MSI Gets Hit By Theft, 2.2 Million Yuan Worth of MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Graphics Cards Stolen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    After seeing 6900XT reviews, I wouldn't be surprised it the "3080Ti" will get cancelled again... even if it won't, it will be just another unicorn.

2. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Well, the evidence of consumer video card prices getting out of hand is out there, the writing is on the wall.
    The thieves have slowed down hitting banks / armored cash delivery vehicles, and started hitting GPU delivery vehicles / warehouses.

While I would certainly love having 16gb or 24gb of video RAM (I couldn't use it all right away, but 12~16gb I sure could use most all of, 8gb is not enough) for means of content creation that's not enough to warrant spending THOUSANDS on a 'prosumer' or business-line GPU, I won't be paying over 600$ for it. I don't even like paying over 400$ for it, but if my old card dies and I don't have a decent spare, I will venture into that 400~600$ territory.

This is definitely getting out of hand, prices, availability, and so-forth. I'm really getting sick and tired of it, to the point that I don't even want to buy new games or a new GPU even if I need a new GPU because 8gb is not enough. I bought an 8gb 2070 Super a year ago exactly, and it's already obsolete with 8gb not being enough VRAM. I knew this going in, but I had little choice and Radeon VII prices were too much for such crash-tastic drivers at the time. It's just left a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm not playing the game anymore until prices and availability return to sane levels.

If I can buy AN ENTIRE ENGINE for my car for half the price a video card goes for new, or a whole complete running economy car for the same price as a new GPU, something's wrong - seriously wrong. I don't need it that bad. I'd rather sink the money into my house, buy undeveloped speculatory real estate, or stocks VS spending THAT MUCH on a depreciating investment.

It's just sickening anymore.
    Hopefully we get enough competition in this sector someday soon that will hopefully bring prices closer back to normal levels.

Valken, Gandul, Keno34 and 1 other person like this.
  3. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Electronics are getting hit by organized crime (or scalper groups, sort of the same thing, or even the same people). With the virus causing people to lose job and no one leaving their homes to buy drugs or get prostitutes, people in those businesses turn to scalping popular, new items.

Keitosha likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do agree. But look a bit into past. Look at digital cameras. Freaking CCD alone did cost more than those cards. It is big, it is not easy to produce without defects. It costs exponentially more.

5. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Re Gigabyte, I had a beautiful Gigabyte 4K AMOLED i7, 16GB memory, 2070 laptop in May (briefly) but the wi-fi card must have been faulty so after OOKLA tests of 0.3 - 3Mbps and installing new wi-fi drivers didn't improve wi-fi speeds, it was returned to the vendor. Bought the new Dell XPS 17 with 4K screen + 2060 instead which is fantastic (have a desktop for gaming). Have just bought a new gaming desktop with an ASUS Strix 3080 OC card but that's another story LOL

6. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    If these cards make it out to the public for sale by what ever means it will most likely result in legal sales; as long as there is a receipt or invoice provided it shields the buyer from any legal recourse. I could see web shops or retail locations buying these cheap and reselling them for higher than standard profit. If you buy one out of the trunk of a car then it is on you. If you send the card back for RMA and it ends up being one of the stolen ones then MSI has to either honor the warranty (receipt/invoice provided from a verified source; no fake ones made in Acrobat or word now) and repair the card or exchange the card for a legally obtained one. There are laws that protect customers from this type of think. I bought a laptop from a web shop here in the United States a few years back that was stolen and flagged as such. I RMA'ed it back to the manufacturer as it had a defect. They called and explained the situation and I provided the invoice from the web shop and they sent me a new laptop in place of the stolen one as they wanted the stolen one for the litigation. The web shop was found to be innocent of any wrong doing as the stolen laptop was inserted into the supply chain before it was shipped to the web shop. These 3090s could very well make it into the supply chain and sold as legal merchandise to customers. Anything you buy that has a high price tag from anywhere could potentially be stolen merchandise. Statistically it is low but it is there.

7. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Wayyyy too many weird sh*t happened around MSI the last 2 years... CEO suicide (was the ceo right?), factury burned, stolen gpus...

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    That took less than a minute to read and reply...no wonder people feel smitten.

I also corrected you're spoolinng

9. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    I could fit 2 pallets that size in my personal vehicle. You aren't going to fit them in a compact car, but a pickup or van could easily hold a lot more than were stolen.

10. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Thats because 3090 was not considered for gaming at first but 3D design, content creation, sciences and other things aside from gaming, where you really NEED that amount of VRAM.

Gandul likes this.

11. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Lol people saying 8 gb of vram gpus are "obsolete" just because theres some games which uses a little more than that. Remember gtx1060 3GB sold a lot and still very usable.

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I want to find who did it and get 15 grand then ask them for two unlocked 3060ti's
    I hate thieves

Dragam1337 and Fox2232 like this.
  13. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Anyone know where to buy one of these stolen cards?

Just so i can avoid it ofcourse....

[​IMG]

14. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    china?

15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Slowly but surely the pc gaming scene is loosing its nerdy image, we got the Triads on our side now boys!:D
    [​IMG]

16. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Probably stolen by a gang who plan to build a bitcoin mining farm. Either that or MSI are trying to scalp their own cards again. This time they will pretend that the scalpers aren't affiliated with them in any way shape or form. "Gangs did it, Officer. I swear!" :p

jura11, Valken and DannyD like this.
  17. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    Soooo, 200 RTX 3090s do exist... :p:p:p

H83 and DannyD like this.