[Solved]What is wrong with NV drivers? DPC Latency

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by X7007, Jan 11, 2020.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No need to kill processes. Just execute "powercfg /energy" in command line - it will create a report file, and there you will see like this:
    Code:
    Warnings
    Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
    The default platform timer resolution is 15.6 ms (15625000 ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
    Current Timer Resolution (100 ns units) 10000
    Maximum Timer Period (100 ns units) 156250

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
    A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
    Requested Period 10000
    Requesting Process ID 5800
    Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume8\Program Files (x86)\Opera\66.0.3515.72\opera.exe

-Tj- likes this.
  2. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    if you have issues with timer, I also for some reason have issues on both computers, not very much but it happens. 0.4-0.7 behind or faster

The problem
    https://blog.codinghorror.com/keeping-time-on-the-pc/

I installed the software it seems it works.

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

Follow the guide__ IMPORTANT

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/readme-ntpinstaller.htm

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  3. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Hmm. It's a bit strange on my system:
    [​IMG]

4. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

What CPU do you have? Do you have HPET enabled in bios?
    Do you have any Bcdedit commands?

If you have old CPU without TSC I think 4xxx and maybe 5xxx then you need to use bcdedit/set useplatformtick yes

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    If you want an integrer value on the timer, you need to enable HPET in BIOS (its enabled as default anyway and Windows doesn't use it by default, so turning it off can cause issues), then open CMD as admin and introduce these commands:

DISABLE HPET
    cmd - admin
    bcdedit /set useplatformclock no
    restart

DISABLE SYNTHETIC TIMERS
    cmd - admin
    bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes
    restart

Very important to keep HPET enabled on the BIOS.

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Sorry, but this is superstitious belief in magic numbers. It doesn't matter in the slightest if this number is a bit odd or not.
    No need to keep HPET enabled in the bios if there's a switch for it. It can at max only cause issues, as far as evidence tells.

7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Not sure if trolling or... What "evidence"?

Disabling HPET in BIOS is extremely stupid. People kept doing this causing odd issues on their system without even knowing why they would do it, this is why newer motherboards have it enabled by default without being able to disable it. Windows does not use it per sé anyway, it uses TSC and only enables HPET when needed. But it seems you know better.

I also find extremely ironic how you say its "superstitious" and a "belief" what some say in here, but when you mention disabling HPET in the BIOS, it isn't, because there's "evidence".

It doesn't cause any issues at all. It will cause issues if disabled, if you use the commands I mentioned above and you have HPET disabled in BIOS, good luck at getting a constant, correct Timer Resolution when you are at Windows.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you tried to force platform ticks with BCD (useplatformtick yes)?

9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Where is it?

Oh no, I can't have a magic number. Looks like I am screwed then.
    My CPU performance is fine everywhere, not having any vsync or sound crackling issues. But hey, what do I know...

Btw: You can compile the Linux kernel with a config to completely rely on dynamic ticks, not just idle. So it does not work just without magic numbers, but without any fixed numbers at all, and CPU performance for consumers is totally unaffected!!1 :eek: :eek:
    Hope this shocking news doesn't give you a heart attack...

I think the main issue here is that you are still messing up tick rate and clock source in some way.

10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Disabling HPET on the BIOS is not a good idea. Believe what you want to believe. I actually love your logic: Since HPET is a switch in BIOS, it should be disabled. LOL! Show me your timer using any of the tools available on the internet so I can look at the mess you have and I can laugh. Please. Then I can proceed to finally block you.

Why do you mention Linux? Is literally non-existent for me, I use my computer for gaming thus I use the lesser evil, Windows.

I was expecting this sort of troll reply from you, after all seeing that almost no ones likes your post having more time in here than I do says it all. Nice emojis. How old are you? 11?

When did I mention this affects CPU in any way, shape or form? Or sound? It doesn't affect any of these things. HPEPT FORCED ON on Windows could cause these issues. But you don't force it on Windows, you leave it as default. As default, Windows doesn't use it. READ. Do you even read what I say or are just rambling? It affects game timings and frametime if disabled on BIOS. It even affects TSC timer.

"I think the main issue here is that you are still messing up tick rate and clock source in some way."

Yup, you caught me. A clean Windows install and just changing the 2 cmd parameters I mentioned, but in "some way" I am messing up things. Nice.

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If you want an example of a useful program that needs hpet on in bios, BenchMate uses it to verify benchmarking. If professional overclockers leave it on, maybe us normies shouldn't mind
    ;)

12. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Bruh. You are supposed to tell me why I am wrong. You said there's "evidence" for the better if you disable HPET on the BIOS. Please show this evidence. And you ASK ME where is it? I can't even. At this point I am gonna assume you are just trolling 100%.

