SK Hynix to have Superfast DDR5 memory on its roadmap

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 2, 2020.

1. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    51.2GBps is per channel my friend. So, a dual channel will hit over 100GBps. To your point certainly no where close to GDDR6, but it will most definitely allow APUs to double the core counts without being memory starved. I am certainly ok with APUs with double the performance for a laptop or for my kid's PC.

2. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE

This has been the same for years with DDR memory.. Honestly I was kinda hoping that maybe DDR5 would jump up to Quad Data Rate so for example DDR5-4000 would actually be running at a 1000Mhz clock. But seems like it's the same old Double Data Rate we've had for YEARS now!

Graphics memory has gotten really weird as they still call it GDDR. The actual GDDR6 spec supports multiple clocking rates and there isn't any easy way to tell if it's using DDR, QDR or ODR rates. I bet we'll see some of the lower end video cards that use GDDR6 use QDR or even DDR rates if memory bandwidth isn't a huge concern.
    • DDR (Double Data Rate)
    • QDR (Quad Data Rate)
    • ODR (Octa Data Rate)
    Like with the 2080Ti GDDR6 it's 14,000Mhz Effective and it's actually Octa-Data Rate (8x) and actually clocked at 1,750Mhz. But to not confused the hell out of people they typically still list it at DDR rates in most tools at 7000Mhz.

3. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Sorry, I suck at explaining things. What I was saying is that this doubling is on top of DDR4. This is because DDR5 essentially runs two channels per DIMM. So, if at a given clock you are getting XMBps on DDR4 per DIMM, you will get 2XMbps on DDR5 per DIMM at the same clock.

So to your point, in certain ways this will give the benefits of QDR, without going to QDR.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: I will update my previous post to reflect that. Thanks for calling it out.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020