Tried to give away my 9800 PRO but failed!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by askipper, Nov 1, 2004.

1. askipper

askipper Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X1800 XT 512mb
    Yep, it's true. When I got my lovely new X800XT I thought, "I know, my mate has a PC that has an integrated graphics chip and is always complaining about how he can't play Tiger Woods GOlf or whatever - I'll give him my old ATI 9800 PRO!"

So, today I downloaded the latest drivers from ATI, got Directx 9.0c, picked up the 9800 pro card and cables etc, dumped the kids and wife in the car and off we went.

So, before going to the pub I said, "right then, let's open her up and get this thing installed". He couldn't wait after seeing Doom 3, Rome Total War, Far Cry etc. etc. on my PC (with the 9800 PRO that is) a few weeks before.

So, I told him in my best "I know about **** like this" voice, all about earthing yourself as we opened up the case.

To my horror - no AGP slots.

"EH?"

This PC is from PC WOrld not 1 year old and no f***** AGP slots - just a load of PCI slots - and I'm sure they're not PCI Express slots either!

It's an emachines 210 that he's got and as he bought it from PC World not 12 months ago you'd think it would have an AGP slot or two - but no.

So, sadly my 9800 PRO now goes to ebay (so don't bother asking for it!).

Any ideas what he can actually put in this PC to play some games?

Cheers

2. Phillip04

Phillip04 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7800GT
    9200 i think is the best he can get. Or an fx 5200.

3. football

football Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Golden Sample 256mb5900XT(5950U)530@1035
    Sell for a PCI card.

I'm looking for TW04 btw, let me know?

4. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
    You should've given it to your mate anyway and he could've gone out and bought a new motherboard!?

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI

Yeah, what he said would've been the best thing to do, give it or sell it to him anyways, and help him find a new motherboard with an AGP slot......I've done given or sold my friends my old spare parts if they needed something.

6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I agree, I wouldve personally have invested in getting a new motherboard and just kept the card...

Even if you would try to get the best PCI card, the performance wouldnt be as good even when playing games such as FarCry, Doom 3 etc....

You can look at a previous thread link: [here] for more info on getting an alternative PCI card, but like i said, they're not really that great for graphic intensive games...

7. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    A cheap and cheerful motherboard with an AGP slot costs a pitance these days.

8. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    motherboard!!! best idea

9. askipper

askipper Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X1800 XT 512mb
    A new motherboard seems to be the general opinion then though it's the most work (for me probably). Since I've never changed a mobo I'l have to talk to the local friendly PC shop to see what they'd charge to do that

Thanks guys

10. David Deed

David Deed Don Alfa Terga Inconiti

GPU:
    Geforce 6600
    a 5700LE is avaliable for PCI, its not 128-bit though. you should get anything thats 128-bit i.e. 9100 pci

11. askipper

askipper Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X1800 XT 512mb
    SO say a 5200FX 128bit is a better option than a 9700 64 bit?

Cheers

12. David Deed

David Deed Don Alfa Terga Inconiti

GPU:
    Geforce 6600
    there is no 9700 64 bit version

13. askipper

askipper Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X1800 XT 512mb
    so, is a 9100 better than a 5200fx? I like ati but am not fussed for my mate!!!:D

14. Demiurg

Demiurg Master Guru

GPU:
    Hightech Excalibur 9700
    As David said, the 9100pci is the best pci-card out there
    but they´re very rare. I can say that a 9200pci is somewhat useful though, managed to play ut2004 at 1024*764@lowsettings with
    , well , reasonable speed.
    But really, get a new mobo.

15. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    The fx 5200 and the radeon 9200 are out in PCI versions and I think the radeon 9200 would probably be the better choice of the two. Either one would put a smile on his face if he's been using on-board GPU. I had a ati made 9200 128mb for a while and for the price, its really not a bad card.