Try Portal untill the 24th for FREE!!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, May 12, 2010.

1. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    i just see that on my friend´s blog, and i´m downloanding it now, looks mindblowing btw

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have it with my Orange Box, never even installed it...

3. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    You should- that and TF2 are by far the best parts of the package

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea i only wanted TF2 and waited a bit until they released a separate dvd for it :)

anyway tnx for info White^ i already download it yesterday, gonna play a bit now:D

edit: hm i thought i played longer after 44min im @ lvl 14.. doesn't look like 5hr game play, more like 2hrs max, if i count that the rest 5 would be a bit harder :D

Last edited: May 13, 2010

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´ve already downloaded it and finish it and i´m a little disappointed... After the amazing reviews i read about the game, i expected the game to be much better but the original concept looses it´s appeal after the first 10 levels because the gameplay it´s too repetitive. Also i completed the game in 3 hours...

Still it was free, so ok.

6. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    A few extra levels out there too, to keep you challenged (mods) Decent brain tickler/timing and patience game.

7. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Man I wish all PC games ran as good as Portal does. I have it maxed out @ 1920x1080, max AA & it never drops below 60FPS(Vsync on). I just love the fact that it doesn't have an ounce of jaggies. Even though there isn't a lot going on & the textures aren't the best, the crispness kinda of makes up for it. Man I hate jaggies!

8. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    GlaDos won best villian of all time in IGN's Top 100 villians.
    I guess there is a god.

9. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    neat, downloading.

10. notyou

notyou Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    Even with this being free, it seemed not worth it. Short game with very little to no fun factor.

I don't see why it's getting great reviews on here.

11. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    i have to agree, after playing through this, i don't get the hype behind it (and thankfully i lowered my expectations rather than thinking it'd be the holy grail). It's certainly nice, but nothing spectacular.

Between this and Penumbra: Requiem, I'd go for Requiem because that has puzzle solving and horror that is nicely weaved into it.

12. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    i think most people, well at least me love the game due to it's black humor. the other stuff came second for me.

Companion Cube :D

13. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    aah yes, the dark humor. while nicely done, i guess it just wasn't my thing.

14. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Personally I love dark humor, but Portal's humor did absolutely nothing for me either. It was mostly grating on my nerves most of the time.

15. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Thanks for the heads up about this, after reading this the other day I went up to the uni on wifi and thrashed the 5 gig download of portal in about half an hour, ( saving my precious bandwidth and netting a free game :D )

@ShadowMyth

Agreed, source engine for life!.

I hope the Rage engine ( not the 'Rage Engine' rather the engine they are using for the game rage ( they are two different things ) is as good as source, screw DX11, I want my games to look good and run amazing as opposed to looking great and running abysmally.

Last edited: May 17, 2010

16. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I'd say most engines can run like Source if you turn the graphics down to the same level of detail Source uses. Everyone seems to get a hard on when they get high frame rates in Source games without taking into account that maxed settings are equal to medium or lower settings in more advanced engines.

Rage is using id's Tech 5 engine, though id has stated that Rage will not be taking full graphical advantage of the engine in order to provide higher frame rates.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  17. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Optimisation is a major factor though, simply turning the settings down is not a fair comparison, for example, crysis on low looks much much much much worse than left for dead, yet it is so unoptimised it dips randomly for not reason, even when there are no characters on screen, whereas l4d with 100 characters on screen will still stay a silky smooth 60 frames.

Source engine is one of the best optimised engines around. UE3 is amazing too, UT3 is an amazingly optimised game and the best looking UE3 game, other developers have made poor use of it, so even using the same engine developers can make poorer looking games that also perform half as well, case in point: Mass Effect vs. UT3.

18. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Of course optimization is a major factor, but most popular modern engines in use are plenty acceptable. You really can't compare Crysis to any Source game on any settings (never seen Source render a convincing forest or landscape), and considering I can run Crysis on Very High without random frame rate glitches, would leave me shocked if I had issues on low. Meanwhile, I was experiencing massive stuttering in later sections of Portal recently...

Source engine has balls for lighting, balls for texture mapping etc, and gets nothing but compliments. Meanwhile you have the same community of people bitching about how Crysis 2 doesn't look good enough, oh the glory of forums.