Post Your Hi-Fi Equipment Here (Something a little different!)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Deckard79, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I think even at 10mW you'll probably damage your hearing.

They're (HD650s) 103dB at 1mW - even 103dB is pretty damn loud! I think I generally listen at around 80dB - so a few hundred uW lol

But yeah - 120mW is enough that you'll never get anywhere near running out of power with your HD650s.

The lack of global negative feedback is an odd choice - though that seems to be the fashionable thing these days.

2. robert1990

robert1990 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    Hmm, I'm really tempted to get a Rhinelander. Price dropped by AUD 300, what a bargain!!!! Hope the price will stay the same until I get enough money.....

3. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    It looks like a good amp for the money, seems like you'll be very happy with it :)

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Try it out, just make sure there is a return policy in case it is not for you.

5. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    thanks man! they don't make them like they use to nowadays with large transformers and hefty power supplies for effortless musical power and clarity.

i have no trouble driving about any speaker type or headphones from these amps(dynamic,planer magnetic,electrostatic,ect.).i'm happy with them.

6. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    The older speakers and receivers have a warm tone to them. My uncle has alot of early 70's stuff he uses for vinyl. that's how I ended up with my cans was the love for that sound.

7. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    My system at the moment is a mixture of parts that I have put together myself. I am continuously changing things as money allows. I currently have 2 Zebra DJZ15s (400W ea) as front speakers which are full range speakers with dual tweeters, a mid horn and 15inch bass drivers. For centre and rears I have three 6x9inch Technics SB-PC600 (100W ea). These are all powered by a Denon AVR-2000 Receiver (5x125W). And the audio signal I feed to the Denon comes off of a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic that I have modified with LM4562 opamps.

I am always limited by budget. Future plans include replacing the centre and rear speakers with some nice tower speakers. Then probably the Creative soundcard will be the next to change. And eventually a new receiver. It is a bit of a Frankenstein system that keeps evolving and changing.

8. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock

not all vintage gear has a warm tone at all. it depends on the circuit design and components used(mainly transformers and caps) in the circuit that can give a certain sound. a really good amp believe it or not has no sound of it's own. only amp i have that gives a nice little warm tone is my 1976 Craig receiver. my sansui's i use are very natural. Even not all tube amps give a ''warm'' sound. lot of tubes are very natural.that warm sound actually comes from a type of harmonic distortion.

9. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    What type of cable would you guys use to connect and xfi forte to a receiver with? Right now I'm using a $2 cable from monoprice connected from line out to stereo jacks on receiver. Is this passable?

10. SabreWulf69

SabreWulf69 Guest

GPU:
    G.B. GTX 560 Ti SOC 1GB
    Optical or coax 1st if the card and receiver supports it, otherwise TRS to RCA pair connection cables.

11. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    we have basically the same setup, save that i have a schiit Valhalla tube amp between my stx and hd650 (though i also use an xmeridian 2g) and i can wholeheartedly recommend this amp, i love it. then again, im also very new to the audio world, but i can definitely tell the difference on the hd650 between using it unamped and amped on the stx and its $350 US if its in your price range.

12. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    hum i own in amps balanced but not really balanced lol b22 , Blue Hawaii (stax) headphones i own hd800 , lcd-2, 3 pairs i made my self which is pretty nice for different music based on same idea as thunderpants but much more advanced im a better turner then most , o2mk1 , cd3k , r10 , jh-13s. some other ones i didn't end up selling before being banned at head-fi. and a udac

out of all this i really only use the 3 i made and the lcd-2 if any one wants a cheap pair of hd800s i might sell :) could always buy a new bandsaw. if any one has any questions on headphones i have heard just about every thing out there send me a pm.

13. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    We (I) need pictures!

Any details of your DIY creations?

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    If you really are planning to by a HD800, I'd invest alot in it. Having a HD800 hooked up to a lesser source is just... I can't find a word for it, something that involves facepalm and crying about "waste" at the same time.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There are lots of good sources available for good deals these days. It is a great time to get involved in the audio game.

16. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    here is a pic of my pair that i have made many modifications to it, little metal L's are still in place today always forget to remove them when i take the headphone apart to change the sound around. ill take a good pic of my favorite pair i should get them back in a week or so form my uncle funny thing is a the ear pads cost more then the headphones..... lol as long as i dont factor in the cost of my lathe and tools then i have the most expensive headphones one can buy :banana:

PICS ARE HUGEEEEEE

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I bet that sound nice, Look like Two bowls on your head.

18. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    haha yeh they were one of the first things i ever turned they sound pretty damn good for the cost of under $100 :) better then any other closed headphone i have heard so far.

19. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    [​IMG]

I have Sony MDR-7506 headphones. Headphones are meh after listening to the big speakers though.

I need to buy another amplifier or two to bi-amp the speakers. Also need an electronic crossover as the bi-amp terminals do not run through the cabinet's internal crossover network.

20. robert1990

robert1990 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    Yep, that's for sure. I'll upgrade my audio equipment step by step, and when I have enough money I'll go get a good source :)