What game started off PC gaming for you?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Steven Hone, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 460 GTX
    Silent service on orginal nintendo

2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Damn, i must travel back further, i had Pong on a Binatone system in 1982 lmao, had a gun too for shooting a square blob, and those paddles, wow, they could be great fun to use again

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I used to have a technigraph version with two controllers and rotating switches for control, to make it extra tricky you could play doubles tennis then you had to control two lines at once.

[​IMG]

4. easy2007

easy2007 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    1982 wow u've gone to far bk.

5. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Marathon and Damage Incoporated got me really into Mac gaming. Not long after that it was Quake 2 on PC that really wowed me, I remember staring at the pictures in gaming magazines simply wishing my family had a computer, a decent one, that wasn't a macintosh LCIII. Never really got a PC until 2005/2006, which is when I really started on PC gaming, unfortunately before that I was stuck on macs.

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    lol, well i took a break for 6 years after that and got envious of my neighbours C64

7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Blood 1 which was a hilarous ride at such an early age, but what really did it for me was Thief: The Dark Project
    http://archive.gamespy.com/halloffame/august01/thief/

"Thief is the single most terrifying, immersive, and rewarding game I have played and the one single-player game I continue to replay. In addition to the overriding stealth gamestyle, it is loaded with unique elements that hold one in the world. I love the setting, a medieval tech fantasy world that owes less to D&D than to such literary lights as Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance and Michael Shea. It has a spare, but well-crafted storyline, eccentric NPCs, brilliant verse, and unparalleled sound design. Then there are the enormous, intricate levels: Sprawling towns (both populated and ruinous), haunted crypts, bizarre mansions, lost cities, and the finest subterranean sequences in any game the climactic level being a surreal descent that convinced me I had scrambled many miles towards the earth's core. There are countless books I wish I had written; Thief is one of the few games I wish I had worked on."

- Marc Laidlaw, Valve (writer/designer: Half-Life)

The first computer I had was a Pentium 166 with MMX technonology!, 1.7GB harddrive and I believe 32MB of ram. 2MB Vram on a very bad graphiccard but atleast I could use 24-bit color at a resolution that my friend could not :D
    Lots of time went to configure games to get them to work, especially sound.
    Then the upgrades were quick but costly since Intel dominated so much. The first 3dfx with accelerated graphics was a huge boost for graphics but it quickly become absolete and I had to buy a card from rising star Nvidia with it's TNT which doubled the framerates...

I also paid a large sum of money for my 6.4GB very noisy IBM deskstar...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    The first computer game that I played a lot was a clone of a boardgame called Penta that I wrote in Databus on the Datapoint computers in college in 1978.

The last computer game I played a lot was The Witcher...The Witcher is better ;)

9. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Mysteries of the Sith, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, G-Police.

10. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080

11. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    doom :) and blood :)

12. notyou

notyou Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    One of the 1st computer games I played was Castle Wolfenstein & Beyond Castle Wolfenstein for the Apple back in the early 80's.

13. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    maming peoples heads off with pitch forks than kicking them around like footballs.

those were the days.

14. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    barbarian by mastertronic

look it up guys it's touted as a crappy game but i loved that sh*t

15. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    i think it was duke nukem and wolfenstein
    my first computer came preloaded with many games and i think they were on it

16. mystic_pr0ject

mystic_pr0ject Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780Ti 3GB
    my very first game was choplifter on the sega master system followed by duck hunt

my first PC game was Fury3 on an Cyrix 233Mhz with 14MB RAM

ahh those were the days :beam:

17. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    Ah, memories. Games I remember playing dedicatedly:

Descent
    Hi-Octane
    Doom (utlimate collection bought for me aged 11 by parents)
    Quake II
    Terminal Velocity

Obviously there are loads of others I played but those stand out as the games I loved when I was younger and really cemented PC Gaming for me.

What's funny, all throughout growing up and even now, I keep telling myself how lucky I was to grow up in an age beyond the primitive Ataris, Commodores, etc. It's hard to believe that I grew up on some of the games I've listed above....and used to think they looked the biz. Nowadays, even kids of a decent age don't know anything other then Playstation 2, etc...funny how it's all relative but you tend not to think about it that way.

Quake II was the game that made my family upgrade, at the time, being the age I was, I hadn't a clue about computers....didn't know why QII was running so badly on my 166mhz Pentium I and 16mb ram/software mode due to lack of video.

God bless my family for that - it they weren't so dedicated into continuously getting new machines pretty much solely so me and my sister could play games, I'd never have gotten so much into PC gaming. They replaced that PI/16mb Ram with a P3 550mhz/128mb Ram/32mb TNT2Pro in early 1999 - which cost an absolute fortune, as it was high end tech at the time. Just so I could play my games....

God my parents must think more of me then I give them credit for.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  18. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090
    When I went to live in MN for a few months back in 1997, I saw my cousin playing Warcraft2 and was hooked onto the computer.

19. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Well, there were numerous games on the C64 that had me hooked; Turrican, Bubble Bobble etc etc

Then there was my 386 SX16 (4MiB ram lol) which I got lots of games for off disks that came with computer mags!

Then of course my SNES!!!!!! Nearly every game for that was brilliant!

So I suppose its not so much PC gaming where it started for me, but computer gaming in general!

20. zigihammer

zigihammer Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060
    F 29 Rataliator 1991 ;]
    River Raid C64
    Montezuma C64
    Bulderdash C64