MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Important note for those who use RTSS to display data from PresentMon data provider (or use standalone PresentMon beta overlay). Recently released v0.6 version of PresentMon overlay/service may report incorrect and abnormally high GPU busy value under certain conditions. Intel are investigating it, in meanwhile just roll back to v0.5 beta or simply remove Intel's PresentMon overlay beta to force RTSS to use bundled console version of PresentMon instead.

SanokKule and hitzz like this.
  2. MrBeer

MrBeer Member

GPU:
    --
    BF 2042 Season 6 with new EA Anticheat and RTSS "overlay" You are the man. Just tryed it Thank god you came up with this Could not do another day with nvidia overlay or gamebar.

Thanks

Unwinder likes this.
  3. Unwinder

Remnant II patch released on 26th Oct integrated Epic Games overlay into Steam version, so it may crash due to conflict of multiple overlays when RTSS is active. Good thing is that “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” did the same a few months ago and I added the fix for such delayed Steam + Epic games overlay injection pattern. So if you’re affected, just update to the latest public 7.3.5 beta 5, it should fix the crash.

Spyke8x, SpajdrEX and Astyanax like this.
  4. Unwinder

Found something pretty fishy on my system today. I noticed suspicious MSIAfterburner.sys file inside the application install folder, which is not a part of my original distributive. Initially I assumed that I got some malware, which tried to mimic MSI Afterburner, but after short investigation I nailed down the source of this suspicious driver: it was LibreHardwareMonitorAfteburnerPlugin, which I tested in the past as a part of quality control. It installs its own copy of WinRing0 this way.
    So if you notice similar driver on your system and if you use that plugin, don't trigger panic mode ;)

upload_2023-10-28_7-3-35.png

terry_bogard_sv, SanokKule and MDKpt like this.

5. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    RTSS also makes Alan Wake 2 crash, but only at the first start-up. What's up with that?

6. Unwinder

AW 2 is banned for purchase here. So I don’t care, Remedy will need to do quality control on their own.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    EGS shite most likely.

BoomSlang001 likes this.
  8. Unwinder

Unlikely. They also throw this message when non-overlay applications (like antiviruses or Logitech GHub) are running in background. Looks more like some protection layer of their authentication implementation, which dislikes either all types of third party hooks or (most likely) LoadLibrary hooks. If that's the case, using default low application detection level in RTSS (instead of High, which some users are still trying to enable globally) should fix that.
    But I can only guess without seeing the game myself.

[​IMG]

SanokKule likes this.
  9. Valkyrie743

Valkyrie743 Active Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 1080 FTW
    from what Kaldaien posted on his discord, the game has has some sort of check for third party overlays. i guess at first boot, the game forces epic launcher overlay for platform services to link the game to your epic account. guess it does this only once then once that's done, you dont have to worry about it after

he posted that this happens

guess remedy were very worried that people with third party overlay's running would prevent people from linking the game to their epic account so they went crazy and added some sort of check. he also posted that it seems that the check is tripping even when no other third party overlay is running. he bypassed this check with the latest nightly build of special k

a dev at remedy is active in his discord (Filippo Tarpini) and i think he is forwarding the issue (along with a separate issue regarding mouse judder with nvidia reflex) to remedy. so helpfully they will release a patch to solve this. i guess for now. to get around this. you just need to have the epic overlay enabled and have all third party overlays disabled at first launch. link the game to your epic account, then once that is done you can just re enable whatever overlays you use and should be good to go.

i already did the link to my account so i am unable to check if setting low application detection bypasses the issue.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  10. Unwinder

I've added the next portion of improvements to correction formulas syntax in addition to recently added conditional expressions support.
    Previously you could access each data source's statistics via local xmin/xavg/xmax/xswa variables only and such variables couldn't be accessed from other data sources. For example, to display min/max GPU temperatures, you needed to create two similar GPU temperature derived data sources and specify xmin and xmax inside the correction formulas. Those local variables will be deprecated in the next version, now you can use more robust functions for accessing each data source's statistics:

- statmin, statavg, statmax and statstd functions can be used to get global min/avg/max/std statistics for each data source and you can access it from other sources, e.g. you may use statavg("CPU power") + statavg("GPU1 power")) to calculate average CPU+GPU power consumption. Global statistics is collected during whole OverlayEditor's runtime session for synchronically polled sources only, for frametime and PresentMon's data sources it reflects the last 1024 samples only.
    - swmin, swavg, swmax and swstd functions can be used to get sliding window based min/avg/max/std statistics for each data source, for example you may use swavg("CPU power", 8) to smooth CPU power consumption graph by calculating average CPU power with sliding window by 8 last sampled CPU power values. Maximum sliding window size is limited by each data source's ring buffer size, it is 512 samples for the most of OverlayEditor's data sources and 1024 for internal frametime and PresentMon's data sources. You may specify sliding window size as 0 to use whole ring buffer.
    - percentile and percentilei functions can be used to calculate classic (linear) and integral percentiles on ring buffer contents, so you can use it to calculate 1%/0.1% low framerates on PresentMon's data or add you own percentile based metrics.

upload_2023-11-5_11-15-11.png

11. Unwinder

I cleaned the thread again and ask one more time to avoid using it for general questions. Please leave it for news only.

12. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Just got RX 7800 but voltage control/monitoring don't work. Is this user error or we need to wait you to add PCI DeviceID to supported hardware database :(

13. Unwinder

It is not in the database, MSI didn't request it to be added and AFAIK don't even sell such cards. So new update is not a priority and I cannot give you any ETA. It will be released when I have some spare time and _ABSOLUTELY_ nothing more important to do, at the moment I'm entirely focused on RTSS only.

14. FireGate_13

FireGate_13 Member

GPU:
    Twintech 9800GT
    I think I found a bug on RTSS.
    I setup HotkeyHandler to set a framerate limit to 59.9884
    but when I press the KeyCombo fps are limited to 59.0.
    If I set manually the framerate to a decimal,and then set with another combo the framerate to 60, the rtss limits my framerate to 0.0060.
    Can we fix it please?

15. Unwinder

No. It is intended to set integer framerate limit multiplier without altering currently set framerate limit divider.

16. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Thanks for clarification.

17. Unwinder

I've recorded small video for discussion in a different place, and I think it is useful to post it here too. It will give you better understanding of hybrid scanline sync mode when you use it in conjunction either with front edge sync framerate limiter mode (recommended) or with back edge sync framerate limiter mode.

"Just a small video demonstrating how different framerate limiting modes used in hybrid scanline sync configuration affect tearline stability and simulation-to-render latency.

- Front edge sync framerate limiter mode is used in the beginning. Such configuration favors tearline position stability. Expected simulation-to-render latency is close to 1 frame
    - Back edge sync framerate limiter mode is selected in the end. It drastically reduces simulation-to-render latency at cost of less stable and more jittery tearline position."

More details on setting up hybrid scanline sync mode can be found in this post.

18. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Hi. Seems latest paint updates on windows 11 trigger rivatuner.

Could you add mspaint.exe to exclusions?

Thanks.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Theres been a few reports of RTSS needing to be closed while enabling AMD Frame generaion on the first setup of the new Avatar game, citing this

[​IMG]

I imagine its another game you can't test because of restrictions, would
    HookDXGISwapChainReleaseDirect3D12 = 1 be a possible fix? Don't have the game myself.

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ran the game with RT/RTSS active just fine, didn't see any errors but don't remember if the FG was on or not at start (played the game with DLSS a bit so it was off).