Prevent laptop CPU from overheating

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Jeff, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Jeff

Jeff Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560 TI 2GB
    Hello

I have this almost not used Clevo Barebone W170HR 17.3'' - Optimus GT555M / Intel Core i7 - 2720QM 2.20 - 3.30 Ghz laptop. But when I run my algorithms (testing sorting algorithms) the processor temp climbs to 100 degrees in under 10 minutes and then shuts down.
    Is it because its a laptop and the cooling isn't efficient enough? Or is there something wrong with this particular one?
    I was using arch linux with bumblebee not using the gpu.

Greetings Jeff

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    The only things you could try is cleaning out the cooler and changing the thermal paste really. It is meant to throttle down in speed to keep temps under control but maybe that doesn't work in arch? Is it shutting down at full speed still?

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^This. Your heatsink might be caked in dust.

4. Jeff

Jeff Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560 TI 2GB
    My heatsink is pretty clean actually and I'm using arctic silver 5.

What is controlling the throttling down if the cpu gets hot? Isn't the bios or the cpu itself supposed to do that?

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    supposed to, stops it blowing up.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Please read forum section before posting, you posted in the AMD section.

Moved.

deltatux

7. Jeff

Jeff Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560 TI 2GB
    Thank you for moving I was a bit hasty posting this topic. Will pay more attention.

I noticed it doesn't overheat when I turn the nvidia GPU on. So could it be to much for the processor to vizualize a low requirements window manager (xmonad) on 2 1080p displays while processing?

Greetings
    Jeff

8. phrozin

phrozin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    hey man go in to your power profile and use balanced and also tweak the advance cooling profile and min cpu state it will drop the voltage to the cpu had the same issue mine would shut down i also used a notebook chill mat like the coolermaster notepal u or u3 there pretty good and wont cost you your left nut well worth the effort if you game or benchmark

running high performance it will run the voltage at full where balance will only raise it to what is needed mine doesn't see anything much past 60 when you use the nv driver that would have power saving on by default thats why it runs cooler on it

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    3 things you can do to help.

1) Use the laptop where there is cooler air.
    ie not near a heat source.

2) Raise the rear of the laptop.
    This exposes more of the laptop to cooler air and gives air a gradient to flow up, promoting air flow around the laptop.

3) blow a fan at the laptop, or fit a laptop cooler underneath it.

10. Jeff

Jeff Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560 TI 2GB
    Ok thanks. In new to having a high performance laptop. I expected the easy use from a workstation.

Many thanks.

11. phrozin

phrozin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    here you go read this will help you with setting your power levels to keep the voltage to the cpu to a min will cool down your cpu quite a bit but invest in a chill mat anyone with a i7 notebook its a must

http://blog.laptopmag.com/windows-advanced-power-options-explained

i have both of these 2 so i know they work some are useless
    http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3007&product_name=NotePal U3

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3051&product_name=NotePal U Stand

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  12. Jeff

Jeff Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560 TI 2GB
  13. soulhunter

soulhunter Guest

GPU:
    Intergrated
    Jeff: I have been in the same boat as you in the past.... IMO, if you are going to do some serious computing, you need to get a "gaming laptop", as these will usually have better cooling (but are expensive), or just get a desktop system. Now that you already have the laptop, adding a good notebook cooler is the best you can do, even then: try to *not* use all the cores at the same time (I had the same issue as you: laptop would shutdown itself, because of heat).

I ended up getting a desktop system, with higher specs than my previous laptop, and for a lower price, I'm now happier when I need to crunch some numbers :) .