Steve Jobs killed himself.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Mkilbride, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Lacusmons

Lacusmons Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Let the man rest in peace, people.

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Not quite sure you're understanding the whole concept of you make more of life when you know when you're going to die concept.

3. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Well, at least now he's cool in a more physical way.

//Svein

4. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Well you didn't explain it properly, the wording seemed off. Still, even then...he himself says he regrets not getting the treatment. So I guess even he didn't see it the way you are saying.

I just think it's kinda insulting to the 5% who don't have a chance. Here's a guy, who is part of the 95% who will survive it, decides against treatment that won't save that other 5%, then, near the end, uses his money & influence to move himself ahead on the organ transplant list(all rich people do this, but still), try to use modern medicine near the end, then says he regrets it.

I dunno, but it kinda feels insulting that he could have been saved, but spat in the faces of those who couldn't, until the end. He should have at least never admitted he regretted it, either. That's another slap in the face to not only the 5%, but to the alternative medicine crowd.

The problem with this is, everyone built him up to be some type of super-genius, who was on top of everything, and was furthering the entire world and ushering us into a new age of tech...then he chooses to for-go medical science, try something all-natural, and does something that his family & friends, and most of the world thinks is the wrong move.

I'm not saying your family & friends are always right, but if everyone is telling you something like this...family, friends, and the majority of the modern world says you should, and you don't, and people consider you a modernist, it kinda makes his image waver.

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Well yeah, I agree there wasn't any way for him to win here. Still, he had alot to live for, even if I didn't like the guy, or his products, I still think it's a tragedy he decided to go this route. To die the way he did. It's suicide if you look at it from the right perspective.

7. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    Who are we to question a mans decision? We do not know anything about the 'real' situation.

It is still a shame he is dead though.

8. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
  9. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    [​IMG]

"Think different" ..

.. about what solution is the best to cure your illness.

10. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Most of the decisions he made that turned out well and which he was lauded for, only affected him indirectly as they were business decisions. This one was direct, personal, and truly questionable because he died a lot sooner after making it. A doctor can from this point say:'That's what Steve Jobs thought too'. Which could save lives. Just because a cancer is treatable, that doesn't mean the cancer isn't still cancer, i.e. unpredictable and life threatening.

11. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    And let this be a lesson to us all about the dangers of "alternative therapies"- They may be a nice placebo compliment to medicine and help people through that but they are NOT a substitute to scientificly backed and proven medications and operations. Ignoring mainstream medical treatment is gambling with your health- and the odds are heavily stacked against you.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Everyone is saying how if Steve Jobs went with traditional medicine how he would have lived or survived, or wouldn't have died. That's what I'm seeing in this thread.

Here's a thought though, does anyone actually know the survival rate for pancreatic cancer?
    http://cancer.emedtv.com/pancreatic-cancer/pancreatic-cancer-survival-rates-p2.html
    16.4% of people have lived 5 years when the cancer is still local.

So even if he did go traditional medicine, this wouldn't change a whole lot.

13. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Best one I've seen yet, haha!

14. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    i think the first article pointed out that if the cancer was removed asap you had an 80% chance.

15. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    They said he had a 88% chance for the cancer, and 95% chance for the tumor. His chances were very high.

16. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Sad to hear he made a bad decision.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Nvm.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Not really. Suicide is done with the intent to kill yourself. Though attempts are made just to get attention....like the title of this thread. :3eyes:

19. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    If you want to be pedantic, the thread title is actually correct.
    Suicide is killing oneself with an intent.

If one happens to have a gun and blow one's own head while playing with it because one decided to turn the safety on despite everyone else's warnings, one can be called 'killed himself' too, but definitely not 'suicide'.
    By going against almost everyone's suggestions, SJ basically 'killed himself'.
    Though in his case it's probably just simply 'hastened his own death', but it's something we'd never know now.

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Why yes, it is. Which is why I disagreed with his characterization. It's a mystery whether you're trying to state some disagreement with what I posted or being 'pendantic'. Ha ha.