Nvidia Inspector introduction and Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Nov 5, 2015.

1. ToasTinButtered

ToasTinButtered Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Mans no problem.... It's just, the thing is, it has been working fine throughout the years, before 372.54. The problem isn't the profiler itself, it's this update that broke the functions of capping w/vsync. I didn't even need this... "Fast Sync" permanently implemented into my card. DDU didn't fix it. Going back to 353.62 and using stone aged nvidia inspector 1.9.7.3 didn't fix it. Seems like there is no going back now, and therefore my SS2 guide on proper vsync fix became irrelevant... I think I posted on wrong thread anyway since 372.54 driver caused it. Whoopsh! :)

If you saw my other post on 372.54 driver thread, I was trying capping fps out and added vids of it. So now I tried your method and didn't make a difference.

Since you say capping + vsync at your high value seem to work on exclusive fullscreen, what driver version did you try this on?

When I choose anything above 58, in-game remains to say 60 (really 58fps).
    Back then when capping + vsync used to work properly, it would be showing like this in-game all before 372.54:

Chosen FPS|=|How It Shows In-Game
    ____56____=____58____
    ____57____=____59____
    ____58____=____60____
    ____59____=____61____
    ____60____=____62____
    ____61____=____63____
    ____62____=____64____

This wasn't just with Serious Sam II, but with a couple of other Serious Sam and Sonic games. This was normal, atleast it was on my end because choosing 60fps was really 60fps, even though it showed as 62 fps in-games, it was really at 60. Not one stutter nor input lag back then. I swear, I was even playing SSII right before update fine.

Sorry for repeating myself, just trying my best to be clear about the change and issue. :/

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I don't notice anything too strange.
    I tested with Serious Sam 3 with both DX9 & 11. When combining fps limiter + Vsync, fps can get a bit more unstable than without Vsync, but nothing too severe on my end.
    e.g. I set fps limit in driver to 58fps (limiter version 2), fps are rock solid at 58fps in game without vsync and between 56-58 with vsync enabled at the same time.
    Serious Sam 2 is technically a bit broken, unfortunately. I never managed to fully fix that nasty stuttering.

I first tested with a synthetic DX11 raytracing benchmark that runs windowed, but I can't borrow its results for actual games. Maybe because it runs with +1200fps, dunno.
    Nvidia driver limiter seems to work very well in games nowadays, frametimes look extremely clean in Battlefield 4. But its in-game fps limiter still has lower input lag.

I personally would never use both fps cap and vsync at the same time btw, since the fps limiter breaks perfect sync. I'd rather use adaptive vsync to have a working sync with lower input lag.
    And because I'm sick of such compromises, I'm gonna order a Gsync display soon.

3. ToasTinButtered

ToasTinButtered Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    HD/3's built-in vsync isn't that bad for me anyway since I always use it, hardly a problem. So I didn't really look into HD/3 as much as I am doing with 2 using profiler.

SS2 has broken vsync built into the game to begin with, so I reported to Dk (game developer) a long time ago if he can fix it. He tried, but the results weren't good for most. But then I learned about Nvidia Inspector and used its vsync + 60fps cap + triple buffering as a work around. Hardly any input lag/0% stutter. So I published it as a guide. You never saw it? I'm sure this would've helped... unless it didn't for you but it did for a couple of players.

Hump. Oh well. Seems like DDU didn't help others who have stutter problems according to geforce forum. I'll just deal with it for now. Thx for the tips.

4. kosmile

kosmile Guest

GPU:
    GTX 760 (4GB)
    Hello. I kettle. How should behave the program, when I select any game profile, and click apply settings? I just silent, it is logical course. The program can be closed? Or it should be in the open position? If I close and open again, there is already a global profile and need?

Thank you.

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Good decision IMO.
    Personally I would never go back after getting my 4K Asus PG27AQ monitor.
    If 4K is too much for your hardware, then the 1440P Asus PG279Q is also a good option.
    Both are IPS monitors BTW, and I can personally vouch for the nice color reproduction on the PG27AQ :)

Adaptive V-Sync is rubbish, and the NVIDIA FPS limiter exposed by Inspector also seems to be a mediocre (and sometimes buggy) solution in my experience.

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Had a AOC AGON AG271QG here with the same panel as the PG27AQ.
    Image quality of this panel is simply terrible, the IPS glow gives the whole image a terrible yellow tint which can't be fixed.
    Will continue to play most games with tearing on my Qnix PLS display with 75Hz instead and gonna send back the AOC crap. Proper colors are more important to me than anything else.
    Won't try further with Acer or Asus either, it's the same crap panel and both companies are known for offering terrible quality too.

7. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Well, I noticed no "yellow tint" at all with my Asus 4K monitor.
    Ruling out Asus and Acer is kinda silly IMO if you are looking for a gaming G-Sync monitor, but whatever ...

8. Qwinn

Qwinn Guest

NPI 2.1.2 is crashing on me on startup on a clean Windows AU installation. I could swear I saw someone post a fixed version somewhere on 3D Guru that a lot of people on AU said worked for them, but for the life of me I can't find it now. Anyone still have that link around?

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Look at the first post and go to the section about downloading it. At the top of that section is a link to download the latest build.

10. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Latest version of profile inspector crashes for me on startup any fix for that?

11. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
  12. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
  13. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    That's straight from the developer (Orbmu2k).

14. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    The fix works fine. I've been using it for the last couple of weeks.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    This link is posted under the section "Downloading" in the OP.:) Has been for a long time now.

16. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Didn't notice the link on the front page thanks anyways. :)

17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    This part is all you need to get Inspector "up and running" so to speak.
    BTW I think the link to the Guru3D SLI thread should be removed entirely, since it is really out of date and quite useless by now.
    Only the 3DCenter SLI thread and my own "master thread" is updated in regards to custom SLI bits and other multi GPU tips and tricks :)

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Will do, thanks!

19. desmonds99

desmonds99 Guest

GPU:
    Hi, I use this software solely to limit the fps to ~60.7 after disabling v-sync on some games. But i just noticed on Rise of the tomb raider, my GPU stays at most 95% usage and refuses to hit 99%, with 48.0 fps.

Then I tried to restore default and remove the fps cap. This time, at the same scene gpu hits 99% usage and fps increases to 49.5. I did this back and forth and got the same results.

I also tried to cap the fps to ~91.9 and it did work, with 98% gpu usage and 49.2 fps. But then there is not much sense for capping fps as all i want is stable frames and avoid generating uncessary heat (I got 60fps for most of the scenes).

Other than the frame rate limiter, everything is untouched. Tried setting prefer maximum performance but no use. Is there any way to prevent this or force gpu usage to 99%? thanks~

I'm using sofeware version 2.12 and nv driver 372.70

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    if you are only getting 95% Gpu usage, that just means your GPU doesn't need to hit 99% to maintain that framerate. Which is a good thing.

It's working as intended. Half the point of limiting the framerate is that the GPU doesn't have to work as hard to put out frames faster than you need.