SoftR9700 FAQ

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Jan 15, 2003.

1. skar85

skar85 Guest

Have the answer it seems, that there are more than just one pixlepipelines not working, you'll have to get a new card!!

2. vargz

vargz Guest

can't get the patch to work in winME

at the risk of sharing my frustration in both of the sticky posts for the soft 9700:

using winME, 128 MB 9500 nonpro Red card, installed correctly with ATI drivers in stock mode, 3dmark01 runs all tests. Also overclocks well.

Rivatuner mods the Cat drivers (tried with 3.1 and 3.2) with no reported problems in the log file. But I can't get the driver installed, either through the "update driver" tab or using the ATI setup program. (I removed the ATI driver using Control Panel, and tried running the install in safe mode or normal mode with all other tasks killed). Also renamed the original vx_ file in the setup directory to hide it from the installer. Windows keeps interrupting the install with a notice of an invalid digital signature on the driver file.

Looks like most folks are using the winXP files, but maybe there is a common solution with these digital signature problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3. vargz

vargz Guest

partial follow-up to prior post

Found this on the micro$oft web site:

"Windows Me Policy. The default driver signing policy for Windows Me is to block the replacement of signed drivers by unsigned drivers for the Display/Video device classes and for Media device classes such as audio, DVD, and some imaging devices, including some video capture devices, joystick devices, and most broadcast TV components.

For these device classes, Windows Me displays a warning message if the user attempts to install an unsigned driver. An Advanced button in the warning message box displays a dialog box in which the user can change the settings for a device class that is set to Block. For other device classes, Windows Me ignores installation of unsigned drivers."

------------
    I don't recall seing the "advanced" tab on the digital signature warning page, but I'll try it again and see.

4. vargz

vargz Guest

and the other shoe is...

for the digital signature box that terminates my patched driver install: the "advanced" tab is there, but it is greyed out and I can't find the setting in winMe to override it.

5. RayT

RayT Guest

Hi Guys and Gals,

a quick link howto handle with WFP (Windows File Protection)

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/wfp/

greetings from germany :p

ps: well, got the same pixel misplacing here with a Radeon 9500 128 MB (connect3d) and Cats 3.2

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2003
  6. munkee

munkee Guest

ati 9500 128np's extra 4 pipelines

I don't suppose anyone knows if its possible to, activate 5 pipelines (then test to see if the card works) then 6 pipelines (then test to see if the card works) then 7 pipelines (then test to see if the card works)...? As my card sure doesn't work with the 8 pipelines - windows just doesn't post anything to screen upon initialising my card.. then it reboot after about 30 seconds.

Still Hoping

munkee

7. RayT

RayT Guest

nope, that's not possible ... somebody asked that, too..

8. vargz

vargz Guest

more winMe file protections stuff

Thanks for the link RayT, it got me to some interesting links. Here is something that seems interesting from micro$oft:

"The System.cat file is stored in the C:\Windows\System\Catroot directory. SFP (System File Protection) in Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) uses the System.cat file to compare versions and digitally signed information to a file that is attempting to replace an existing protected file. When the System.cat file is corrupt or missing, SFP records an invalid hash entry in the Sfplog.txt file and the original is replaced by the new version. "
    -------------
    That seems like a temporary solution to get a file overwritten, but it seems like putting the system.cat file back later might cause problems when the vid file did not match the catalog entry. I'm thinking it might at lease let me see if my 9500 works with the software mod. I could then restore everything and do the hardware mod and bios flash instead if I can't figure out a better way around the system file protection.

9. RayT

RayT Guest

best way might be :
    patch the file in /drivers Folder
    then patch the file in the hidden $home/windows/system32/dllcache Folder..

That works ;) (already tried it)

10. vargz

vargz Guest

file patching

Thanks Ray. I'll look for the hidden folder and give it a try. Much obliged.

11. vargz

vargz Guest

update

finally managed to install the patch for the cat 3.2s by replacing the patched file directly in the win/system directory when running in safe mode.
    fill rate confirms the patch was OK.
    interesting results: no artifacts ever show up, can run all tests in 3dmark01 by selecting them one or two at a time. the machine freezes when starting a new test early in the cycle if I try to run a full set for the benchmark (regardless of clock settings, color depth, AA, or backing off of the hardware slider).

any chance this is some leftover meddling from the ATI driver counter-measures? I don't understand what the hardware issue would be. I'm going to try an earlier version of the patched driver and see if there are any differences.

12. ifeelgood

ifeelgood Guest

Hey guys.
    Just to report. I installed patch just fine. No problems.
    Before : 3dMark Score 11356
    After : 14157
    My specs are in the profile and I only see checkerboards sometimes in nature. other than that. It works great. I love this mod. Best 150 I spent. I had it overnight shiped because I got so excited.

13. 3dWotcha

3dWotcha Guest

softmod works fine for me, 3dmark 2001 runs fine no serious artifacts except a few misplaced dots in one of the tests "the rotating horse".

Also fine in games too, except for the odd dodgy texture in Morrowind. The only serious annoyance is I get black dots speckling in avi/mpeg playback. Dunno if this is driver related or fault with my hardware (connect3d 9500np). But, it is hardly noticable, so I'm 90% happy.

If anyone knows anything about this black dot speckling, let me know !!!

14. jackee

jackee Guest

Great! :) My 9500(64M DDR) work as 9500pro. Thank u! But some problems, the characters are not clear as befor in games, sometimes the characters are laping over!

15. epi

epi Guest

To those who can't get soft9x00 working:

How I've failed to apply Soft9800

1) Tried to patch Windows/system32/drivers/ati2mtag.sys, didn't work

2) Tried to patch ati2mtag.sy_ before installing the driver, didn't work

3) Tried to patch ati2mtag.sy_ before installing the driver, then rename the ati2mtag.sys created by the patchscript to ati2mtag.sy_ didn't work.

How I've managed to apply Soft9800

Tried to patch ati2mtag.sy_ before installing the driver, then rename the ati2mtag.sys created by the patchscript to ati2mtag.sy_ and finally point that folder to windows manually for the driver update, said continue anyway to the windows message.

It shouldn't be so hard, should it ?

Windows file protection makes it a little harder I guess.

How do I know I've managed or failed ?

I check the driver path with Quake3, driver info under system settings.

Results & Problems

It did affect my sound settings. I've got a lot of echo now (Audigy Platinium) I've reinstalled the sound driver, problem unsolved.

Got better scores in D3D with both AA AF on

I've had a few D3D problems, visual artifacts with Cat3.2 before using Soft9x00, now they are gone. Interesting isn't it ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2003

16. #ReDux Pras

#ReDux Pras Member Guru

I just ordered a Sapphire Radeon 9500 NP (OEM) Red board. I'm praying to god this will work. I wanna thank you beforehand for putting in the time and effort to making this fabulous program man!

17. matulo

matulo Guest

Hi, I'm still a bit confused when reading this thread. Can someone make this completely clear ?

Which radeon can be softmodded to which radeon.

9500 128MB non pro --> ???
    9500 128 MB pro ---> ???

I want to know which one I should buy since there almost no price difference between those two.

Thank you a lot.
    Matt

18. lalla

lalla Guest

9500 128MB------>9700------>9700pro
    9500pro 128MB------->nowhere...

The 9500 has to have the 9700pcb...the L-form.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2003
  19. matulo

matulo Guest

Could you please post a link to a picture of the board so I could definitely pick the good one ?

Thanks

20. lalla

lalla Guest