Network problem in windows 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Moonkin, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Moonkin

Moonkin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Hello! I just reinstalled my systemdrive, im running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

When windows have loaded up, i get a "loading" screen at the systray on the network icon, and my live messenger refuses to login, its like i don't have an active connection to the internet. The thing is tho, Firefox, Skype and IRC are working fine. But it take over 1 minute for live messenger to start, and i usually have to reconnect to it manually.

Have any of you had this experience?

I might have done a misstake when i dowloaded Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet drivers from windows update.

Is there any way to remove them afterwards? I sure havent found any way tho.

2. Moonkin

Moonkin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Bump :p

Did i explain this problem very stupid or what? Maybe i can fraps it for you, if you wanna see it with your own eyes.

3. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    you want to remove the ethernet driver?

just go to device manager, right click on your ethernet adapter, select uninstall and check the delete drivers box, restart and you are done.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Sounds to me it's taking too long to get an IP address or identify the connection.

Look at your IP address, Subnet Mask and Gateway, and enter those manually.

Then enter different DNS servers such as google which is 8.8.8.8 & 4.4.4.4 or OpenDNS servers which are 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220

Then see how you go.

5. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    the second googledns server is 8.8.4.4

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Ah yea, my bad.

4.4.4.4 is a root DNS server.

I got too many DNS server IP's floating around in my head I need to remember.
    Close :p

I generally use OpenDNS, on the sole principal that Google doesn't need what else you're searching for. Because DNS will give them ALL the information with whatever you do on the Internet and sites you visit, not just what you type in Google.

But that's me ;)

7. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    yeah I thought in that too, but since OpenDNS kept crashing my Belkin router on some websites (weird huh?) I had to jump to the GoogleDNS wagon.

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I really don't see how OpenDNS, or any DNS server for that matter could crash your Router.

It just hands back data.

9. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    I know, I was like WTF? but maybe is a problem with the router itself because my ISP's DNS worked perfectly fine with my old Linksys but then I switched to a Belkin N150 and i had problems in general with the internet, sites wouldn't load I had to reload them a few times in order to get everything loaded (images, flash content, etc) then I change my DNS to OpenDNS and it was like day and night, everything was working at light speed like before with the exception of a few sites that made my router crash and I had to restart it manually but since I started using GoogleDNS the router doesn't crash anymore.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Generally I found out that Windows Update drivers tends to royally f**k your system up. The Windows Update driver for my Atheros L1 Gigabit adapter causes my computer to lock up if you're transferring files through Windows File Sharing (SMB). The D-Link WDA2320 Wireless G Adapter on Windows Update doesn't sustain wireless connections and makes the LEDs flash funny. The Windows Update driver for my ATi TVWonder 650 USB causes this high pitch whaling sound whenever the background is white or very brightly coloured. The latest AMD driver for it resolves the issue.

For all my drivers, I tend to just say screw it and download it directly from manufacturer.

deltatux

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I use my my gateway I.P. as my DNS server - should I be using something else instead?

12. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    Well if you're not having problems with your current config I don't see the need to change it but there's no harm in trying you know, maybe you'll find OpenDNS or GoogleDNS faster than your ISP's.

13. Mooshan

Mooshan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor 1080
    Ive been having the same problem as the OP, i figured it was to do with my wireless router (have a netgear not sure what model).

Basically if the internet has been on during the day, and the wireless has been used frequently duing the day and I turn on my pc and login i get the same problem as the OP only way ive found so far to fix that is turn off and turn back on the router and let it reconnect.

You may find if you wait a while longer when its trying to obtain a connection/ip address it will eventually find one but just takes quite a bit longer than rebooting the router.