NVIDIA: GeForce RTX 2070 Available October 17th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    This is what happens when there is no competition in graphics (or anything). Prices rise because there is no alternative at current performance/price ratio.

Either AMD needs to do a rework of their GPU architecture like they did for their CPU architecture (big credit to Jim Keller), or we have to wait until we see if Intel's entrance into high-end graphics will create a second competitor.

Still waiting for 4k 120hz displays and HDMI 2.1 AV receivers to start selling (and graphics cards that come with the connection).

tensai28 likes this.
  2. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Let these rot on the green guys. Every gamer with a little brain should do so.

The problem is not the performance jump, but the ridiculous price jump.... Check the benchmarks from today back to the 7xx-9xx change. You got a bit more performance jump there for 50$ LESS with the 9xx. Now you get a bit less performance increase for 100-150$ (2070, 2080) and 400 or even 600$ MORE! (2080Ti). That is what's really disappointing. If you got about the same performance increase as the 700-900 for the same price as the Pascal equivalents or maybe 50$ more, I would say "OK". But this is just pathetic. And I don't care about Tensor cores and RT if the 1100-1200$ 2080Ti can't even run it with fix 60 fps on FHD (Shadow of the Tomb Raider Nvidia demo in 30ish territory, Battlefield V developers announced they would reduce the effect of RTX to get stable fps, Metro developers promise Metro will run 60 fps on FHD, wtf....).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  3. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    Looking to buy a used 1080ti myself. I don't care if it was used for mining. It can't be old. No way in $%^$ I'm paying what they are asking.

4. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    Right. The xx60 models are going back down to the low end like the crappy gtx 760 and 960. The 1060 was a bit too midrange and adequate like the 970 was.

Nvidia won't be having that any more so now the midrange is the price of the previous high end and the low end is just barely affordable. The low, low-end xx50 series is still there to make fun of poor people, but will increase in cost as well relative to the previous gen, so save those pennies!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

5. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    Yeah, if buying new then it makes no sense to get a 1080 vs 1080 ti if it's only around $150 more expensive. Consider that you'll likely be using this card for a couple years minimum, and it's like the cost of a 2-3 games extra to get the TI. Big whoop, I'd take the extra performance over that 2 year period.

I got a 1080 used for $350 though, so I am quite content. The 970 was nice but I really appreciate the performance bump on the 1080. I love that 4x Sparse grid supersampling in Assetto Corsa

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    wouldnt this work in favor of AMDs gpu business? they could get more funding now that they can point at all the damn profits they can get now that nvidia has doubled prices for high end stuff since 900 series

plan is simple: bruteforce a win, make a gpu as big as nvidia makes them now(RT & AI cores included) but make it ALL stream cores, shrink to 7nm, done

in all likelihood it might come stock with four 8pin PEG connectors, but it will get that sweet 4k120fps market, nvidia's raytracing propaganda be dammed

Duke Nil likes this.
  7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    funny how ppl keep "whining" about price increase on the gpu side, but are still fine with intels crap (similar price increases and all the security issues/performance (on patched rigs), just because they get 2fps more at FHD.. :rolleyes:

no one gets forced to buy anything, and any computer parts above the bare minimum (e.g. to be able to use the internet/browser) is still a WANT, not a NEED.
    nor is it Nvs fault/problem that there isnt anyone else on the market, and any other (capital oriented) business would do the same, as they arent a NPO.

part of the problem (outside mining etc) is "us" by buying new crap every time it gets out (x70/80/ti), even that the existing unit would still do fine for a bit longer.
    myself included, as i would have gotten a RTX, if they had increased vram on non tis (need +9gb to do 4K (even in dsr).

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    So much salt in this thread.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    For a good reason.

10. B-linq

B-linq Member

GPU:
    nvidia 1080ti
    How can you blame AMD for this? What twisted logic is that? Even If AMD would have released new competitive card, lots of people would still go and buy Nvidia card. Been happening all the time.
    So why bother, they can focus on console, professionals and mid tier graphic where they have guaranteed consumption.

You can see same story in the CPU market. AMD is more than competitive now but people still go for intel.

These crybabies "AMD should release new cards so I can buy Nvidia card cheaper" boils my blood.
    (i have PC with intel and Nvidia AND pure AMD rig)
    Sorry for my English but I had to react :)

AlmondMan likes this.

11. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    rtx 2070 is a low end card tu106 tu104 is midrange tu102 is highend so we paying 600 for a lowend :(

12. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    gtx 1080ti going for 580 pounds on overclockers uk :)

13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    except for the bling factor (and those cards are blingin'), there is no need to buy any RTX cards.
    this is entirely cynical on the part of Nvidia due to the realities of the market. crypto was the factor as the market was saturated with 10xx, with crypto giving the illusion of scarcity (after real scarcity).
    what to do what to do what to do... we're talking a huge hit to the bottom line in a stock market focused on short term gain - that's just reality. so to shore up the stockholders and keep that "buy" recommendation from analysts, while being boxed out of all the latest manufacturing processes, RT was moved up the pipeline.
    RT was designed for a smaller process as it involves additional cores. this is far more easily done when you are not risking as much real estate on the wafer as Nvidia has ended up doing. this has lowered yield and raised prices.
    simple business and simple logic

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, if someone does not have direct need to buy new GPU, I would advise to wait it up. It will settle somehow, and then one can make informed decision.
    At this time one can make only predictive bet. Buying GTX card which does have great rasterization at acceptable price is bet that good raytracing is not going to be here for long time or games will not perform to persons liking.
    Buying RTX card is bet on raytracing as cards are kind of expensive if used "just" for rasterization.

Buying GTX card today is bet against success of RTX. I am kind of happy that I do not shop at nVidia's side of fence.

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    seems like 1080 gonna stomp this pile of overpriced junk, and along with the 1080ti, they gonna be the only cards that gonna sell out very fast.

Those turing cards seems worse day by day...

16. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Even if RTX is successful I wouldn't want an RTX card right now, they're shooting for 60fps at 1080p on the 2080Ti and I'm shooting for 120fps at 3440x1440. If you actually want the RTX features it's still better to wait for the next gen on 7nm because by then the games will actually be out and the cards will be powerful enough to run them at reasonable resolutions and/or framerates.

I'm not buying a $1200 card in 2018 to play games at the same resolution as I did in 2008 for less money. Actually a lower resolution because even then I had 1920x1200.

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Same, hehe staying with mine 980TI and going to multi vacations in two weeks :), much better value than any PC part .

DeskStar likes this.
  18. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I've got it..... NVidias pricing is accounting for the new tariffs put into place.

They're just ahead of the proverbial pricing curve is all....

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... And people scoffed when I bought four TITANs.

19. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Already did the same here. Took a nice three week vacation right on the ocean before the crazy weather cropped up...

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    That's awesome :), have yet to decide where to go, but since i'm a hobbist photogrpaher(rocking Nikon D850), i might go to... JAPAN :)

DeskStar likes this.