Nvidia 'Maxwell' GTX 870 Specs Leak/Performance Benchmarked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Pretty much this.

If the specs are accurate I actually can't even seeing it being better then 780Ti even overclocked. Look at the 750Ti vs the 650Ti Boost. With a small shader increase the 650Ti Boost beats the 750Ti even when it's fairly overclocked.

The difference between the 880 and the 780Ti according to these specs are 1000 cores. There is no way an clock increase is going to close that gap. If the TDP was higher I'd say maybe, but it's clear that they moved that 35% performance per watt increase into power savings.

Wait till 20nm.

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well i know my statemets are off topic but...
    the 750ti is a better card then the 650ti pixel rate is 10% higher and 60w to the 650's 120w...if i remember correctly.
    Soooooooooooo if we look to the past its sorta like the 8800gtx as to the 9800gtx.lesser spec's cheaper and right about the same performance + the 9800gtx overclocked pretty decent and was cooler.
    So it might not beat the world but should fit in somewhere...really thuo who knows till retail.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Or people that think GK104 aka 680GTX was a high-end chip even more delusional.

4. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    I only need this new card for the Witcher 3 and the Division on a G-Sync monitor on 1080p@ 80FPS+...I don`t care about higher res. coz is not for me,I sit too close to my screen to use a a 1440p+ monitor.
    I use to be an enthusiasts user until I realize that almost all games on the market are consoles ports on bad optimization(BF4,Watch_Dogs,etc)...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Define high-end. Was the GK110 fully designed at that point? Obviously. Was it manufacturable? Obviously not. TSMC had major yield problems with GK104 till mid July and that probably continued at a lesser extent till August/September. Should they have delayed the 680 launch till those were taken care of? I don't know, I don't have access to Nvidia cashflow projections.

Honestly I don't care whether people consider the GTX680 high end. I just think people who say "Nvidia screwed us by not putting out the GK110 as the 680" are delusional. Not only because GK110 was unmanfuracturable at 680's launch but because 680 was roughly 20-30% faster then the 580, it had 30% reduced power and much better temperatures. The card was fine as evident of the number of people who purchased them.

6. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    We all know GK110 was the high-end chip, doesn't mean it was ready to be manufactured for the masses at the time.
    Same thing is happening now because TSMC can't keep up with demand.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Thats a load of bs. On release the 680 was nvidias flagship card. On release the 680 was faster than a 7970. So that implies a 7970 was not high end either which is more bs.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Maybe you ---tk--- are BS'ing.

And yes 7970 wasnt high-end either, but they sold it like that because it was faster then 580gtx and 6970.. Nvidia followed the steeps.

In the end both companies ripped us off, and now NV is doing it again.

9. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Mobile..

"Mobile Maxwell in 20nm based on the upcoming Geforce 800 series will also come before the holiday shopping season. As far as we know 20nm GPUs from AMD won’t launch this year, but we could be wrong. It is too early to say for sure."

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Seriously? Did you even read what you quoted? It literally says "will ALSO come before holiday season". The title of the article is "20nm desktop chip is ready"

Maybe delusional isn't the word.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Wow you're so funny, not.

13. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    Also is the key word.

14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC

It says Mobile Maxwell will appear before the holiday season, it makes no claims about anything else.

I'd be very surprised if they are going to release the 870/880 in September and follow that with something significantly faster in late October/early November.

It's not impossible but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

My guess is that we will get 870/880 in September/October (actual shipping), Titan 2 in March 2015 and 885 (I'm guessing on labelling here) in May/June 2015.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes mobile 800 series will also come this year in 20nm, nowhere does it say desktop will be 20nm too.. Only that nv now thinks 20nm makes sense and it should be doable with full high-end desktop gpu in Q3 2015.

Or my Eng sucks and I cant read properly, sorry for that then.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What are you talking about? The title of the article is "20nm desktop chip is ready". I don't believe it is and I think the article is useless speculation but thats the title of the article. It then goes into Kepler vs Maxwell and talks about desktop cards and getting 20nm in a good position.

Then at the end it says that mobile maxwell is ALSO ready. Also, in this context, means that the 20nm mobile maxwell parts along with desktop maxwell which is what the title/first paragraph is about will both be ready.

Am I crazy or does of the title article say "20nm desktop chip is ready" in giant bold extra font size letters.

Like how is this even being debated. It literally says it on top of the screen.

[​IMG]

Again I don't think this is true but that's what the article says.

17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It says it's 'ready' (whatever the hell that means), it does not make any claims as to when it is shipping and I reiterate that I doubt it will be this year.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Again I think the article is speculation on part of the author which is clear by the way it's worded but..

It says on top "Nvidia Maxwell Geforce 800 comes in September"

Then it says "20nm desktop chip is ready"

Basic reading comprehension would leave me to believe that the secondary title is referring/related to the first one, which is standard in printed news articles.

Thus the author is implying that a 20nm Geforce 800 will be out in September.

Further he goes on to say "Mobile Maxwell in 20nm based on the upcoming Geforce 800 series will also come before the holiday shopping season."

Here is uses the word also which implies that the initial topic of the article (20nm Maxwell 800 series) would come before the holiday shopping season as well.

Anyway this is the last time I'm explaining this.

19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Don't get me wrong, I see how you are getting there. The article is ambiguously written (possibly intentionally so).

I think the author should have been a lot clearer if that is what he is trying to imply.

There isn't much point in arguing about it, as I said, I can see why you are interpreting it that way.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The author is probably some random nobody honestly. Like he just speculates its ready and that it will be announced before Q3 earnings. It's written like he has no evidence or leak or anything to back his argument.

I mean personally I think Nvidia would do a refresh of the 780Ti at some point in 20nm maxwell. I don't think it's ready.

When these leaks first started coming out, I kinda figured that they were actually a 870/860 and that maybe Nvidia would save 20nm to a $750 880GTX. I mean if Nvidia put 2880 streaming processors on Maxwell arch with a 384bit - 6GB of ram @ 20nm I'd buy it in a heart beat -- even at $700-750. But all evidence from both AMD/Nvidia points that 20nm isn't going to be a thing in 2014. And I don't think a 28nm Maxwell 780ti variant would have enough bang to convince kepler 780Ti people to buy it.

And so we wait.