Steve Jobs killed himself.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Mkilbride, Oct 22, 2011.

  1. Lacusmons

    Lacusmons Master Guru

    Messages:
    391
    Likes Received:
    1
    GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Let the man rest in peace, people.
     
  2. Finchwizard

    Finchwizard Don Apple

    Messages:
    16,438
    Likes Received:
    7
    GPU:
    -
    Not quite sure you're understanding the whole concept of you make more of life when you know when you're going to die concept.
     
  3. Svein_Skogen

    Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

    Messages:
    1,230
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Well, at least now he's cool in a more physical way.

    //Svein
     
  4. Mkilbride

    Mkilbride Banned

    Messages:
    8,058
    Likes Received:
    2
    GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Well you didn't explain it properly, the wording seemed off. Still, even then...he himself says he regrets not getting the treatment. So I guess even he didn't see it the way you are saying.

    I just think it's kinda insulting to the 5% who don't have a chance. Here's a guy, who is part of the 95% who will survive it, decides against treatment that won't save that other 5%, then, near the end, uses his money & influence to move himself ahead on the organ transplant list(all rich people do this, but still), try to use modern medicine near the end, then says he regrets it.

    I dunno, but it kinda feels insulting that he could have been saved, but spat in the faces of those who couldn't, until the end. He should have at least never admitted he regretted it, either. That's another slap in the face to not only the 5%, but to the alternative medicine crowd.

    The problem with this is, everyone built him up to be some type of super-genius, who was on top of everything, and was furthering the entire world and ushering us into a new age of tech...then he chooses to for-go medical science, try something all-natural, and does something that his family & friends, and most of the world thinks is the wrong move.

    I'm not saying your family & friends are always right, but if everyone is telling you something like this...family, friends, and the majority of the modern world says you should, and you don't, and people consider you a modernist, it kinda makes his image waver.
     

  5. Finchwizard

    Finchwizard Don Apple

    Messages:
    16,438
    Likes Received:
    7
    GPU:
    -
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
     
  6. Mkilbride

    Mkilbride Banned

    Messages:
    8,058
    Likes Received:
    2
    GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Well yeah, I agree there wasn't any way for him to win here. Still, he had alot to live for, even if I didn't like the guy, or his products, I still think it's a tragedy he decided to go this route. To die the way he did. It's suicide if you look at it from the right perspective.
     
  7. putty

    putty Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    1,656
    Likes Received:
    2
    GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    Who are we to question a mans decision? We do not know anything about the 'real' situation.

    It is still a shame he is dead though.
     
  8. Brasky

    Brasky Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    2,243
    Likes Received:
    194
    GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
  9. nexu

    nexu Maha Guru

    Messages:
    1,182
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    [​IMG]

    "Think different" ..

    .. about what solution is the best to cure your illness.
     
  10. Texter

    Texter Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    3,143
    Likes Received:
    233
    GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Most of the decisions he made that turned out well and which he was lauded for, only affected him indirectly as they were business decisions. This one was direct, personal, and truly questionable because he died a lot sooner after making it. A doctor can from this point say:'That's what Steve Jobs thought too'. Which could save lives. Just because a cancer is treatable, that doesn't mean the cancer isn't still cancer, i.e. unpredictable and life threatening.
     

  11. Rifle_Grunt

    Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    2,446
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    And let this be a lesson to us all about the dangers of "alternative therapies"- They may be a nice placebo compliment to medicine and help people through that but they are NOT a substitute to scientificly backed and proven medications and operations. Ignoring mainstream medical treatment is gambling with your health- and the odds are heavily stacked against you.
     
  12. vbetts

    vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

    Messages:
    15,036
    Likes Received:
    1,598
    GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Everyone is saying how if Steve Jobs went with traditional medicine how he would have lived or survived, or wouldn't have died. That's what I'm seeing in this thread.

    Here's a thought though, does anyone actually know the survival rate for pancreatic cancer?
    http://cancer.emedtv.com/pancreatic-cancer/pancreatic-cancer-survival-rates-p2.html
    16.4% of people have lived 5 years when the cancer is still local.

    So even if he did go traditional medicine, this wouldn't change a whole lot.
     
  13. scoter man1

    scoter man1 Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    4,773
    Likes Received:
    83
    GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Best one I've seen yet, haha!
     
  14. Brasky

    Brasky Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    2,243
    Likes Received:
    194
    GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    i think the first article pointed out that if the cancer was removed asap you had an 80% chance.
     
  15. Mkilbride

    Mkilbride Banned

    Messages:
    8,058
    Likes Received:
    2
    GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    They said he had a 88% chance for the cancer, and 95% chance for the tumor. His chances were very high.
     

  16. Dustpuppy

    Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    4,146
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Sad to hear he made a bad decision.
     
  17. vbetts

    vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

    Messages:
    15,036
    Likes Received:
    1,598
    GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Nvm.
     
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  18. HeavyHemi

    HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    6,963
    Likes Received:
    963
    GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Not really. Suicide is done with the intent to kill yourself. Though attempts are made just to get attention....like the title of this thread. :3eyes:
     
  19. k1net1cs

    k1net1cs Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    3,783
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    If you want to be pedantic, the thread title is actually correct.
    Suicide is killing oneself with an intent.

    If one happens to have a gun and blow one's own head while playing with it because one decided to turn the safety on despite everyone else's warnings, one can be called 'killed himself' too, but definitely not 'suicide'.
    By going against almost everyone's suggestions, SJ basically 'killed himself'.
    Though in his case it's probably just simply 'hastened his own death', but it's something we'd never know now.
     
  20. HeavyHemi

    HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

    Messages:
    6,963
    Likes Received:
    963
    GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Why yes, it is. Which is why I disagreed with his characterization. It's a mystery whether you're trying to state some disagreement with what I posted or being 'pendantic'. Ha ha.
     

Share This Page