Question about buying a NVMe SSD drive

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by anticupidon, Jun 8, 2017.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Helo fellow gurus !
    I have a question about buying a SSD NVMe drive.
    I have decided to upgrade to a larger 512 GB SSD NVMe in order to substitute the actual 256 GB drive which holds my OSs and games.That 256 GB will go inside my Thinkpad X220.
    My motherboard seems to support booting from a NVMe drive and allocate 4 PCIe lanes to the M.2 boot drive.
    I want a MLC based SSD, i just don't want TLC for that amount of money spent.
    I have to decide which drive should i get.
    The MyDigitalSSD BPX 480 GB (0,56€/GB), the Toshiba RVD400 512 GB (0,47€/GB) or the 960 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB (0,51€/GB) ?

2. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Definitely get the Samsung. You may even be able to find a 950 pro on sale. I'm using a 950 pro and it's insanely fast.

3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm currently using a Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe as my boot drive and have no complaints.

Really though, any NVMe SSD will do. Just choose a reputable brand and pick something within your price range.

4. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    the plextor m8pe is also a nice alternative

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Another 960 EVO here. Absolutely love it. Using my SATA ssds as storage drives now.

6. joey79

joey79 Guest

GPU:
    GTX780
    I would only buy from NAND manufacturers. Other Brands need to buy NAND and you never know which quality they purchased.
    Toshiba is good, Samsung is best, my personal opinion.

7. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    I totally agree with this sentiment, and not just for SSDs but for RAM and PSUs as well.

The 960 Pros are MLC and apparently as good as you can get currently. The Evos are TLC and i dont think they offer full power loss protection but i could be wrong. Given the choices, i would probably get the 960 Pro or even a 950 Pro if you want to save money.

8. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Samsung 960 pro 512gb here, recently upgraded from a 960evo 256, read speeds drop off drastically went populated but i quess that goes for any drive but the overall access performance feels so much.....snappier the the evo....and that was quick. Prices for ssd`s seem to be quite good atm unlike ddr4 prices.

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Thanks for all the input.
    The Samsung 960 pro 512gb increased in price a bit (i'm buying from Amazon DE with a discount), but OCZ dropped a few €.
    I can buy the OCZ right now and fits inside my budget limit, or wait until Samsung 960 pro 512gb drops the price until i can afford it.
    Both have MLC NAND and both are great drives, Samsung being the superior choice.The warranty is what i am worried a bit..by word of mouth Samsung is not so customer friendly..OCZ on the other hand have Advanced Warranty Program.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Samsung is a very "anti-customer" company when it comes to honoring their warranty...

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Just bought OCZ RD400.Time will tell if i did the right or wrong choice.To me, as for now, the difference in speed between two top NVMe SSDs is more synthetic than practical.
    Will i suffer for the difference in speeds? Will i be pointed at and shamed for not getting the best latest badass NVMe SSD?
    Just deliver my package and i will post some results.I am more than keen to see how NVMe are faring in *Nix world.

12. thefather

thefather Guest

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Got my OCZ RD400 after a few hurdles.Popped it in the mb's M.2 slot and ...ran some tests.
    Well, i've got the same results as Hilbert when he wrote the review for the same OCZ RD400.
    But i got also the same or higher temps (75-80 C), which for me are too high and i ordered a Kryom. 2 PCIe 3.0 x Adapter M.2 passive cooler.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    960 EVO

[​IMG]

Had to flashback with an UEFITool modded BIOS (NvmExpressDxE_2.ffs) for it to work, besides installing Samsungs NVMe driver.