Review: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, since it's a 100Hz screen those extra 40fps are pretty important :p But yes, in most games it does adequate FPS today, but I fear about tomorrow. The next gen cards won't see daylight in least 18 months?

2. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    when is review of rtx2070 :)

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Hehe, surely with g-sync 60 fps is ok? :)

I am willing to bet that 3000 series will be here sooner than 18 months, more like a year... but time will tell :p

4. Random_guy

Random_guy Guest

GPU:
    Hey Hilbert,

Will you do a review on the MSI 2080ti Duke too ? And if possible a comparaison with the Gaming X Trio ?

I want to upgrade my 1080 but im not sur which one of the Duke or Trio is better performance wise (aside the RGB lights).

Thanks for your work, always a pleasure to read your reviews !

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Naah, I'm picky :D

Let's hope you're right.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Yes Sir! I just popped in the Duke, will be testing it tomorrow and hope to have a review on-line late Friday or Saturday. I will include Trio result, yes.

StewieTech and Embra like this.
  7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Apple and Nvidia prices are becoming ridiculous. It's good though that the door for raytracing has been opened, but we haven't even really beaten 4K resolutions yet with "normal" rendition.

8. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I love how the word idiot gets thrown out every single generation when upgrading is concerned. Never fails. This could be a big upgrade for someone that hasn't upgraded in a while. Some people can afford it and that doesn't make them idiots.

Aura89 likes this.
  9. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    ^ Agreed.

No reason for calling people names because they decided to buy them, assuming everyone who does, doesn't know what they're doing. Not talking about the pre-orders without any performance metrics beforehand but purchasing the cards after the reviews.

At worst I would just call it a bad purchase based purely on price/performance. But that's it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  10. shabador

shabador Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI / 6GB
    I saw no mention of it in the review, but asking just to be sure: Do you remember if there was any noticeable coil whine on this model?

Looking forward to the Duke review.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Duke review will be up in the next two hours.

No there is no coil whine I can hear. However I noticed with for example strange brigade that in the menu with VSYNC disabled you can hit 1500~2000 FPS, that will give coil whine with ANY card and brand though. But gaming wise, no.

12. Nuclear

Nuclear Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI/ 11 GB
    What is the maximum power limit on this card?
    Like for evga one's it is 130% and fe is 123%.

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The default is 100% = ~265 Watt

Then NVIDIA will say to board partners, you can have an allowance to ~130% = 345 Watt (if the specific design they submitted can cope with that).

MSI TRIO has 110% left for overclocking. That means at defaults the already apply some extra on that power limiter, 120% = 318 Watts. We verified that in the power consumption measurements at 315 Watts.

Herein is your answer to be found.

14. Nuclear

Nuclear Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI/ 11 GB
    So guys buildzoid has done the PCB analysis of this GPU:

1. This one is using UP 9512 phase controller which supports up to 8 phases only and founder edition is is using MP2888 drMOS phase controller which supports up to 10 phases. Cost cutting by MSI ?

2. This GPU also don't have the power balancing circuitry like in the founders edition. I don't know will it effect the longevity and stability of this card but why MSI is cutting down on things like these.

15. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Hi Hilbert, great review of that awesome card, I've got one question though. When you ran the Firestike benchmark, what was stated under 'Clock'? I believe mine's supposed to be 1775MHz (1350MHz) but Firestrike showed it as 1995MHz (1350MHz), is this 3DMark not showing the right boost speed?