Here. Learn a bit before behaving like a smartass. At least back up your claims. Coming to a forum and posting "Sorry, but this is superstitious belief in magic numbers. It doesn't matter in the slightest if this number is a bit odd or not. No need to keep HPET enabled in the bios if there's a switch for it. It can at max only cause issues, as far as evidence tells." but then you don't explain these things:

1) Why what I have posted or others its "is superstitious belief in magic numbers."
    2) Why HPET should be disabled on the BIOS. Yes, some mobos have a switch for it. Why it should be disabled if it has a switch? Which internet articles claim "disable it because it is a switch"? And if they say so, they have to explain why. I want to read them.
    3) What's the evidence that no HPET on BIOS makes things better? I really want to know. What does it improve? What "evidence" benchmarks do you have?

What do you do instead? Behave like someone who's literally braindead, you decide to give me a troll worthy response and you didn't back up a single one of your claims. Then you started to ramble with irrelevant stuff. How wonderful.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Is it normal that I get good results at desktop doing nothing but if I leave Latencymon running while playing a game (Rage 2 in this instance), Latencymon has recorded quite massive spikes?

Rage 2 does have a bit of asset streaming stutter, can this show as spikes in latency?

I don't know, everything about latency and timers is frustrating...

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ok I typed in that command and nothing really unusual, actually quite handy command to see everything, thanks @mbk1969

15. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    My UEFI Setup has no option to disable HPET (so it's always enabled).
    It's an i5-8600K
    Only disabledynticks yes

It's not about integers, it's about a requested 0.5 and a result of 15 (according to powercfg) while ISLC reports a successful 0.5 forced setting.

Not yet.

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I already told you that: Because it can never achieve anything good. If it is ever used for whatever dumb reason (e.g. you recommending people bcdedit tweaks you don't understand) It can only achieve harm, especially on newer systems like Coffe Lake. This is why it is completely blacklisted on Linux there (no differences between OSes in that regard, btw.).

You are twisting my words. I never said it would actually achieve a substantial improvement when turning it off in bios. I only said it's an outdated sh*tfeature that nobody needs, so why bother keeping it around? If you could add native 16 bit program support to modern Windows to run DOS programs, would you do that too, just because of having it for no apparent reason? Sounds ultra dumb. I suppose your that type of guy who forces "optimization" to PCs of your relatives to a extent where nothing works anymore and then trying to impress them with your "knowledge".

Have a nice day too (could this guy get banned plz?).

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Folks advocating those with differing opinions should be banned, perhaps need a timeout to rethink their state of mind. And "What our testing identified is that the source of the issue is actually down to timers. Windows uses timers for many things, such as synchronization or ensuring linearity, and there are sets of software relating to monitoring and overclocking that require the timer with the most granularity - specifically they often require the High Precision Event Timer (HPET). HPET is very important, especially when it comes to determining if 'one second' of PC time is the equivalent to 'one second' of real-world time - the way that Windows 8 and Windows 10 implements their timing strategy, compared to Windows 7, means that in rare circumstances the system time can be liable to clock shift over time. This is often highly dependent on how the motherboard manufacturer implements certain settings. HPET is a motherboard-level timer that, as the name implies, offers a very high level of timer precision beyond what other PC timers can provide, and can mitigate this issue. This timer has been shipping in PCs for over a decade, and under normal circumstances it should not be anything but a boon to Windows.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12678/a-timely-discovery-examining-amd-2nd-gen-ryzen-results

Smough and -Tj- like this.
  18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    The ban idea was mostly due to the insults, which could hardly be any more blunt. And you forgot to quote (really bad quoting btw.) the part where HPET wrecked performance, while the part where HPET would be important for some cases is totally unbacked in that article.

Really, guys. Come up with a concrete example (a real consumer application for instance....) what stops working when turning off HPET in bios. Until now that has only been anecdotal stories and some feel-good buzzword bingo, also called hot air...

19. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    The tweaks I mentioned have helped a lot of people. Its not something I decided to made up, you can actually Google them and see for yourself. HPET simply should not be touched, it works as intented as it comes out of the box, period. No game gets performance loss nor it gains anything. Windows uses TSC and it switches to HPET only if it needs to do. It literally causes no harm because its always sleeping, so forcing it off makes no sense.

You have no evidences, sources, anything that suggest "disable HPET to get this or that benefit". Its only because you believe it and according to your theories. The same when you called the videos when I replied to you a "decoy" and they didn't prove anything. Considering you consider "evidence" a personal belief, I won't take anything else you say seriously. And I don't care you trying to "school" me with Linux. If I wanted to learn proper stuff, I'd actually pay a course or talk to capable users being able to help me.

Right here you prove who you are. You come to a forum where users come to have meaningful tech conversations and you prove that you are a kid, a troll and a smartass. I've learned a lot from these forums from very valuable users, I do tweak my Windows and test everything properly, disabling HPET from BIOS never gave me a major "boost" or change. And your mobo actually needs it on to set some timers correctly. And I can factually make any computer faster following a set of optimizations that I've learned, BIOS included. I don't try to "impress" anyone, I am here to learn. Unlike you. You are arrogant and not humble, when I replied to the other post where I linked a number of videos, you managed to say they didn't "prove" anything, also indirectly saying RTSS is useless. This is who you are.

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's on by default, the burden of evidence is on you. You've also yet to prove turning it off in bios does anything. Pretty relevant to what you said, since the average consumer is unlikely to ever open their bios.