SSD NVMe - Slow write Speeds in my new Laptop

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by JayDelta, Sep 4, 2018.

1. JayDelta

JayDelta Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti
    Hello guys
    I just bought a Lenovo Legion Y520 and it has a SSD NVMe (Hynx FC401).

I did the Windows Instalation fine, drivers update etc... then I notice some slowspeed and then I did the speedtest :S

Damn whats wrong? TRIM is active so... all is updated too :S

I got like the 1rst time 2600MB/s and 800MB/s speed but after 5 min I got 600MB/s and 18MB/s.... and it stays this way!

https://imgur.com/RIjZjwa

2. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    No idea. Did you leave room for overprovisioning?

3. JayDelta

JayDelta Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti
    What u mean by that? Explain plz. Thanks!

4. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Leave unused room 7 -10% to let room for the SSD controller to do maintenance and improve performance by giving the flash controller additional buffer space for managing program/erase (P/E) cycles.

5. JayDelta

JayDelta Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti
    Bro, the SSD has 200GB of 235GB FREE...... im not even using space for anything besides the drivers

6. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    That means unformatted space.

7. JayDelta

JayDelta Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti
    U are not understanding what I mean, My SDD has alote space free... its no unformatted... I formated to install the OS...

8. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    For overprovisioning you should leave 7 - 10% free unformatted space - raw.

9. JayDelta

JayDelta Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti
    Already did it, 12% of RAW space... as u said... No results :S

10. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    You got Rekt. It haapens mate this fake news rx570 trash i got grey screen more then it display 60 fps @ 1080. It even got vr label like it can run that ffs @ 15 fps.

Unforntunatly, oem manufacturing is trash and they been selling 2006 tech for over a decade. Laptops suffer the worst with our amazing pc industry artificially slowing the worlds compute power. That why mobile market blew up. I guess their boards like shitty stock prices, so they can sell patents for low and piss of consumers?! Lol. False advertising, 2% improvement and p2w loot box has the future on lock thanks to whales wallets. Didnt goverment bann huntin whale? oh whale. Git gud.

Your laptop will only perform as good as the vendor lets it. They typically lock all the bios down and give u shiity controllers, north n south bridge with no perks. There is only one way i found to get slightly better performance.

In windows 10 power management you have to add ahci power options for ssd. This let my ssd write at about 50mbs on load slower then hhd. But still if you got stuck with a, for example, 15w powersupply & bios instead of the 20-30w versions. i doubt it will make much difference. An once the bios starts power throttle or the nvme card you will have no ctrl. Also idk if the ahci power options affect the m.2 nvme pcie slots power like it does for the older sata. Never believe marketing. Also welcome to guru3d. Also if you up for it try hooking up a old gpu or small cpu fan to test drive over heating.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018

11. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
  12. JayDelta

JayDelta Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti
    Maybe if I buy a new NVMe? I can buy a Samsung 960 EVO... if so, it would solve my problem no?

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Most likely.

Make sure all drivers are updated.

Also you will get lower benchmark scores when not using high performance mode and when using intel spectre patch.

14. JayDelta

JayDelta Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti
    I was thinking to buy a Samsung 970 Evo (256GB), is it compatible with the Lenovo Y520?! I tryed to see some benchmarks so I could make some "sense" of it... but ye not exactly my "area" of knowledge....

In this laptop everything is updated... I even feel the side of the SSD "hot"... maybe the SSD is to much Hot.

It did manage once to reach 2700/ 800MB/s so Im guessing its a SSD problem related and not Laptop itself.
    Im kinda loving the "overall" perfomance of the laptop for the price... 3DMark 11 makes 10690 Score with the GTX 1050Ti. Not much but for the price...

Hum... what U think, should I go for a Samsung Evo 970? :O Thanks for ur reply!

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    It's normal for performance to reduce after heavy benchmarking or big transfer of files for TLC SSDs like the hynix.

After some time, performance will restore back to the original speed after trim is ran on the SSD.
    You can force this to run with windows defrag > optimize.

2700 800 is pretty normal so unless you are having specific issues with applications I'd ignore it and just use your computer.

16. JayDelta

JayDelta Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti
    Bro, u are not getting it. I get 800/20 mb/s always, that was a exeption after I booted in... never got it again... most I got was 30 mb/s on read... at best!

Even copy things I get 13-29mb/s speed, multitask (things open) pc slows down|

pimpineasy likes this.
  17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I see that, but have you ran trim(windows defrag optimize) first, let PC sit for 5 mins and then try benchmark again?

If still low, you may try max performance mode, update bios, and make sure no other programs are running at startup that may interfere(i.e. anti virus)

Also run SDI driver installer and it will make sure all devices are latest drivers.

You may also want to check if there is a firmware update for the SSD.

JayDelta likes this.
  18. JayDelta

JayDelta Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti
    Ok.
    I did that all already. Reinstalled even the windows 3 times (diferente version). Bios update hum I won´t do it because Im afraid to "damage" the laptop since I don´t know how to update bios
    https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...ks/legion-series/legion-y520-15ikbn/downloads

I did downloaded all lasted software... Even updated all in the windows... :S

Bench are always low, start, at the end, after 10 or 40 min with use or IDLE... I have my system "light" so even startup is "light" with minimal startup programs. No antivirus (never use one)

In other words, Im desesperated and sad.... and even affraid to buy a new NVMe (the Samsung 970 Evo)
    The store told me that the temps are normal (77ºC its what I get at max)... maybe the SSD is a bad chip... >< do not know bro :S :(:(:(:(:(:(

BTW u can´t find any firmeware for the SSD. There is no one.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    BIOS update is safe, there is a very slim chance you could ever damage it(it's recoverable if it fails).

77c is very warm for the SSD, that's where they would have heavy throttling.

970 evo would be cooler and much faster.

JayDelta likes this.
  20. JayDelta

JayDelta Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti
    Then I have to "buy" it.... because Its sad to have this conditions on a good laptop, overall (besides the SSD) the laptop perfomances good in games!
    So, I belive that the 970 EVO would be a good and safe investment?

Im only affraid that the problem is on the laptop/motherboard side... but thats maybe very slim chance right?