Unreal Engine 5 revealed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by XenthorX, May 13, 2020.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Download the City demo (18Gb):
    Google Drive
    Mega
    1fichier.com

I have made a video and posted download link in description:

That's literally the most up to date, cutting edge version of the engine, had to do a couple hours of bug fixes to be able to package and run the project without crashing <.<

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Oh no. Not Mega.
    Because of their limits of downloads, it's almost impossible to download a file that big.
    Could you upload to https://1fichier.com/
    It's free and doesn't even require an account.

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Surely, just did, but it seems now they need to process the file with their anti virus before being able to download:
    https://1fichier.com/?ddbwcm7y015bp2oqx56h

4. Looks good. But I'm afraid that those frametime spikes during swap of world partitions (package loading) will never be fixed. Their package loading is bound to many internal systems. It would take a lot of effort to rewrite this.

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    After trying out the demo, I have to say this package by XenthorX is better than the original that I tried.
    At first, I thought there is less ghosting artifacts with TSR. But adjusting the time of day, matching the other demo, I found it's the same.
    But performance is significantly better. TSR 67% now runs as well as DLSS, reaching a very similar frame rate.
    There is still stuttering from shader compilation. But after going around a bit, it becomes less of an issue.

This is clearly a nice improvement. Thanks to XenthorX, for a work well done.

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Added a google drive link

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  7. It isn't.

8. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    There is. Some is from asset streaming and some is from shader compilation.
    I ran the demo 3 times already. The first time was by far the one that had the worst stuttering, most with spikes in frame time.
    For example, when the demo starts and does a dive into the ground. On the first run, it was a stutter mess. But after a couple of runs, it's smooth, despite the frame rate being relatively low.

9. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Thanks for the new compiled demo first of all.

It runs significantly worse for me after setting the effects/textures/aa/etc. quality to 4 instead of 3 through the INI file. It's a kind of slide show, but less blurry and jittery as one would expect. Leaving everything at default instead lets the demo run smoothly. Probably modifying those variables bring to an actual change with this new version.

EDIT: improving AA quality does not impact framerate that much and it looks much better. On the other hand, trying to bring GI quality and reflection quality to 4 totally kills the framerate on my system. I had the impression that those reflections on cars do not use SSR anymore, there is no cutoff when moving the camera. In fact, in scenes with lots of cars on screen I experienced a much worse framerate than before.

One question: is SM6 already supported by the current gen of GPUs?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Just as a note, the level 4 is for Cinematic quality really:
    0:Low / 1:Medium / 2:High / 3:Epic / 4:Cinematic

In the engine it's not even referred as level 4 in configurations, but as "Cine".
    settings.jpg

There's a new high quality reflection solution for transculent materials. Using "front layer" .. it's only enabled on Reflection Quality 4/Cinematic.
    Should be at least visible on every car windows.

Think i'll package a version with a menu to edit settings in game.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022

11. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Incredible stuff from Berdu as always.

Xtreme512 and XenthorX like this.
  12. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    How are you comparing DLSS in this version? He built it without DLSS.

13. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I'm comparing to a previous package that had DLSS.

14. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Not really a fair comparison... but after testing the performance of TSR between the two builds is identical.

15. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Well, I got a 4-5 fps performance increase with this new demo, using TSR.
    And yes, it's fair, because it shows improvements in the game engine development.

16. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Im not gonna argue with you. TSR did not change. All improvements are under the hood and show the same increases for DLSS.

17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The previous demo using DLSS used UE5.0
    This demo compiled by XenthorX, uses UE5.1

18. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    and you are stating that TSR is as fast as DLSS (separate hardware tensor mathematics acceleration), which is not feasible.

19. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    DLSS and TSR have both overheads in the rendering pipeline.
    Like I said, I have now the same frame rate using TSR at 67%, with this demo in UE 5.1, as I had with DLSS Quality in the previous demo, using UE5.0
    I did manage to test both demos with TSR disabled. To see if there is a performance difference. The result was a 1-2 fps difference, with advantage to the UE5.1 demo.

If XenthorX can compile the UE5.1 with DLSS, we can compare if there is also an improvement here.

Mind you, it's not difficult for an upscaling solution to have better performance than DLSS 2.x
    In UE4 games, using TAAU+TAA Gen4, we get higher frame rate than using DLSS 2.x
    Normalizing to frame rate, I found in previous tests, in games, that DLSS 2.x gets around the same performance as TAAU+TAAGen4 @ 75%.

The difficult thig is not to get the same performance as DLSS 2.x.
    The real issue, is to get the same image quality. DLSS 2.x is doing more than TAAU or TSR. Whatever it might be, and it shows in image quality.

20. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    "DLSS 2.x is doing more than TAAU or TSR. Whatever it might be, and it shows in image quality"

DLSS is literally doing exponentially more work, as it performs tensor operations (the actual holy grail of graphics technology) that CPUs and CUDA cores cannot do, because they are over 100 times too slow.

This whole homogenization of all of this RTX, DLSS, TSR, FSR is "hiding" the most important advancement in graphics technology, maybe ever: Tensor math acceleration. That is what "DLSS" is doing, and allegedly they were also being used for de-noising raytracing artifacts (also done with tensor operations).

My point is that tensor acceleration is the future of graphics; its unavoidable. So if TSR and DLSS and performing the same in a like for like scenario, something is fundamentally broken.