Woman dies in hospital waiting room

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Merton, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Blind assertions which assertion specifically do you think is 'blind'? Five minutes on google before you speak would do you a world of good. Try "patient abuse", "Nursing home abuse", "Nursing home neglect" and you won't even have scratched the surface.

But First let me commit two logical "fallacies" for you:

-> Appeal to authority, my mother has worked for the VA as a MD specialized in geriatrics for 30 years. She first explained the need to visit ones relatives to me when my diabetic grandfather cut his toe slightly and we had to visit him in the hospital.

-> Second anecdotally, my own experience. When I went to check on my grandfather the moisturizer on his breathing tube had run out of water. I noticed this because his nose had become so dry that it was cracked & bleeding.

Now before I go trapezing all over the internet grabbing links. What kind of proof do you want? related lawsuit stats? conviction stats? Examples of institution wide abuse? Hundreds of links to individual cases of abuse & neglect that you could find yourself on google if you bothered? There's a reason why many states AG's have hotlines to report this kind of thing on.
    These things don't exist in a vacuum.

2. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Sniff, sniff, cry, cry, in a nation as large as ours you attempt to make your point by citing such trivial crap? Oh please.

My wife has a far, far more expansive knowledge of American health care than you do and, quite frankly, your claims are suspect, at best. Does your title start with the two letters DR? My wife's title does.

Yep, more government is needed. I want to throw up.
    If you think for one millisecond that socialized medicine would be an improvement over what we have currently, well, enjoy your time in Oz.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  3. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:

Willful ignorance, you didn't even bother reading my post. See fallacy 1.

4. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Once again, you attempt to either generalize a small symptom or ignore reality. Willful ignorance? Hardly.

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So you're claiming neglect and/or abuse is a 'small symptom'?

eta: also what reality is it that you're claiming I'm ignoring?

6. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    This is not the forum to discuss such things. Unfortunately, I've gotten into trouble here in the past for debunking "progressive" garbage due to my sometimes aggressive language. Let's leave our discussion for now.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  7. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I will but there are a few things I need to clear up:

In two elections I think I've voted for one democrat and then only for a local office. In spite of what you seem to think, I do not support nationalized healthcare. I do support a limited national insurance program, as the uninsured often get 'free' ER visits. As for why a party line republican talked about reading Obama's plan, It'd kinda be silly of me to argue against it without reading it.

Most of the examples of system wide patient abuse I would have given you would have been of government programs, prisons, state run mental wards etc. The exceptions being a few private nursing homes.

Lastly my solution to the poor healthcare quality that I claimed was being received by the elderly and the insane was NOT government as you said. the solution I presented was visiting them in the hospital to provide accountability.

8. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    OK bro. It's after 3am here in AK and I've enjoyed a few "beverages" while celebrating Independence Day.

My apologies for any factual ignorance about your info. Honestly.

But, no BS, I have to retire now.

I will gladly debate anything with you later but I"m being honest about my current sitrep. Hasta....

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    ^^ Jeez! This guy like to argue with everyone!

10. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Only with people I believe to be totally wrong. Also, the Johnny Walker I was enjoying for Independence Day didn't help matters.

11. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    Johnny blue or black? Or green?

12. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Red actually. On the rocks. Many.

13. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    All the title "Dr" shows is that you can go through school. I am planning on getting my Ph.D. in computer science, and in terms of life, spirituality, politics, etc, it does absolutely nothing for you. I cannot stand it when people with Ph.D.'s think they are more intelligent than others. All Ph.D. means is that you have a lot of knowledge that makes you better at bull****ting. When I heard someone with a Ph.D. in psychology say that to me, I laughed so hard. It is so true.

My favorite line of all time was when Tim Russert first starting working for Senator Daniel Moynahan and said that he didn't think he was smart enough because all of the other people working there were from Harvard and Yale. The Senator then said “What they know, you can learn. What you know, they can never learn.” (great article: http://johnibiii.wordpress.com/2008...can-learn-what-you-know-they-can-never-learn/)

And by the way, if you think the Health Care system here is perfect, you couldn't be more wrong. It is not terrible, but it is not perfect.

I have known several people that cannot afford health care, and if they were to get injured, they would be ****ed.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  14. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    1) It's not a Ph.D

2) She's spent her entire life in the medical field.

That's all I'm going to say. I was a bit tanked due to Independence Day celebrating when I engaged in that discussion with Dustpuppy and got a bit too belligerent. That's why I quit.

Nobody is arguing that fixes aren't needed in US health care. However, the last thing that is needed is a new massive government bureaucracy and more interference. Competition and other market forces, along with tax breaks and incentives, would be most effective in fighting costs. Not the crap that Obama is proposing.

15. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Universal Health Care aside, I don't understand how tax breaks are going to help a system that could use more funding?

That is one thing I never understood when people say "All democrats are good for is raising taxes!" People want more things, which cost money, tax=money, yet they want lower taxes?

EDIT: The only other alternative is to stop the government from wasting money, which will never happen, especially in a time of war.

(Just so there is no huge argument/breakout/war for people that get upset over politics [which is stupid], I am an independent. I am not registered as a Democrat or Republican. I think both sides have good points mixed with complete bull**** and idiocy).

16. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    What you do is to give low-income folks a tax break to help pay health care premiums. This is done in conjunction with allowing people to deduct money from their paychecks-before taxes-to also help pay for health care.

Plus, tort reform must be made a reality. The ambulance-chasers have caused insurance costs to skyrocket and actually forced many doctors to outright quit practicing. And guess who are the top contributors to the Democratic Party?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/17/AR2008021701734.html

It's pretty disgusting actually.

17. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Yes, but look how much debt our country is in now. It is insane. It is over 9 trillion dollars. That is not okay. I don't care if you are a democrat, republican, independent, green party, whatever. That is NOT okay.

Bush supposedly gave tax breaks to the middle class, but I never saw this so called "break". Neither did my parents. Neither did my sister. Neither did my aunt and uncle. All of us are middle class, if not lower middle class.

I am not saying it didn't happen, I am saying I never saw the tax break.

18. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    And that link you posted is typical politics. Does it surprise me that Democrats received money from telecommunications companies? not at all. That stuff happens all the time. Look at drug companies.

Look how many times Dick Cheney has met with Oil companies. Then look how many times he has met with clean energy researchers/companies.

Like I said before, both sides, democratic and republican, are filled with bull****.

EDIT: No more politics. I know the mods have their fingers on the "closed" button :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  19. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    its so close. Good debate is welcome, just dont get personal and always be civil :)

20. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    What good would you mods be if we didn't cause trouble anyway? :)