Windows XP not booting

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Santa666, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    So I made myself a problem, and can´t solve it
    My System has 4 S-ATA Hard-Drives, in an unusual configuration in more than ohne Way.
    Channel 1 - 250GB Samsung - 2 Partitions, first of them Windows XP
    Channel 2 - 640GB Samsung - 5 Partitions, first containing boot.ini of XP
    Channel 3 - 1000GB Seagate - 2 Partitions
    Channel 4 - 750GB Seagate - 4 Partitions, first Windows 7

I have Windows XP running via the Windows 7 Bootmanager with the assigned Drive-Letter "D". I never had any problems with this, and it´s not the source of this one.

I firstly had a Seagate 250GB HD in Channel 1, but it was getting old, so I decided to clone it onto the Samsung 250GB that i had in spare using Easeus Partition Master.

Now after cloning and using the Samsung on the same Channel as the Seagate before when is select Windows XP in the Windows 7 Bootmanager it says something like "Ntoskrnl.exe is missing"

I booted into Windows 7, mounted the Partition with Windows XP to see if the Ntoskrnl.exe was missing, but it was just where it has to be.
    Then I tried booting with the Windows-XP CD and it showed me that my Drive-Letter for Windows XP is "F".

So now I know why it isn´t finding any Files, but I haven´t found a way by now to assign a drive-letter before Windows launches.
    Now I am only able to boot Windows XP when I unhook Channel 3+4

Anyone else an Idea that could help me out?

2. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    take out all drives leaving only the windows 1 and boot then assign the drive as D:\ then re-add the other drives and see if that has worked

3. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    Problem is, the Drive is mapped "D" in Windows XP Drive-Manager and has no letter at all in Windows 7 (set to Hidden intentionally, same goes for Windows 7 Partition in Windows XP)

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    When dual-booting, it doesn't matter what letter you assign the system drive, it will always be "C" once Windows loads.

Also it sounds like your boot files are on a different disk/partition than the OS.

5. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    Yep, bootmgr and boot.ini are on "C" in Windows XP, which is under Windows 7 set as "D"
    I know it´s not common to have a Windows System installed on another Drive than "C", but it was for me the last 3-4 years with no failures. Just since the cloning there is something wrong with the mapping of the former "D", where Windows XP is located.
    ("C" is located on the 640GB Samsung which is also set as Boot-Drive in the BIOS)

6. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    Command Full Back

Got the Problem sorted out...
    Saw in the Windows Drive-Manager Window that the Seagate 750GB´s first
    Partition was set as active, which did not seem to be right.
    So I started diskpart, selected the 250GB Disks first Partition containing Windows XP, set it to active and rebooted just for trying.
    Worked like a charm, now XP boots again out of the Bootmanager

Thanks for the Brain-Involvement, mine is now functioning again :bang:

Case closed