We ARE melting!!!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Faiakes, Aug 12, 2005.

1. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

DONT' STOP GLOBAL WARMING!!!

if we didn't have global warning.. we would be freezing our asses off right now

we are sposed to be in another ice age right now

2. Beren-OneHand

Beren-OneHand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    nobody has to die
    a few people (maybe half) need to not have any children
    the rest get 1
    and then when we hit the desired amount we only make enough to replace the ones that go

3. rEbirTH

rEbirTH Guest

wow, it ought to be illegal for people like to talk about things you have zero understanding of. glaciers are NOT ice cubes to begin with. same principle does NOT apply. too much to explain, i give up.

4. Faiakes

Faiakes Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    I understand the dilema but I think it is a false one.

The reason is simple. If the climate is dirupted then we're all pretty much f***ed, in more ways than one, and far more severely than the (possibility) of losing our job.

It all comes down to the goverment, if the goverment really wants to it can freeze prices to protect smaller businesses, give emergency grants and generally help the transition to a gree economy proceed very smoothly indeed. But it doesn't want to (for the reasons I quoted above).
    I don't think so, USA is not the only country to not have signed the treaty.
    Actually I have, i have a poll running in the Software forum about which the best P2P program is. Go and vote boy:whip:

Aaah, jeez you're making me blush now, thanks. :rolleyes: You think I'm left? You should check some of the other guys here!

To brainxp:
    Oh, the money can come from the military budget which is huge (in every country) and more than enough to cover all transistion costs to the green economy.

To Dukeman:
    Yes i did, and it dispelled all the confusion about why there were scientists who were still refusing to accept the reality of global warming.

About Cows farting :)
    The thing with cows is the double effect of their existence.

Cows require open grass fields upon which to graze. So greedy, ruthless capitalists are going to the Amazon, cutting down ancient trees to make space for those open grass fields, cows come, eat the grass, and then start farting us to death :bonk: (sorry but I just couldn't help myself, it's a just a very silly concept to grasp).

not only do we loose the vast amnounts of oxygen production the forest was providing but at the same time we are replacing with the methane of the cows. Double damage, we are :peeright: on our future.

(Plus, the cows contrinbute to the world hunger problem as it is 7 times as inefficient to breed cows for meat than to use the land for crops.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005

5. dukeman

dukeman Guest

do you know we only get around 7% of our O2 from land based plants. the rest comes from the ocean.

we should be more concerned with ocean preservation then the rainforest, which is renewable anyhow.

6. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Did you even read the article that I posted? If the world is getting warmer, there's nothing that can be done to stop it. And now you say let's take the funding from the military so that we can render ourselves defenseless while we "try" to save the enviromnent in vain. (Our tax dollars still fund the military, but at least that money goes into something that can actually produce results.)

Also, Antartica shrinks and grows every year naturally due to the seasons.

If we want to help protect the environment (except global warming, which is impossible to stop if it actually were occurring), it's a whole lot more feasible for citizens to do their part than to involve goverments which are by nature bureaucratic. Examples? Don't buy that Chevy Suburban unless you have a family of eight or nine or need it for heavy trailer towing. Dispose of old computer parts by taking them to proper disposal centers--that way the chemicals won't get into your water. Consolidate driving errands. Keep your car well tuned. Dispose of used motor oil at places that recycle it (Advance Auto Zone does it.) Reuse, recycle, and reduce. I mean simple common sense things that you can do as a person that helps out the environment--and it only costs more time than money.

Why do we need to take tax dollars out of people's incomes for an issue for which we aren't sure exists and could not stop if it did anyway? Are you really that scared that the coastlines are gonna disappear with massive flooding and cities lying underwater?

7. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    Is that true? I didn't realise that , very intresting.

8. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super

[​IMG]
    Beef, it's what's for dinner.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
  10. mcnabb311

mcnabb311 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X ATI 4870 512MB X-Fired
    Steak is good, I love to eat cow.

11. Faiakes

Faiakes Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    You have slightly misunderstood Global warming. It's true we can't just stop it at will but what is also important is its duration and its intensity.

So to answer your question, we should keep going green so that we may escape with the least possible casualties and recover to normal climatic conditions as soon as possible.
    Well, that is no longer true, now that huge ancient crepids are being cut off there is more shrinking and less growing.
    I agree with all of that.
    I thought, by your own post, the issue was shown to exist, and these latest 2 examples I gave, verify. I mean glacier/crepid Larsen B was cut off and started melting for the first time ever since it was created (12.000 years ago!).
    I live in on Greek island mate! If the sea level rises as much as 1.5 meters, 1/3 of my own friends and relatives will become homeless, 1/2 will lose their livelyhoods.

Yes this is very serious to me.

12. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Doesn't the moon do that with the tides from its gravitational pull?

13. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    The question is not if the earth is getting warmer or not. TBH it has gotten warmer in the last 100years..by about .1-.4C

The real issue is if it is man-made. There are several reasons to doubt it is:

1. There has been no mechnism to show how well ground emmisions mix throughout the atmosphere. Thermal layers are really good at stopping mixing. Same goes for ozone depletion.

