PlayStation 5 Tech Details - 8x ZEN2 cores, RDNA2 with 2304 shaders (16GB GDDR6) + 825 GB (5.5 GB/s)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2020.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wait is that why they I read something about 825gb? that is less space then my ps4 has it less space then ps3 has it less space then my pc has, they can be serious about launching it with 825gb I have like 10 of my games installed and I have 800 gbs + installed on it s 1 TB drive

2. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    About what was expected. I'm still in the wait and see camp, and still expect to use my PC as my primary platform. Hopefully they have some solid exclusives lined up for this thing, as that was my reason for buying a PS4.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think that is why it is gonna be cheaper then the xbox. you will still be able to add a second drive with the same speed though, so that is at least something. USB speeds or Sata would have been dramatic.

4. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    This is going to be an expensive piece of equipment, and unfortunately for the wrong reasons.

Wonder if consoles are going to fall into the problem as PC's suffer, where developers like Ubisoft shrug their shoulders and say, 'we don't need to optimize our games,' and instead of citing, 'PC gamers can just build faster PC's', they're essentially going to use the buffed specs as an excuse not to optimize again. Graphic fidelity might improve, but it's still only going to chug along at 20-50 FPS.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I know but I prefer NOT to have to do that, I dont want to spend 100+ $ of 1 TB drive or 1.6 TB or what weird size is obviously happen cause of how there configured, nor do i want be swapping out expansion drives cause they dont have "propriety" drive of adequate size and reasonably priced currently a 2TB SSD driver costs about 200$ which probably a lil less then half the price of what the console will be, if it proprietary can you image how a 2tb would cost?

That been there excuse for decades for pc ports why would that change, UBIsoft cant and release game in Playable states half the time they have dayone patches the size of the game to fix what was fixed before it was launched.

fry178 likes this.
  6. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well the easy answer to the question why PC is bigger, is cause its not made with SSD's in mind its made with HDD still, also higher quality textures maybe less compression and all that. This is why this advancement is odd, in theory we could see smaller games... or least my hope for PC the option to install SSD data where we dont have files duplicated. Though think that depends on the game how much of an issue that makes

7. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Why do I feel that they made this presentation right after XBOX released their specs? Seems soo basic xd
    I'm happy for the CPU, but really dissapointed in the GPU. Consoles are more GPU bottlenecked, and compared to XBOX, they raised CPU which is pretty useless, and REALLY lowered the GPU. 36 vs 52? Damn.
    Even if PS had a good reputation, I would give my money 99% to xbox. Plus, no backwards compatibility.

About storage. WTF guys, 825 is fcking enough lol. If you want more you can expand. What you expect from like 400 dollar? THATS ALONE AN 1TB NVME SSD

8. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well i meant they hopefully have the option, like ps3 had 20gb and 60gb, and ps4 had 500gb or 1tb. Options are nice for people. I am confused is well how they got the odd number, i can only assume its because some data is taken or reserved for system. But odd its shown this way.

1000% agree about the m.2 expansion though, i do fear the MS approach will be too expensive, charge prices for pcie4 when its only pcie3 that kind of stuff. Have to see what the whitelist is mind you, but i assume the top SD guys like Samsung and Intel should be there, maybe seagate, WD and corsair as well. Long as its PCIe4 drives it seems like it could be a non issue

9. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    Still wondering how AMD is going to approach RT. PS5 is gonna have 36CUs and they claim it can do RT. So does AMD only need the raw power of 36CUs to do that, or is there something else going on?

It's the actual usable size of a 1TB drive, Sony just decided to be honest :D.

10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I may be the only one, but I thought that presentation was creepy. Seriously, creepy! I thought wasting time talking about previous Playstations was--well, time wasted! The topic of interest is PS5, not PS4,3,2, etc. I mean, it was staged as if it was in front of an audience--but it was just fake silhouettes of an audience that wasn't there! What a bizarre choice of delivery! It was obvious the whole thing was thrown together at the last minute. He'd sometimes pause as if waiting for applause--which of course never came. And the presentation delivery itself sounded so corny--like it had been written and rewritten a hundred times to make sure every t was crossed--and what's-his-name's diction was so prim and precise it was sort of revolting, honestly. The emotional content here is zero--I mean it was dull and it was totally flat. If he was excited by anything to do with PS5 I didn't see it. I don't recall seeing even what the PS5 looked like! Pretty much I saw absolutely nothing in that presentation that would inspire me to buy the thing--although I'm not into consoles, anyway. Microsoft's presentation seemed much more likely to get positive results. I'd give Sony a D- for that presentation.

jbscotchman likes this.

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    AMD makes both Sony's and Microsoft console hardware, never forget. Xbox has 52 compute units and PS5 36. AMD builds the hardware specs (like the number of CU's and shaders) to what Sony and Microsoft order. But the hardware is AMD-designed 100%. For RDNA2 on the desktop later this year, no one knows what the various desktop discrete cards will have in the way of shader/CU specs, yet. It's obvious Sony and Microsoft ordered these consoles with differing styles of play in mind--will be interesting to see how that plays out! As for RT--we'll have to wait awhile to get the skinny on that, even though there's hardly any rush to support the option among developers right now. Perhaps that will pick up now that Vulkan also supports the API feature.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Still does not make sense. how do you get 1TB of raw space from 12 vNAND chips?

13. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    Just a joke mate :).

14. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Quite the contrary. This past generation, the CPUs were the bottleneck in most cases where frames dropped. Since both of these consoles are RDNA2, we can compare TF. So the PS5 is only about 17% slower than the Series X.

15. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Spec of PS5 are not bad just XVX will be bit better but as always everything will depends on actual games than HW specs

Personally looking forward to have PS5, owned every PS and will get another one unless Gran Turismo is ported on PC hahaha, I'm buying only PS for one game which I play that's it

Owned as well every XBOX but usually I sold them because of lack of interesting games and hate Forza games, online is just mayhem hahaha

Thanks, Jura

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Is it slower though? It appears SMT is not disabled at any time so like for like it’s only 100Mhz lower. Plus the Ps5 offloads the compression and decompression to a specialized chip.

Fediuld likes this.
  17. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    MS mentioned that there is hardware decompression for SSD I/O. I'd imagine it's similar to the PS5's, but I don't think it's as powerful since the SSD is half as fast.

In any case, I'm glad they're embracing nvme. Lot's of data transfer queues at high speeds. Low CPU overhead from the I/O acceleration.

I'm looking forward to what devs can do with it. Other than ray-tracing, I think the fast I/O will advance LOD so much and will be the hallmark of this new generation.

18. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    You're still paying a premium for your games, perhaps not that cheap in the long run.

19. Godeau

Godeau Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GP
    Remember that what is shown to us isn't a PS5 Pro, which is something that we should expect down the line from Sony.

20. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Then you use a "gig" preset. :p

Dragam1337 and Fediuld like this.