Worth the Time to Rip Movie DVD's for Plex?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by GarrettL, Aug 5, 2021.

1. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    The title was the question I had due to the modern TV's. Like many I have about 100 movie DVD's taking up space. Many did not have a code to redeem them on Movies Anywhere.

Read about Plex and while very late to the game sounded like it was worth a shot. All ripped movies done with MakeMKV. The TV is an LG CX 65" with an Apple 4K TV streaming box, so no transcoding required. My Plex server is on our home Wifi network.

So how does 480i/p content look? I was blown away at how good 480 can look on a 65" screen. For me, ripping movie DVD's is worth my time. And 1080p movies look fantastic. Never bought any 4K movies on disc, but will likely start buying them now. Plex is easy to set up and the UI is smooth and responsive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Plex server: 3800x, 2070S, x570 mobo

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think 480p looks horrible TBH

But all that matters is how YOU look at it. you seem fine with the quality , so i would say it is not a waste of time to rip them.

3. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    I wasn't trying to say 480 looks great, but for what it is I was very surprised that it performed this well.

I wish all my movies were 1080p.

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Maybe it also has something to do with TVs video upscaling capability?

Till last year on one of the 40"/1080p TVs we were watching old 720p home made videos and they were looking... OK...ish, you can clearly see the difference between 720p and 1080p (made with same digital camera or phone). In December, or it was Novembar 2020, we bought new 43"/4K Philips The One 43PUS8545 and same old 720p videos on new TV look fantastic, almost can't tell the difference when I'm playing 720p, 1080p or native 4K vids on the same TV. Guess P5 processor or whatever in that TV is "doing some sort of upscaling magic" :rolleyes: and breath new life into old vids.

Didn't tried watching 480p vids on Philips above tho, have a lot of these made on my old Canon PowerShot A720 IS some 12, 15 years ago, will try these and let you know.

GarrettL likes this.

5. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    That's one of the reasons why my enthusiasm for 4K BR movies has died down somewhat. The upscaling tech in 4K TV's do some nice work, except for HDR and a slightly sharper image, 1080P and 4K look similar on a 4K TV. I've bough 36 4K BR movies and have stopped doing so, I now intend to get just regular 1080P BR movies as they are more than good enough for me.

GarrettL likes this.