Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 for Microsoft® DirectX on WSL [27.20.2001.5002]

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Krteq, Jun 17, 2020.

1. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    haha I didn't see anything different from 20.5.1. what is this GPU acceleration thing all about anyway?

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Honestly I would prefer this to be more optional and modular but I guess the many complaints and problem reports have seen so AMD has started to try and get additional logging and crash data.
    20.5.1 or actually 20.4.2 when updated added the AMD logging service though it appears to default to disabled and now this driver takes that a step further and adds the crash reporting utility although users still have to fill out details manually and include additions like the DirectX diagnostics report.

Then again I would want the Catalyst Settings software to be more modular too, core settings software with components for ReLive, AMD Overlay and Wattman plus either update and fix security in that browser component or throw it out entirely.
    NVIDIA gets flak for some of their designs and I suppose their drivers too have a bunch of extras that can be slimmed down but I like the overall visibility and simplicity even if perhaps it could be made to load faster, UI itself is just looks and a shell for the software but AMD's is not my favorite nestling in options in menus and submenus and all sorts of different tabs and details plus embedding AMD news although at least that stuff can be disabled unlike other options going missing or having no effective way to disable them outside of file renaming or registry editing.

That's secondary to fixing up the remaining known issues though, priorities and all that so stability and bug fixes then performance and then features.
    And maybe end Adrenaline December driver "All in!" and roll out features gradually with proper testing over time and not a major overhaul every year followed by a few months of fixes for these.

EDIT: The log data and problem reporting in itself isn't a bad thing just to clarify that, assuming AMD actually follows through and uses said data and we start seeing things actually getting fixed as dumps and crash details are sent in not just getting these handful of fixes or game optimizations every driver as the known issues list remains unchanged.

But sure some of these issues do have a certain randomness or problematic situation in replicating them that's fair too but some of the other reports and known issues and shortcomings should have been easily resolved by this point.

EDIT: Suppose the whole FineWine community/fan terminology for this sort of stuff is a bit apt in a way, fermentation process does take time after all.

Suppose I've been a bit hard on the drivers overall lately but then it's also been just short of a year now with some of these ongoing issues and that really needs to be stepped up and resolved and then never happen again.

But we'll see how that goes when the new hardware launches, hopefully it works better than last time.

EDIT: Ah and I see the release notes for this driver have been updated now, nice!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  3. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Now then let's see what's in this driver I never compared the profile file for it and 20.5.1 as it turns out.

Also when saving the Wattman defaults it seems there's one new state written into the resulting XML.

It's something doing something, yeah these numbered ID's don't really give too much.

And then 20.10.17.01 against 20.20.01.05 here.

New section, Turbo Sync and a blacklist feature for it.

And Forza 4 has a override for what looks to be disabling Free Sync?

Profile for GTA V got renamed GTA 5 and this includes the EXE file which...maybe isn't correct?

This here is just the High Performance GPU Affinity flag though for preferring a dedicated GPU as the primary choice.

EDIT: Unless I missed it for 20.5.1 the Vulkan API support is also up to 1.2.139.0 from 1.2.132.2 I believe it was.
    (Newest runtime/SDK for Windows is 1.2.140.0)

AMD's audio driver also seems to be up from 10.0.1.12 to 10.0.1.16

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    OnnA likes this.
  4. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Huh, What are you talking about? TURBOSYNC flag is used for Enhanced Sync and it's in registry for ages...

HD64G likes this.

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm that's interesting. :)

It's a new addition to the atiapfxx.blb file and it's sections compared to prior drivers.

EDIT: Ah maybe it's a further fix of Enhanced Sync ("Turbo Sync" ?) by blacklisting it in problematic software via these additions and the new flag for that purpose.
    Yeah that has to be it, disallow it for usage in media players and web browsers from the looks of the initial blacklist profiles.

HD64G likes this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    It all depends on the system specs, i have no issues with Enhanced Sync + Anti Lag at all.
    Gosh, it's the best configuration with Freesync for my RIG.

BFV is so smooth & fast :p

Q:
    Guys it is a driver for Windows, Yes?
    Is it really better? Im happy with 20.5.1 WHQL....
    Where is it located on AMD/ATI Site?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  7. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    It makes perfect sense

8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    ooops sorry

9. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    So from my preliminary tests I am happy to tell that I have been running this driver for 1,5 days now, haven't used my black screen workaround (locking at the P1 state) and so far - so good, no black screens yet. I really do hope AMD finally nailed it!

