Preview: Intel Core i9 Skylake-X processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Was just thinking the same thing. I can't imagine the 18 core chip running a 4.0Ghz Turbo without throttling almost immediately. Or melting through the bottom of your case :p

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I don't think you mean for an average enthusiast it's all the same if the price is one or two thousand dollars. Sure, if Intel's 10C somehow ends up blowing AMD's 16C out of the water, then it's a different story.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I couldn't agree more. If people here were actually the enthusiasts Enticles claims (where price isn't a top priority), they're all hypocrites. Intel has had 8 and 10 core i7s for a while now, and they've gone way beyond 18 cores in their Xeon lineup. The only difference is some of these models aren't overclockable. But as established before, you don't really want to be overclocking that many cores.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    They will sell them at power efficient clock, so I expect that to have 3.1GHz base and 3.7GHz maximum clock. There Ryzen is damn good at power efficiency.

Feature wise intel dropped in hurry every important feature which would make that platform of theirs attractive.

I am quite sure AMD's cost of entire platform (CPU+MB+4x RAM) will be lower than intel's while AMD providing similar or better performance & features.

Then it is important that intel no longer considers IPC as "instructions per cycle" but they see it as "instructions per core per second" or something similar. So their 10% IPC "Boost" is just 10% higher maximum clock given to user out of the box.
    And it is neat trick since they can always claim that it is over their previous workstation platform or server platform.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

5. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Only RAID 0 is "free"

RAID 1 or 10 costs a $99 key
    RAID 5 costs a $300 key

That is pretty harsh lol

6. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    There has been a wccf leaked table of varients released in which the 1976X 14c / 28t, 3.6base 4.1boost 140W CPU was mentioned.

That is the highest clocking chip on boost, not a lot more, but perhaps indicates a slighty more mature design than the debuted 1800x

7. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    INTEL will be doing AMD an immense favor when they start charging consumers wallet busting prices for these CPU's.

8. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    Linus Tech Tips take on this preview was very spot on. Intel proposition does not deliver, and underwhelms.

9. garfie75

garfie75 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5750
    Wait, what, the i7 7740X and the intel i5 7640X have 16 PCI-E lanes?

Seriously?

So you buy a monsterboard with the same monstrous price for that? I'm really confused here.

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Noob question again(sorry if ot)...but whats a key?

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    A physical finger bone from Andy Grove's grave that awakens the magical RAID powers of X299 motherboards.

12. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Ha!

@ airbud Not sure exactly what it looks like but it is usually a little add-in board/module or a USB dongle with either a hardware or software based decrypt key that tells the system you've coughed up enough money for it to allow you access to certain features.
    Kinda like a physical version of the long strings of letters and numbers you had to enter when you first installed a game back before steam did it all for you.

13. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    aah yes indeed, that digital massage X299 needs via the insertion of the mini dongle Intel desires to Profit from.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, and i understand this, but $400 for 2 cores and PCI-Express lanes?

I understand a business is a business and they need to make a profit and etc. but since when has a 2-core processor with 16-PCI-Express lanes cost, to a consumer, $400? Because that's the difference between their 8 and 10 core processor. I know, in general, this isn't a "linear" path, the higher end the higher premium, i get it. But again, when was the last time you saw a 2-core processor, with 4 threads, and 16 PCI-Express lanes, go for $400? 10 years ago? MAYBE?!

I just wish consumers would get their heads screwed on straight when it comes to this kind of thing and tell Intel "NO, this is not OK." But i don't hold hope that'll actually happen.

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    You already answered your own question. If you like or accept the answer it´s a different question... And i agree with you on this one but i doesn´t change anything in the end.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Seriously who cares though?

How many people do you know that are raiding multiple M.2 SSDs?

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's this kind of thinking that allows the sale of the magic finger bones.

18. nattefrost

nattefrost Guest

GPU:
    gtx 660
    expect to see AMD fire sale

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No, i did not answer my own question, because even though i understand its not a linear path (in general), does not mean it makes that price hike make sense.

If 8GB stick of ram cost 80$, i could expect a 16GB stick to cost $180-200, since its on a single stick, even though i could get two 8 gig sticks for 160. That makes sense. But the equivalent of this would be more like you can get an 8 gig stick for $80, or you can get a 16GB stick for $300. That no longer makes sense, even with understanding that its not a linear path.

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's a money grab, pure and simple. Intel obviously wants you to cough up the premium for their 10+ core chips (there is no other reason why they would do this).

The worst thing about all this is that if you choose to buy a KB-X or a 6/8 core Skylake-X processor, then you will essentially be paying for features of a X299 motherboard which you cannot use (and simply because Intel does not want you to).