2. We are still comming out of the last ice age. So it is probable the melting and warming is a result of that.

3. last and most important so I will emphsize it. It is hubris to believe man has the power to alter the earth. We simply don't. Mt Pinatubo released more particulates into the atmosphere in a few hours then man has done in 600 years of burning fossil fuels. It also cooled down the earth by about 1C for a few years. Man can barely understand the power of a volcano much less emulate it.

Fossil fuels will run out very soon..probaby within 50 years...so I see no reason to make drastic changes right now. The more we use the faster they will go away.

14. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    That was hillarious :p

I agree completely on the global warming issue. I do wish Dubya would have signed the Kyoto treaty. When large corporations say the measures are too drastic and cost too much....then I see them driving Hummers, Escalades, living in large homes at the country club, wearing expensive jewelery, etc....I can't help but shake my head in disgust. I guess they are in debt up to their ear holes (I don't see how when you look at their salaries) and are afraid of having to declare bankruptcy. They always seem to find a way to pass the expenses down the line though....

I really have a hard time understanding anyone who is not environmentally conscious. They must be incredibly stupid or basely ignorant.

It seems we have found something we can agree on ;)

15. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    It can't be denied that the environment does the major part of the polluting. However, it was designed that way and it is self sufficient. We are catalyst to the process. We can either help it or hurt it. We have to learn to work with nature and not tip the scale in an unfavorable manor. Everything has a saturartion point. I don't we can change nature....but we can change ourselves and our consumption habits. That is what is important. Nature doesn't care if we are here or not. Think not...ask the dinosaurs. Yes, their extinction may have resulted from something else...but nature is impartial, and you don't want negative karma with nature. That whip whips hard.

16. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    When did I post that? What I said was if it is happening, then mankind isn't responsible for it. Now let me ask you again did you read the article that I posted? And why stiff the military and render your nation defenseless just to "try" to be green?

How are polar glaciers formed? By the freezing of existing seawater. Since water is recycled in some form or another. If more water is being added to the oceans, where's it coming from?

I thought Greece was quite mountainous and rocky. However, if what you say is true, I don't envy your local building codes there. Parts of New Orleans, Louisiana are very close to sea level. There hurricanes are much more of a flood threat than any global warming.

And yes I did post suggestions on how to be earth friendly. However, it doesn't have to involved goverments, nor should it. Do people in government know what's best for the people. NO! Individuals collectively can do far more to impact their local world than a goverment can. Depending on a goverment for help (other than for national defense) is a recipe for failure.

17. Faiakes

Faiakes Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    I think I did, unless I am confusing it with some other article or misunderstood it.
    My thought was that when the s**t has hit the fan, people all over the world will be more concerned with doing sth aboutit rather than warring against each other, hence the military budget could diverted to this issue. (besides, who on earth are you afraid of out there? The Canadians or the Mexicans? cheez!)
    It is, but it also has more than 2.000 islands and a coastline equal to almost half of the entire European continent!

It's not the building codes' fault. Greece is a tourist destination, there is a huge amount of businesses located right on the shore line, and as a result quite a few people have moved there now. 40 years ago very few Greeks lived on sea level (too much salty humidity).

The tide in Greece is actually very small (about 1m), I meant above that. Besides when winters comes the waves can reach much higher and longer.
    I agree that individuals can help a lot. But if you want to turn the tide around in the energy production sector the greedy corporations will never do it on their own. They make huge profits from the status quo.

If we have to move fast then the goverment has to intervene for everybodys' sake and force some reason into them.

18. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Well good luck in your campaign for something super beyond what we as humas are capable of in order to save mother earth. People are always asking governments or organizations larger than ppl themselves for a miracle. If that's what you want. You'll need five premises...

1. Earth: You'll need to replenish whatever land to be lost to global warming.

2. Wind: as in influence, you know, as in the winds of change. You may have already influenced a couple ppl here (not me of course.)

3. Fire: Fire purifies and gets rid of the impurities. Don't want impurities damaging the environment, do you?

4. Water: As in putting more water back on the glaciers you believe to be receding.

5. Heart: You can't do this and not care about can you.

If you combine all these premises into one big super campaign, you basically get what's in your new avatar that I have made just for you.

Captain Planet
    [​IMG]

REMEMBER! THE POWER IS YOURS!!!!!

19. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Well, a female scientist on TV the other day said they plan on taking the excess gases to Mars. They are going to bag them up and send them on Mars missions in an attempt to warm the planet suitable for living.

Interesting.....

I'll hunt for a link....if there is one.

20. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Well, mother earth will be here regardless. Question is....will it be suitable for us ;)

I don't think the changes that are neccessary are beyond our ability to correct. People just aren't motivated enough. Maybe they aren't scared enough. Personally, I don't see why fear should play a major role. Respecting the planet should be common sense. Besides....if you would have mentioned to the cavemen we would be flying in airplanes and discussing issues with people we can't see on something as abstract as the internet they would have beat you to death with a bone. I think we are capable of quite much....given the proper impetous to explore....

Nice avatar by the way. I may use it myself.