Softmod doesn't stick?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by IceMole, Nov 2, 2004.

1. I got a Dell with the GTO card. Same thing hapened to me, it says 12x1 5vp but in the low level settings under customize it says 16x1 6vp. AHH this blows.

2. striker17

striker17 Member

GPU:
    6800 GTO, 9800 PRO
    I can't seem to get a BIOS edited up that I can flash. I took a stock 6800 Ultra nvidia BIOS, changed it to be a 6800 PCIe with nbitor, but couldn't get the board id to match bios to flash with nvflash.

Also trying to post in other forums to see if someone can tell me their working BIOS revs and if they can give me a dump.

I'll keep everyone posted as to progress if I make any.

--striker17

3. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    There's a fellow over at NVnews who claims to have a working GTO at 16x1 6vp. I've directed him to this thread (via PM), but no guarantees. If you want to contact him, the thread is at...
    h t t p : / / w w w . n v n e w s . n e t /vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39881

(You'll need to delete the spaces).

4. jiggaroy

jiggaroy Guest

there are quite a few of working GTOs at 16p6v. Its just that the ones that got the GTOs with their system just this week are having problems

and im one of em =/

5. @mt@

@mt@ Member

Hi
    From what I could see your bios dump seems to speak clearly...especially the registers zone...
    Maybe I can say something wrong...however here you are my thoughts:

If I am not getting wrong the "NV40_UNITS_CFG" register value is given by:

NV40_UNITS_CFG (0x3F0F initialization value: all units activated)

^ XOR operation

NV40_UNITS_MASK (current hardware unit masks configuration register)

The NV40_UNITS_MASK should be given by:

NV40_UNITS_MASK (itself)

| OR operation

NV40_SW_UNITS_MASK

The NV40_UNITS_MASK seems to be correctly zeroed so what it can figure is that your bios is using the NV40_UNITS_MASK_DEFAULT register as the second operand of the XOR operation instead the firstly upper mentioned...
    If it is true...the NVStrap "enable all units" should be upgraded to consider also such case ;)

6. It does seem that the people who got their orders the last week in oct/first week in Nov are not able to unlcok them. My order was delayed due to "Shortage of the GTO cards". That is what I was told. I got my computer from Dell on Monday.

7. IceMole

IceMole Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800GT OC @ 513/1200 (stock cooler)
    I have a guy who I've seen post on anandtech and hardforums who unlocked his, he's going to try to do a bios dump and send it over.

8. striker17

striker17 Member

GPU:
    6800 GTO, 9800 PRO
    Cool. Any idea if his BIOS revision is different than what everyone else has? Please pass along the BIOS if you happen to get it outside of this forum (I'll do the same).

--striker17

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Absolutely wrong assumption, sorry. You seem to misunderstand the meaning of 1540/C010/C020 registers. Use one of those stichky threads, I've explained what does it mean.

10. @mt@

@mt@ Member

Yep...I realized my mistake only yesterday evening ;)
    ...sorry.

11. illogix1

illogix1 Guest

So are we looking at no chance of getting these newer 6800 GTO's pipes unlocked? Is it something that can be fixed in the Riva software?

Crossing fingers... :(

12. Unwinder

Fixed? I don't think so.

13. striker17

striker17 Member

GPU:
    6800 GTO, 9800 PRO
    I'm still trying to get someone with a working 6800 GTO to verify that the BIOS revision is different than mine (non-working) and to get a dump of it to reflash. No luck so far, though :(

--striker17

14. striker17

striker17 Member

GPU:
    6800 GTO, 9800 PRO
    BIOS revision on a working 6800 GTO is the same as mine

Got a response from a user on hardforum who was able to unlock his pipes . His BIOS version was the same as mine. I've asked him to email me his BIOS so I can do a compare to make sure things are identical. If the two BIOSs are the same, then the new 6800 GTO owners may just be out of luck.

--striker17

15. Unwinder

I'm afraid that it is hardware. NV are not so stupid to patientrly sit, loose money and do nothing to stop it.

16. thomase

thomase Guest

I'm another unlucky GTO owner.

Do you FEAR that it is hardware or have you empirically proved that it is hardware? If it is hardware, it is most likely something to do with the board unless there is some kind of one-time-programmable switch on the integrated circuit (unlikely) or if nvidia has secretly started shipping NV41 parts that have made their way into Dell's 6800 GTO (also unlikey). I will look for some kind of revision ID on the PCB when I get home.

17. IceMole

IceMole Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800GT OC @ 513/1200 (stock cooler)
    Anyone elses come up as "Field Value
    Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI-E" running at 425/1150?

18. striker17

striker17 Member

GPU:
    6800 GTO, 9800 PRO
    What tool are you using to get this report? nbitor does identify the 6800 GTO BIOS as one belonging to a 6800 PCI-E Utra card with Vendor: NVIDIA, 350/900.

--striker17

19. striker17

striker17 Member

GPU:
    6800 GTO, 9800 PRO
    Re: BIOS revision on a working 6800 GTO is the same as mine

The user was able to dump his bios and email it to me. Looks like the BIOS is indeed identical, so that leaves us with the assumption that there is a difference in the hardware itself (board or otherwise.) So, those who've recently purchased a 6800 GTO are likely SOL.

Thanks to all who helped.

--striker17

20. thomase

thomase Guest

I have a non-working GTO. The board has "8974 VER: 120" etched into the front, top, right corner of the card. On the back is a sticker with "REV A00". Anyone else? I would find it hard to believe if the "hardware" issue was not related to the board (unless Nvidia is shipping NV41s).