Upgrading Storage to SATA SSD\NVME

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by coc, Jul 19, 2021.

1. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    good morning

il start with my current pc specs just to be informative:

i7 7700
    Asus H270 strix
    16GB 2800Mhz
    1070GTX ( i plan to switch for 6700XT, playing on 1080P\60hz)
    1 x 2TB regular HDD for general use ( including gaming, i know im late to the party )
    1 x 120GB old SSD for OS

i am planning to buy a new GPU ( best price i will find ), and upgrade my PC with a new SSD. browsing online on these issues including in our forum raised some questions on my part, so il be glad for some helpful comments.

my most demanding usage is gaming. mostly single player gaming, with the new d2 resurrected in mind.
    the other usage is working on excel, internet, music.. and that's mostly it.

*price is not a main factor here, considering the difference that i saw between NVME and SATA.

1. reliability issues - NVME or SATA ssd ?
    2. should i split the OS and my Steam\gaming libraries to two different SSD's or just buy a one big SSD ?

thank you.

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    1. you're not gonna see much difference between nvme and sata other than sequential speeds (copying files). 4000mb/s vs 500mb/s looks huge but compare random transfer rates and it's pretty close 40-50mb/s vs 60-70mb/s for 4k reads

2.reliability is same for both

3. doesn't matter if you split or not,realistically.

at this point buying nvme is better cause the difference in price is minimal,they are a tiny bit faster and also more convenient.
    I recommend looking into

1.hp ex920/950,hynix p31 or sx8200pro drives for good value in gaming systems
    2. 970evo (yes,the old one,not the plus) for general value since they do sell 10-20%,cheaper than 970 evo plus and perform very close.atm im seeing 970evo 1tb selling 30% cheaper than same but evo plus.
    3. sn850 if you're looking for the absolute best.it's a pcie4 drive but what matters most is random r/w performance,so the pcie speed doesn't matter much.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  3. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    thanks for your help.

i also saw this today - https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/m...0-and-will-not-be-a-windows-11-exclusive.html
    seems like another reason to go for the NVME.

just one quick question on the split issues - does it matter if i will take a 250GB for the OS\EXCEL\APPS on a SATA connection,
    and some NVME like the 970EVO only for gaming ?

my concern is that some data from the Steam library for example is saved on the OS drive.. meaning some data will be written on the
    SATA SSD etc.. i lack the knowledge to really understand if those things matter or not.

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    just the steam app is on the os drive.
    250g drives are just not cost effective.better buy a big 2tb drive and install everything on it os,games,other files.
    kc2500 2tb is a great buy,both for performance/dollar and gb/dollar

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021

5. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    well.. an update.

eventually i found myself purchasing a 2TB 870 EVO SATA SSD.

i had an option to get the Samsung or some other Intel model which was older than the 870 EVO.

i made the purchase through my workplace, so the price was extremely good but i had no option to buy any NVME model.

anyways thanks for the help. seems like i will install a fresh win 10 on it this weekend.