Windows 8 Gets "Overwhelmingly Negative" Response from Vendors, Expectations Plummet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2012.

1. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I repeat this a lot but here it goes. Try Start8. Don't bash it until you try it. I was VERY Anti Win8 until I did.

Not only do you get the start bar back, but it enables you to boot directly to the desktop skipping metro. If you so desire, you won't have to ever look at metro again.

It does not introduce bugs, slowdowns, or any latency issues either. My SSD's never felt more at home. I ran Bench 32 and my jaw dropped.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    They said there would be some changes for desktop mode (like changing aero icons) yet as far as I see it is no different than the release preview. Unless you use custom themes or 3rd party software it looks like a total wasteland now.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You do realize they can patch Windows to block Start8?

4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I donĀ“t like w8 and (.)(.) is the most beautiful nickname ever.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why would they do that when they haven't taken a stance on those types of modifications ever?

And if you refer to something like this:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti..._Windows_8_Start_button_boot_to_desktop_hacks

They didn't block start8, they stripped out the legacy elements for the old UI, any workaround that created it's own elements still worked, including Start8.

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    What the hell is the point in getting Win 8 and Start8, you may as well stick with Win 7 if your just going to buy Win 8 and turn it back into 7 :p

7. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Start8 won't change my stance regarding Win8, I don't want to bother with 3rd party for something I've been totally fine with ever since Win95

Start8 also boosts Win8's sales, which MS sure likes, we can't have that happening:evil:

8. Timo2

Timo2 Guest

GPU:
    9600m GT (280 burned out)
    Shhhh! Give it up, all of you.
    Windows 8 is interesting. Very fast. Very new. Installed this morning. And I think "windows" as we know it is, as far as the interface is concerned, turning into media center. I've noticed that theme since Vista sp2. Fonts, display parameters, layers. It's media center. You know what I mean? As for Start button...Check this:

Damn. Can't post pics. Anyone know why?

9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Answer the question, it ain't hard and just to quote you

You made a statement about boot stability, over clocks and Win 8. so show us what your reasoning is for this assumption.

Well at least I wouldn't have to upgrade my GPU, at least I hope the 670 would do the job.

10. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Because you're running Windows 8? :)

11. Timo2

Timo2 Guest

GPU:
  12. Timo2

Timo2 Guest

GPU:
    My system, online, is different. W7 with certain security features. I was wondering if it's "only 12 posts"

13. Timo2

Timo2 Guest

GPU:
    Well. Tried Firefox16 on 7 sp1 - No image posting.
    Used ie10 on 8 - No image posting.
    used ff16 on 8 - no image posting.

Jelsoft forums are ok in another one I just tested. Strange.

14. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    this. lol

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    From what I've seen W8 offers nothing that I can't get from W7. Having to use a third party app to allow the usual desktop screen, feels wrong. Let's face it, PC's desktops just ain't used as much as they once were. So I can understand why W8 is the way it is. Consoles and tablets are what MS are focussing on these days.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    For those intrested:
    Q6600 - Palit 8800GT 512Mb (oh how I've missed you) - 4Gb ram - ASUS P5KC Motherboard - Nvidia Driver 306.97 - Vsync on.

Far Cry 2 - Ultra (DX10) 0x AA - 1920x1080
    -Win VIsta x64 - min 29, avg 45, max 60.
    -Win 8 x64 - See above give or take a few.

Really no point in upgrading to 8 for myself as a gamer of the PC platform and like mentioned once you throw Start8 in there its just Win 7 minus the pretty Aero, and on that - Why include the High Contrast themes that they've kept since as far back as i can remember but not Aero?

Again if you on XP then might aswell go for Win8 if only for future updates and support seeing as it the latest windows. I like it but dont see its point when Win 7 is doing everything fine (I myself use Vista and wont be upgrading anytime soon).

It just.... isnt needed by anyone already on a current platform of the last few years.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Worst interface ever. A couple of good features, but mostly poo.

Trying to navigate my way through it is like finding my way out of a maze while blindfolded.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What is so hard to navigate about it?

19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    yeah it does feel clumsy, but for me its more of the fact that there is so many ways to get to the same thing. They pretty much turned the start button into a folder with that File/Folder Explorer button pinned to the taskbar. Everything was all in one place now with win 8 it just feels spread out.

I feel the need to go back and play with it more but more for the fact that it's something new not so much something useful or more efficient.

20. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    Win 8 is great, it's has lot's of good points that speak for themselves:

- It's got electrolytes
    - It boots faster
    - It's what plants crave
    - It's got electrolytes

And the best, with third party software that cost extra you can make the desktop work like win 7! Don't forget it's got electrolytes!