What was so "Bad" about Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pimp_gimp, Sep 29, 2009.

1. dshramek

dshramek Guest

2. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    XP won't run on my pentium i486 therefore it is a resource hog too.

3. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    Each to their own :p

imo

Microsoft's worse OS's:
    Win98
    WinME
    Vista

Microsoft's best OS's:
    Win 95 OSR2 (why is n-9-5 blocked in this forum?)
    Win98SE
    XP SP2
    Win7 (excellent with no service pack! now thats saying something)

I think most of us can agree with that.

4. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    You don't like the blue and green?

[​IMG]
    I love the blue and green!:banana:

5. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    I like blue and green, I just dont like Vista's choice of green shade - you know that dull army green color.

Thats not the main reason though ROFL, its just a color.

Nice background by the way, new wallpaper ftw lol

6. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I can't remember where I got this one, but it's very calming. ;)

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I like it. I'm gonna borrow it. :D

9. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    So was XP and I remember everyone saying the same.

Mine actually ran the same or faster with the excpetion of the copy large files bug that existed prior to the hotfix.
    Just like XP when it came out. Most apps designed for 98 didn't work in XP. I had many that didn't work at the time as well as hardware that didn't have drivers. The same was true for games.

If people are old to enough to remember or do away with their selective memory they will remember that XP at launch was very similar to VISTA at launch. Actually, I believe Windows 98 was similar over 95 and 95 was the same to Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.1 and earlier did the same to DOS.

10. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    I agree, but XP was new and exciting. It was a huge step up from WinME and worth the effort getting around the glitches.

Here's Microsoft's routine:

Win 95 - efficient and stable
    Win 98 - bloated and buggy
    Win 98SE - efficient and stable (they fixed up Win98)
    Win ME - - bloated and buggy
    Win XP - efficient and stable (they fixed up WinME+NT4)
    Win Vista - bloated and buggy
    Win 7 - efficient and stable (they fixed up Vista)

Win 8 - bloated and buggy? (MS will probably take Win7 and add a whole lot of cr@p to it lol)

11. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Vista has major problems with low end (Pre-Duo) hardware.

Problem is, 80% of the general PC users still have Pentium 4's (or below). And for them, XP ran fine, and Vista ran much slower. Throw in game compabaility issues (no 16-bit support), the necessity of new drivers (still a problem for some devices), and everything generally being moved around, is it any shock the general user hates the thing?

Fact is, there is nothing Vista can do any better then XP that the general PC user needs. Thats the crux of the problem.

12. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    While I agree with you that doesn't mean that the enthusiast or high end users should be held back to accommodate those with less needs. The reason XP got to where it ended was the need for those using 32-bit computing, advanced driver models, etc.

Oh, and XP moved everything around compared to previous versions too. So based on that argument there was no need for XP over 98.

I think it mostly has to do with the general reluctance to change. I do software training and I can tell you first hand that people are lazy and most do not want to learn anything new. Those that do, usually reap the rewards big time and the lazy ones get left behind.

This isn't a flame post. Like I said, I agree with you. I just think there is more to it than that and we shouldn't hold back the ones that push technology forward. If we did, they innovation gets stifled.

13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Wish it was dude, its not, superfetch is disabled, i have 0 control over it, ive been tweak vista on 3 different platforms, the other 2 were completely fine but with i7 it goes into using all available memory as cache and wont free it, if i run a game it takes forever to load then i have loads of free mem again after i quit the game. It seems as if its superfetch or rather disabling superfetch doesnt actually disable it, tbh im done with it. Im gonna go back to XP when i get home from honeymoon and get Windows 7 ultimate the day its out( on the cheap of course :) )

14. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I totally disagree. I see people everyday with laptops that are less than a couple of years old; and the same with desktops. There's a lot fewer than 80% with old hardware. As far as "nothing Vista can do better", being able to type into the 'start' menu and have just about any app open within 2 seconds was enough to make me switch.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I can't agree with that at all. I had nothing but problems with Wi*** and XP....had no problems what so ever with 98, ME or Vista. I have literally run Vista on computers ranging from an AthlonXP 2800+, to a Core 2 Quad Q9550.....have also run it on Sempron's and Celeron's. I've never had any performance issues at any point. I've even countered Paul Thourrot's claims that Vista lacked performance when his dumbass tried to run it on a 2.4ghz P4a with 32mb integrated graphics and 512mb ram. I guess he was too stupid to figure out the 400mhz FSB was killing his performance. I ran it perfectly on a P4b 2.66ghz with 512mb ram and 16mb integrated graphics and had no performance issues what so ever.....computer was rock solid through Vista alphas, betas, RC1, RC2 and RTM. My Celeron 550 based laptop runs Vista just fine as well. It's like running Win98 on a 1ghz Athlon. Can't really blame MS or Vista for the inabilities of the user or system builder...