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Updated to June 30th now on AMD's website.

dx12-wsl-radeon-software-adrenalin-20.20.01.05-june30.exe

EDIT: Small version number bump at least.

And this one.

So July 29th here instead of July 8th I believe is how that works then some build version numbers.

And a version bump to the AMD User Experience Program software too.

EDIT: And a silly thing it seems.

AMD Log is gone and in it's place is the...

AMD Crash Defender

EDIT: So on that note.

Who defends a GPU crash?

[AMDFENDR_INSTALL.Services]
    DelService = AMD Log Utility, 0x00000200
    DelService = amdlog, 0x00000200
    AddService = amdfendr,0x00000802,amdfendr_ServiceInstallSection
    AddService = AMD Crash Defender Service, 0x00000000, amdfendrsr_Generic_Service_Inst, amdfendrsr_EventLog_Inst

Guess that means a bit more work for the GPU cleanup software too taking out the old service and then here's this instead though at least the system routine here does clear the log utility service out and then you get the AMD Fendr instead. :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    PrEzi likes this.

11. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    The AMD Crash Defender Service provides additional logging to minidumps (gets created by default when the system crashes), which are submitted with the Bug Report Tool.

DanielRX, HD64G, PrEzi and 1 other person like this.
  12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm not too bad, expanding on the initial logging service and not just renaming it then from the sounds of it. :)

Hopefully also getting rid of that one issue in the process.
    EDIT: Nevermind that one was actually in the list of fixed issues, no risk of a BSOD from AMDLog.sys with either of these two drivers then. :)

13. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    So... 3,5 days on the "old" 20.20.01.05 wsl driver from 8.06.2020 and.... still happy to report no black screens on my VEGA64 that was plagued by them since the 2020 branch.... I am more and more convinced that the issue is fixed ! I am a little bit scared to touch the working driver... but on the other hand it itches me really to try the wsl update.... :D But for the sake of comparability I will stay for a few more days on the 8.06.2020 wsl driver.

If I will manage an uptime of 1 week+ without a black screen then I will open my most expensive 20+ year old whisky and pour me a big glass and drink n cheer for AMD ! ! ! ! :p:D;)
    Anyone from Vanguard reading this can forward my update to AMD and thank them guys.... but only when the bottle has been opened :)

P.S. It would really interest me when the wsl changes will be integrated in the "normal/consumer" branch....

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    DanielRX, HD64G and OnnA like this.
  14. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Well, we have 2 branches released now

20.20.xxx for WDDM 2.7 and WSL2 support
    20.10.xxx for WDDM 2.7 and HAGS support

I'm expecting 20.20.xxx branch will include support for HAGS as well in newer builds

PrEzi likes this.
  15. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Krteq likes this.

16. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    So I am nearing 1 week on the WSL driver from 8.06.2020 and no Black Screens. Nearly 99% sure now that the issue is FINALLY fixed in the wsl drivers and I hope AMD will also roll out these fixes to other driver branches as well. I think today I will open the promised bottle of my most expensive whisky and drink for AMD & their driver team for finally nailing this one :D

HD64G, Krteq, OnnA and 1 other person like this.
  17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    So now we need 20.7.1 WHQL :p

18. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Yeah I was so happy that I am now with my glass.... poured me a little bit more in the hopes that the driver I have updated to now (wsl from 29.06.2020 posted here) will also contain those fixes :D
    Anyhow.... My belief and hopes in AMD have risen again considerably... Now I don't wait for 20.7.1 that much.... but rather for RDNA2 top of the line card as well as a new ZEN3 Threadripper for my rig ;):cool:
    I do hope AMD will show a top tier that can start the fight with the top of the line green goblin. Would put an even bigger smile on my face.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    HD64G likes this.
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ^^ I'm glad for You Bratan' :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  20. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319
    working fine with my both cards on different configs i5 3570 + RX580 and R5/1600 + VEGA56,
    no black screen, no siginal lost, affter 7 days in use and stress tests, very solid perfomance.

OnnA likes this.