Origin Web Helper Service

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Brogan, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Note, this is for Windows 7x64. Do not know if this service behaves the same under different OS's.

So, since the BF1 beta, and the installing and uninstalling of the game and Origin (I had no need for it between the Beta and the games release), I noticed something peculiar about my system startup.

I would boot up, and for the first 10-15 seconds after the desktop comes up, none of my system tray programs start, I cannot open certain programs because of out of memory error codes, and things seem slightly to moderately sluggish.

So I went into services to see what was causing this. Didn't see anything specific (as I was assuming a Windows service was the culprit) After combing through a couple things, I noticed 2 Origin Services, both set to Automatic: Origin Client Service, and Origin Web Helper Service. So I tested both, and dammit if the Web Helper service wasn't the issue. Set it to Manual, and the problem goes away.

If anybody else uses W7 and has this problem, give it a try. I'd also be interested to know if this has the same (or any similar) effect in alternate OS's.

edit: sorry if this is the wrong place. I figured it was because of BF1 that I found it, so here would be appropriate. Feel free to move it to another location.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    So when you say set it to manual, I'm assuming you mean go to the Origin client settings and disable automatic updates ? Might give this a go on my missus' rig as shes been having a few issues.

3. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Until they fix it so it doesn't affect my pc this way, yep. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for whenever ppl say it updated on here.

4. lamparcicho

lamparcicho Member

GPU:
    Evga 980Ti sc+
    Same problem on win8.1, disable manually origin web helper service ;)

5. brothergc

brothergc Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    I have a problem with it as well , could not figure out what was causing me slow connect times to the internet apon boot . On cold boot or reboot it would take 3 or 4 minutes before I could get online or even open a program . This dumb service is the cause

well here is my fix , I just ununstall the stupid service .
    How to disable this service.
    Open a command prompt. (Run a command prompt as Administrator in Windows vista/7/8)
    Copy red command line and Paste.
    sc stop "Origin Web Helper Service"
    sc config "Origin Web Helper Service" start= disabled

How to delete this service.
    sc delete "Origin Web Helper Service"

That is my fix :banana:
    the only downside I can see is you will have to do this everytime orgin updates itself or just turn updates off for it

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Should go away if you toggle off the helper service in the Origin client though, it's momentarily invoked when the client is updated but it shuts off again after that or when restarting the client after a update is finished.
    (The other service can also the disabled via the client as I remember but it too is invoked occasionally such as during updates but it turns off afterwards.)

7. brothergc

brothergc Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    well not for me it didn't :)
    I tryed that , turning it off in the orgin program , it still left the service set to automatic and running . IMO this service serves no use but to take up resources that have no bearing on running the game

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm, perhaps it's tied to some other setting, it's a fairly generic service after all so it's probably called for multiple functions in the software.
    (Steam, UPlay and Battle.net all have similar services whether it's for the client, updater or some helper service for online integration.)

Either way your method works too, also prevents it from starting up whenever the software wants to update. :)

EDIT: Well Origin has a ways to go, that issue with some of the settings occasionally resetting still isn't fully resolved and it's only been going for a bit over a year or so now with the community manager occasionally re-assuring that it's still being looked into. :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017