Star Citizen developers allegedly wasting money

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Fortunately there are more examples of Kickstarter projects that worked out right, the same way there are plenty that flopped really hard but that doesn´t change the fact that those projects are managed in a very "obscure" way because there´s no one to control them. In this particular case, i think the problem is that Star Citizen gathered much more money that Roberts was expecting and because of that he tried to increase the scope of the game to match the money he gathered and apparently things have spiralled out of control because of everything is trying to add to the game.
    As for the house, i agree with Denial, he probably already had money for it because star developers like him make silly amounts of money nowadays but i could be wrong of course.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    public conjecture about being out of control based on no knowledge of insider workings is laughable.

they have been honest about the roadmaps and only slipped off course once because of instance containers being a bit more of a problem to introduce than first thought.

3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Can't say I am shocked really. Is it any different to what would be going on in other gaming studios?. Probably not but the main difference is that when mis-management means that another company ends up pissing money away it is THE COMPANIES money they are pissing away. A crowd funded company should be doing everything it can to focus the money in to producing the game while doing everything it can do to minimize shrinkage and lose.

Legacy-ZA likes this.
  4. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    I would be happy with a Freelancer re-make and a sequel, the story has great potential.

5. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    Im still amazed to meet people who ACTUALLY thing this game will ever be finished

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Here's the issue: The original 'goal' was said to cost $6m and take 3 years (someone will correct if I am wrong - and I humbly stand to be corrected if I did make a mistake in that figure).

So - he didn't need $6m, he needed $1m...please tell me that you 'get' this sticking point...

You cannot play the part of "the everyday man", trying to make his way through the quagmire of video games publishers who 'don't understand gamers' and yet, you have/had no intention(s) all along of actually sacrificing anything whatsoever, but see this $ as 'yours' to spend how you want.

I honest-to-god remember a child at school who wanted everyone else to give them 1 sweetie each, because they claimed they did not have any of their own. When it was revealed they did have their own sweets, and all the kids asked for their 1 sweet back, the mini-Napoleon said "NO!...These sweets are mine!...I was given these sweets...you cannot have any of these sweets".

They basically changed the classification of the sweets, and claimed complete and total ownership of the sweets...a little bit like this article, where people couldn't get their money back and/or were told "well it's your money and you can spend it anyway you want to...(it's your fault)"

This is not acceptable behaviour of a child, let alone an adult.

carnivore and AsiJu like this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the game will be finished, the decriers are narcissistic whine bags who have never worked in or been privy to the inner workings of a game studio.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Actually, that is not true.

CR was sacked after he basically burnt through the investors money, and they had enough of paying him a 'consultancy' fee. When they took over the production of the game, they realised how utterly and poorly managed the escapade had become.

What was finally released was about as good as they could have gotten out of what was on the cutting room floor after this 'master craftsmen' had gone through all the marble. Although the game wasn't greatly received - the actual final product was and is considered to be a miracle of can-do attitude and hard push push pushing by the team.

CR blamed everyone, and what you are saying above is simply you regurgitating what CR has been saying for years, and has (sort of) become 'the lie he chooses to believe'.

He genuinely believes he is right and genuinely believeth his doing had nothing to do with the undoing of that situation in the 1990's / early 2000's.

Dogmatic belief is very powerful, if not one of the most powerful forms of belief. Sure-footed and resolute belief in oneself is hard to ignore, but it does not hold any court in the land of logic and reason.

fry178 likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Publishers are well known for misrepresenting the facts around development processes, more was going on then has been spoken of in public.

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Sempaii
    clearly your name doesnt match the "knowledge" or wisdom i expect from that word.

Of course, its just Forbes making up stuff. The FTC always looks into things just for fun.

please tell me more than 10 games that took that long to complete.
    right.

11. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Freelancer was one of my favorite games of all time. That's why i wanted No Mans Sky to be that game that was a Freelancer clone but better. We all now know how that turned out.

It's the same with this pile of useless code. They intentionally aimed way too high for what hardware could handle and they charged a fortune for the privilege.

I love the idea but he's bitten off more than he could chew and has choked on his own dreams. They should of just aimed lower and added onto it.

0blivious and Loobyluggs like this.
  12. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    After putting hundreds of dollars into the game... I just do not care to play it anymore. Lost my interest after taking so long to produce something other than ships to buy. Every few months redownload game hoping for some great content and playability but all I get is lag or crashes or have to spend days trying to configure all the controls. to fly you must use every single key on your keyboard while using your joystick, if we had 3 hands it would make this game easier to control...

Loobyluggs likes this.
  13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    still doesnt explain why the company has not even enough funds to pay ppl.

and even if the size of the project is larger than almost everything else, doesnt explain why there isnt anything on the shelfs of normaler retailers i can now buy and play,
    and if "you" are unable to come to the conclusion to start with a core game and then expand/add-on in the games initial planning,
    means he doesnt know what hes doing, or does it on purpose.

were not talking about taking a group of ppl to a distant planet (and back), and so far there is no proof we will see a final (working) version as promised,
    and this being delayed for almost a decade doesnt happen because you made one mistake...

Loobyluggs likes this.
  14. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Wow judging by the reddit thread, SC apologists are in a category all of their own.

But I guess when you spend a few Gs on an internet spaceship game you will do mental gymnastics to convince yourself it was a wise choice.

fry178, 0blivious, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Again, it sounds like you are just believing in what his has been telling people - that people do not 'get him' and, because he is 'just like you', that it has (almost) become a lie that someone else believes in so strongly, that others end up believing it as well.

Pluralistical ignorance, thankfully; is not a sin - just a mistake.

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    $27,000 to Unlock Almost Every Ship! Loooool!

fry178 likes this.
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Trust me, when a "creative director" of a project starts buying 5M houses before the project is finished, the project is out of control (and logic and reason).

But ofc I'm just one of them narcissistic whine bags, as you put it.

0blivious and airbud7 like this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

ah look at you trying with the big words to look educated on the matter at hand

you aren't.

Forbes is just another grub getting advertising money, nothing worth reading here.

This is the anual (s)hitpiece from gaming media to get those easy advertising dollars.

The people who aren't interested or affected by the long development time that pop in to put in their 2c are just making it about themselves - hence the comment on narcissism.

Things are going fine.

The German, British and American governments aren't at all worried about CIG/RSI's financials so anyone else capitalizing on the subject is doing so from a position of ignorance and/or to sow discord.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.