Review: Guru3D PC Buyers Guide Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Many PSUs drop practically to 0.5W or less. EU requirements is sub 1W in standby. Thing is that X470 Taichi does not have EuP option in BIOS. And manual states that it is certified with it, but requires compliant PSU.

Hilbert's test of Taichi shows that it draws tiny bit only when system is powered off. My 1st suspect was system which controls LED blinking as that runs even when system OS powered down. Maybe there is some unrelated option in BIOS which initiates small power draw and in that state PSU can't eat less than that. But that would be crazy.

I messed with all kind of BIOS settings for few hours today to no improvement. Then shuffled plugs on PSU where things are connected. Then some combination in BIOS reduced Power draw. (At least I think so. Because for confirmation I have to shut down both systems and unplug notebook from Master Switch.)

Edit: Yes, seems to be fixed. Luckily I found out after owning this PSU for few months. Finding after 2 years would make me pretty angry. As that additional cost for doing nothing would be enough to buy 3 times as expensive PSU which does not do this under some conditions.

(That's for not being paranoid for once and presuming that generally well reviewed component does not have Goblins hidden somewhere.)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    airbud7 likes this.