Nvidia has high hopes for Fermi

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Risco, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    And unless they rework the architecture, it won't be any better then the 1st gen and the 1st gen Dx11 nvidia tech will pwn that too.

2. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    mmmm

we'll have to wait until next year to know if this is really the case or it's just another improved version

3. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    uh isn't an architecture rework what the link says?

However, lets assume the 6xxx is just a die shrink and a doubling down of performance. Nvidia would have to bring to market a card with roughly a 300% increase in performance over their current GTX 285 card and price it at $350 to even compete with that prediction of ATI performance.

Unless nvidia can quadruple gtx 285 performance with fermi OR ati delays its 6xxx series I don't think nvidia will have the top card christmas 2010.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I don't think ATi can really compete for so many years by basing what is essentially the R600 architecture. ATi hasn't made an overhaul since their first DX10 GPUs.

deltatux

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    we have to see the benchies when the time comes before that everything is speculation.

6. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I agree, I hope to see benchmarks come from CES on the 7th, but if they don't fermi will be a running joke for years to come, unless it is absolutely insane when it does arrive

7. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Assuming the highest-end, single GPU, GeForce card ends up with 512 "CUDA cores" and that clocks remain roughly at the current level that seems to be a fair estimate.

The 5870 is basically a double 4890 and performs about 60% better. With 113% more "CUDA cores" than the current high-end GeForce 285 it'd be reasonable to assume that the GeForce "380" would offer performance some 60-70% over it.

Which naturally lends itself to being faster than the AMD offerings, by about the same token as the 285 were over the 4890.

Of course we don't know the impact of any architectual changes but I'm willing to bet that those will be very minor in comparison to the massive increase in "CUDA cores".

All in all it seems a fair bet, though it's unseen whether or not nVidia will be able to price their offering competitively as well.
    I sincerely hope you're joking or we can consider your 'I'm not a fanboy'-pleas shot to hell once and for all.

8. chris

chris Guest

GPU:
    GTX460
    I wonder what navidia,s answer to eyefinity will be,if any

9. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Do you honestly care about that tech?, I don't care about eyefinity or 3d gaming, but it's possible that one day 3d gaming may interest me, but having 3 separate screens with ugly ass screen borders between? :S, i'd rather buy one of those rediculously overpriced curved monitors instead.

10. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    ^I think eyefinitys a great feature and should become standard.

11. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    just accept the fact that ATI nailed the DX 11 technology before nVIDIA like they did with DX 9.
    But fear not, maybe nVIDIA will nail the DX 12 technology in 3 years

12. chris

chris Guest

GPU:
    GTX460
    I just feel that ATI is in a good position at the moment,anyone looking for a GPU upgrade now will have to opt for the red team,quite senseless buying a dx10 card at the moment

13. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Even i have high hopes on fermi. I hope i'm not dissapointed.

14. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    and at the same time neither has nvidia..atleast not until fermi is released..
    g80 - g92 - g200 all the same arch..rv600/700/800 same arch
    fermi will be new arch and so will rv900...and about the same time as the new archs were debuted...g80 then late to the party r600..fermi soon and rv900 right after that..the gap is closing simply because nvidia is late to their own party this go around.

@dcalf10..i do care about eyefinity much more then physx and 3d
    so imo if the two cards compete..even if ati is a little slower..i would opt for the eyefinity(itd probably be priced according to the difference in power as well)so unless nvidia simply BLOWS away ati..id go with ati just for eyefinity..i think gaming with 3 screens looks amazing and cant wait til i get 2 more 24"s(and an eyefinity card of course)

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'll believe it when I see it.

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i hope so, im still on neutral ground on what to get next, but to tell the truth im kinda leaning towards nv..

zomg 4k posts :p :nerd: :D

17. chris

chris Guest

GPU:
    GTX460
    You little post whore you :)

18. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    For some reason I still don't care, maybe due to the fact my 2 cards still do very well at any current game I throw at them. Maybe once I really feel the need to upgrade I will.

19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

:cheers: lol

20. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Of course they will, in March/April, the 58x0 series will be 8 months old at that stage, even if its not until July its still a huge lead over Nvidia and no i wasnt talking about the numerous cards theyre releasing in feb/march.

At the end of the day, who really cares? i was hard pushed to upgrade from my Nvidia 260 to this 5850 and the PC gaming scene is hardly pushing our cards at the moment