Set fanspeed upon detecting 3D app for 8800?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by jacky89, Dec 26, 2006.

1. jacky89

jacky89 Member

I use AtiTool to have my 8800gts o/c upon detection of a 3D app.

I tried using rivatuner to have the fan speed adjusted upon detecting 3D but it doesnt work. Anyone successful at doing that?

2. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
  3. jacky89

jacky89 Member

Followed it but still doesnt work.
    Anybody got it to work for 8800 series?

4. nif

nif Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 TRI-SLI
    Unfortunately their is no Apps that will currently control fan speed Automatically for the 8800 Series cards! You can only manually set the speeds with Riva Tuner or N tune!:mad:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006

5. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA xXx 675/2.3GHz
    I believe that the 8800 cards do not have seperate 2D/3D clocks so therefore the previous method of automatically setting the fan to increase when a 3D app. is started doesn't work.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Q: I know that my GeForce 7800GTX uses temperature based fan controlled via ADT7473, so driver-level fan control tab providing separate 2D/3D fan speed adjustment via the ForceWare driver doesn't work on my system. However I'd really like to force it to run at constant different speeds in 2D and 3D modes. Is it possible to do it with RivaTuner?
    A: Yes. RivaTuner provides you powerful and flexible monitoring thresholds technique, which can be used to implement sophisticated dynamic fan speed and overclocking algorithms. You can use it to force your fan to run at different speeds in 2D and 3D modes. To do it perform the following sequence of actions:

1. Open low-level fan control tab.
    2. Configure desired fan settings for 3D mode (e.g. fixed 100% duty cycle) and save them to low-level fan profile, e.g. "3D fan settings".
    3. Configure desired fan settings for 2D mode (e.g. fixed 50% duty cycle) and save them to low-level fan profile, e.g. "2D fan settings".
    4. Open launcher tab and add new regular item, e.g. "apply 3D fan settings".
    5. Tick "Associated fan profile" and select low-level fan profile type.
    6. Select desired low-level fan profile, e.g. "3D fan settings" and finalize adding new launcher item by pressing OK button.
    7. Open launcher tab and add new regular item, e.g. "apply 2D fan settings".
    8. Tick "Associated fan profile" and select low-level fan profile type.
    9. Select desired low-level fan profile, e.g. "2D fan settings" and finalize adding new launcher item by pressing OK button
    10. Open low-level hardware monitoring module and right click "Core clock" graph, then select "Setup" from the popup menu. Take a note that we'll define threshold on core clock for detecting switching between 2D and 3D modes.
    11. Add new threshold, e.g. "3D mode detection threshold" and define threshold value. Considering that default 2D core clock for 7800GTX is below 300MHz and default 3D core clock is above 400MHz, you may set the threshold value to 300MHz.
    12. Configure threshold to launch "apply 3D fan settings" item on upward crossing. This will cause RivaTuner's hardware monitoring module to apply it anytime when clock is changed from <300MHz to >=300MHz (i.e. anytime when 3D application is started).
    13. Configure threshold to launch "apply 2D fan settings" item on downward crossing. This will cause RivaTuner's hardware monitoring module to apply it anytime when clock is changed from >300MHz to <=300MHz (i.e. anytime when 3D application is closed).

7. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Unwinder.........That method worked for the 7800 cards but it does not seem to work for the 8800 series as they do not have a lower clock rate for 2D mode.

8. Unwinder

That quoted Q&A gives you basic understanding of the technique used to do it (i.e. profile loading based on some dynamically changing 3D hardware parameter). Of course it won't work, if you'll blindly copy it one by one without understanding your own actions. So turn on the logic and you'll get everything working.

9. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sorry Unwinder but you've lost me there.
    If the 8800 cards do not have seperate 2D/3D clock speeds then I can't see how you can get the fan speed to increase automatically when starting up a 3D application.
    All you can do with the 8800 is adjust the fan speed manually when needed.

10. Unwinder

Just a few tips:

1) You can make 2D/3D clocks separated.
    2) Linking fixed 2D/3D GPU fan speed profiles with core clock is just _one_ of many possible solutions. Look at the things wider and try to implement your own techniques, for example framerate graph can be used for detecting 3D application launch. Temperature graph can be used for the same purposes etc, etc, etc.

11. jacky89

jacky89 Member

actually what unwinder said might actually work by using "low-level" fan control. I did exactly the same as what unwinder said except i used driver-level fan control. I know there is a way to get it to work because AtiTool can set core clock upon detection of 3D on my 8800gts. I will give it a try when i have some free time

12. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    OK guys, I've configured 2D and 3D fan settings for my 8800GTX to automatically adjust when the core temp (since clock rate method doesn't work) reaches a predefined temperature.
    Now when I start up a 3D app. and the card's temperature reaches a certain threshold the fan speed automatically increases and it works a treat.
    Thanks for the tip Unwinder.

jacky89.........by the way, this was done in the low level fan settings, creating a 2D/3D fan profile then in Hardware Monitoring setting up the temperature threshold.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  13. jacky89

jacky89 Member

Cool. Btw, do you need to open riva tuner everytime to get it to work? Or will it load with windows at startup and sit in the background?

14. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You'll need to set RivaTuner to sart up with Windows, I just have it set to load minimised in the taskbar.

15. jacky89

jacky89 Member

I got it to work perfectly now too.

Now the next question is, how do I get it it to load an overclocking profile on detection of 3D so I don't have to load AtiTool along with RivaTuner?

Currently I use atitool to underclock to 250core/200mem which works marvelously and keeps temp and power usage down while working on 2D apps.

16. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Good to hear you got the fan control working also.
    As for the auto overclocking, I guess you could do the same as for the fan control and set your over/underclock profile to the temp. threshold.
    So for instance, at idle temp you could set it to underclock the card and at a predefined load temp you'd set it to overclock.

17. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Exactly. That's how I do it. On my 7950 GX2 I know that GPU_1 runs slightly warmer than GPU_0. My 3D overclock was intermittent at best so I set RT up to go to my 3D OC settings based on temp's. When I'm out of the 3D application, the core/memory speeds drop down to below stock 2D speeds when GPU_1 is <= 60 C. It works everytime. :) The temp's run cooler in 2D then when doing non_3D stuff.

18. Bobas007

Bobas007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560ti
    Now I understand why Unwinder loose nerves sometimes...

Of course U can program 8800GTS/GTX 2D/3D oc clock switch in RT.
    Then...
    Of course U can use rising (3D) GPU clock for switching to higher memory clock in RT. It can be lower for 2D/3D profiles but U can trigger "special" profile with higher RAM clock!
    Of course U can use rising GPU clock for higher fan speed...
    Use your imagination. It all can be done.

19. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's what this discussion is all about, trying different methods to find which one works, which in turn helps others who read this thread.

If you'd read the previous posts you would know that adjusting the fan speed with the 8800 series cards using 2D/3D clocks does not work because the 8800 has just the one clock speed for both 2D and 3D.
    We therefore found another way, that is you can automatically adjust fan speed by setting a predefined core temperature threshold instead of using clock speeds, but of course you already knew that didn't you??

20. jacky89

jacky89 Member

At my house, I never turn on the heat or air conditioning. Ambient temps can range from 10deg C to 30deg C throughout the year. It would be cool if I can set the clocks by autodetect 3D. I'm wondering if AtiTool can do that, why not RivaTuner.