[Radeon 6950] Possible artifacts and help with them.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by stubblepoo, Aug 12, 2011.

1. stubblepoo

stubblepoo Guest

GPU:
    ati 6950 2gb
    I got a reference sapphire 6950 sometime around xmas and for some time ran it unlocked with a 6970 bios and at OC‘ed 910/1400. It ran a gauntlet of stresses and even the Witcher 2 fine. However a few months later went back to COD4 and noticed some green lines that flickered up on the screen sometimes. I could make them happen if I also had the Mobo manufactureres OC software (AsRock OC tuner) also open on the desktop but they would stop once i minimised it. I reflashed the 6950 to its default bios and unlocked the shaders manually with that software i cant remember the name of. Still got the lines. I have flicked the bios switch to 2 to see whether the problem was with me messing up the bios under switch 1 but i still get them. I am pretty sure they only happen when GPU under >98% load. Its not an issue with cooling cos i use headphones so normally have the fans high and the GPU temp never goes above 50 degrees.
    It now happens with most pretty games ie: Mass Effect 2, Metro 2033, splinter cell conviction.
    Any thoughts?
    Cheers Spoo.

2. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Artifacts usually appear when high clocks are applied, especially on the ram. Flashing to a 6970 bios might not be so safe... I mean it may be STABLE, but that doesn't mean you won't get corrupted images.
    It is clear that the problem doesn't lie on temps, but from errors generated in the allocated textures on the Vram cuz of the high clocks... maybe try flashing bios and lowering some MHZ on the Vram?

Hope you can solve it

3. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Not on GDDR5 cards. The error correction in GDDR5 memory means that artifacts aren't rendered onto the screen. If GDDR5 is overclocked too far, you'll actually see slowdown (in benchmarks) due to this error correction, as opposed to seeing the artifacts visually on the screen.

Flashing to a 6970 bios might not be so safe... I mean it may be STABLE, but that doesn't mean you won't get corrupted images.
    It is clear that the problem doesn't lie on temps, but from errors generated in the allocated textures on the Vram cuz of the high clocks... maybe try flashing bios and lowering some MHZ on the Vram?

Hope you can solve it[/QUOTE]

It sounds more like his core clock is too high. If that isn't the case, the memory on his card could be faulty... faulty memory modules would possibly cause corruption.

4. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    It sounds more like his core clock is too high. If that isn't the case, the memory on his card could be faulty... faulty memory modules would possibly cause corruption.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the correction, I dind't know that GDDR5 mems had ECC !! I have been using videocards with GDDR3 ram and actually managed to get artifacts when too high frecuencies where applied on the Vram.
    So... it's the OC's fault, but on the Core?

5. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Thanks for the correction, I dind't know that GDDR5 mems had ECC !! I have been using videocards with GDDR3 ram and actually managed to get artifacts when too high frecuencies where applied on the Vram.
    So... it's the OC's fault, but on the Core?[/QUOTE]

Possibly, it's either that or the memory itself is faulty through pushing the core clocks too far for too long.

6. stubblepoo

stubblepoo Guest

GPU:
    ati 6950 2gb
    i should have added everything is now at stock speeds again and i still get the artifacts. so i seem to have corrupted the memory have i? bugger. hopefully it wont get worse, it aint to annoying yet. i was gonna oc again for bf3 too...
    cheers on the ideas.
    i guess there is nothing i can do to fix it?