Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 and 980 reference

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 19, 2014.

1. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    I doubt it's intentional. Probabaly just a bug in the drivers.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Didn't the 750ti shine in folding for being an entry level card?

3. desertfox5555

desertfox5555 Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 980 sc 4gb
    nice review. I've always trusted this site with its hardware reviews. This might be a stupid question but does anyone know where you can buy a gtx 970 with that titan style cooler? i can't find it anywhere. :)

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Bad gpu OC usually does that, maybe you OC'ed vram too much?

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    OpenCL performance for non-GK110 based 600 and 700 series cards was abysmal..... It was done intentionally. NVidia stripped out anything non-graphics and non-CUDA related. Which gimped OpenCL performance.

Last I read, there were "issues" with the 750Ti and Folding@Home.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  7. motopram

motopram Guest

GPU:
    780 6GB
    Great review.

I just signed up to say a big thank you to the Guru3D crew, i have been coming here for years now for the latest news, drivers and the BEST hardware reviews. This site has really helped me a lot with my PC gaming and hardware addiction.

Anyway just want to say a very big thank you for creating all this content and supporting the PC community in such a comprehensive and passionate way.

Keep up the fantastic work and i'll be coming back for many years.

Cheers!
    Leo

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ok... after lots of reading and looking at benchmarks, I know which way I'll be going:
    SLI 980, of course :D

Those cards overclock so well on air and stock voltage, I was hoping for and tbh, expecting that after the 750Ti showing off so much once it was out.
    Now, just to wait till the holidays so everything is in stock, waterblocks are released (hopefully they can go with custom PCBs...), the drivers and AB get a revision...
    That would mean a single 980 would already have me see 100% increase in power, now I'll be going for two! That will work nicely with my X99 build, up for 1440p.... can't wait to have the time to build it!

9. gocorinthians

gocorinthians Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Arriving next week my first precious g1 gaming 970! aehoooo! waiting ASUS/SAMSUNG 4k monitor comes to brazil before Witcher 3...

Steam dayONE FTW!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  10. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It definitely is... i'm at 2560x1440p since before I bought my 680s 2.5 years ago and it started 1 year ago to struggle from lack of vram. I will pick up a couple of 980s as soon as MSI pulls out their Lightnings or 8gb vram editions. As for the GPU horspower 2x680s are still probably a bit faster than 1 980 but since they get vram chocked you won't be able to use that juice at 1440p. ;)

12. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    The odd thing though is im not sure the amount of vram is the issue. Some gsmes i have 60% gpu utilization, vram usage at just over 1gig on 2 gig cars, and cpu utilization at like 20% but still have some noticable stuttering. Is this a memory bandwith issue at this resolution? Never had it at 1080p.

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I have many games that hit my 2GB vram almost instantly like Crysis 3, BF4, WD, Skyrim etc., it also depends on your AA, I usually go for at least 2x msaa, but prefer 4 or even 8. :One can get away even with 2GB vram at 1440p, provided there is little to no AA and lower textures.

The stuttering usually happens because of vram choke, but if you say that OSD shows under 2GB then it must be some sort of poor multi gpu scaling/optimization or a game like BL2 with physix set on high (that just has to have a dedicated phsyix card for optimal performance).

14. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Guest

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    WD almost maxes out my cards vram at 4k. Nothing else comes close.

15. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  17. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    These cards are great !!

I may be looking at the green side next upgrade.

18. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Whats your load temps please on this clock speed that you have achieved?

Guessing, in the 80's c?

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm running 1450/7800 on my 970 now, my new sweet spot, stock volts. Max temp in 3dmark11 59C. Irrelevant, I know, but I don't think he's anywhere near the 80s.

20. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Excellent for 970, theses cards are killer for the price and performance and its overclocking potential.

59c?? DAMN

Let me know if you can get 1550. Amazing potential.

You know just owned the 780 ti's by quite a bit with your overclocks, good job.

Very damn good, @ less then 700 Bucks, you probably might be getting near titan-z levels, yes?? seems so with your clocks, I would say close to it.

Also you might now this ? since no one responded to it fars I know:

Do you know if the NV is still going to be using the ARM equipped cpu along side with the maxwell still? Do you know if its going to be only with the 20nm(Now I am hearing NV probably going to be skipping 20nm and going to 16nm) GPU??

I heard about the ARM+Maxwell gpu like over a year or so ago, will it still be used?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014