Mouse DPi and game sensitivity

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by big ROBOT bill, Feb 20, 2021.

1. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    I play a lot of CoD Cold War and have been fiddling with my mouse aim. After always having my dpi at 800+ and game sens to 6 I have changed to 400 dpi and have put put the game mouse sensitivity to 9.8. I am astounded how much more accurate my aim is now, it's a pleasure to play

What do you guys do ?

2. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    The other way around.

DPI/CPI is actually a measure of precision, not of speed.

Most games start skipping too many pixels when in-game sensitivity is set too high, yet some games compensate for this with a smoothing algorithm.

When in-game, try moving the mouse as little as you can, and see how big (in pixels) the smallest possible movement is.

Best method in general is setting in-game sensitivity as low as possible, and then compensate for the lack of speed by increasing your DPI/CPI.

cerebus23, chr!s and big ROBOT bill like this.
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Since you halved the DPI but didn't double the in-game sensitivity, then it's safe to say your improved aiming has nothing to do with DPI but is simply the result of a lower overall sensitivity.

In other words, you can leave DPI at 800 but set in-game sensitivity to 5 or 4.something and get the same result.

4. big ROBOT bill

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    Most interesting, I guess I was lucky and found a sweet spot for me, the mouse and the game.
    I have had a test of combinations
    dpi 400 in game 10
    dpi 800 in game 5
    dpi1600 in game 2.5

they all worked much the same but the high dpi low sens was smoothest, I find it much easier to get head shots now :)

XX

Pixel jumps - Are you missing pixels? - YouTube

CrunchyBiscuit likes this.

5. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    For years I was on 400 DPI with (i'll use BFV for example) 10 in game.

I got a bit tired of the full arm swing I had to do to turn around, so I jumped to 1200DPI with the same in game. It feels a more snappier to me with not decrease in accuracy for me at least.

Also makes use the cursor in windows easier without have to move my arm so much. I don't really like using DPI swtiching options on my mouse, just keep it one DPI to use both in game and out.

So far I've been using 1200 for over a month and it's working out well. Get quicker kills as I snap faster on the enemy and with the low setting in game I can still keep accuracy whilest amining.

6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Unless CoD has a non linear DPI slider (a lot of games do this nowadays), you're using lower sensitivity than before. Either way I recon you needed more stability when aiming and either a slightly lower sensitivity or dpi is helping you with that.

Higher DPI will also pick more errors that you make with your hand. You won't see a lot of good players use much more than 1600 dpi, not to mention past 1600 dpi sensors often start applying more processing.

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  7. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    A DPI of 1600 seems very sensible to me. Nice explanation in the video too! There are still many common misconceptions around DPI/sensitivity, so I recommend everybody to watch that one.

I often stick to around 1600-1800 as well, depending on the game's sensitivity setting and flexibility. Any higher and movement starts getting erratic (which depends on the type and quality of the sensor and the graininess of the mouse pad/surface), so there's a certain "sweet spot" indeed.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  8. big ROBOT bill

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    Can anyone recommend a simple mouse accuracy/game/test program I can test settings with

9. big ROBOT bill

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    Somewhere I read that 1200 dpi is the sweet spot or 1080 high monitors...

10. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Yes, I've heard that too which is why I tried it. It seems to be a 'high, but not too high" feeling if that makes any sense.

11. big ROBOT bill

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    I too had a try, but it was a bit too fast, plus my wife uses this computer so I would have to re set the dpi after every use, yes I know it's only a button click, but you do have to remember the button click :)

12. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Which is exactly why I disabled the DPI buttons on my mouse through the software. It's a great feature, but there is nothing more infuriating than a sudden DPI shift because of accidentle hand placement when aiming at an enemy.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
  14. big ROBOT bill

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
  15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I use 2200 as a base in Windows and depending on the game i lower this.

16. chr!s

chr!s Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX™ 3080 TI
    Some games have weird results with a high DPI, e.g. DOOM 2016/Eternal, in the menus mouse very sensitive, in-game it's fine.

17. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i find higher DPI, lowest in-game sens as you can go, combined with a comfortable to-your-hand modern wireless mice - the ideal scenario for playing competitive games.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's a bummer some retro games don't play well with low DPI or even it's own ingame setting low.

For some games this results in no cursor movement when moving the mouse slowly.

I guess some old games prefer optical or ball.

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    That's normal. Usually because sensitivity slider is designed to only impact ingame sensitivity. They would have to add another sensitivity slider for the menu's. The menu's are a 2D plane in which you maneuver, ingame is a 3D camera with a XYZ axis.

20. big ROBOT bill

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    For quite a while now I have DPI at 1600 and ingame sens at 2.3 (Call of Duty Vanguard MP), works pretty well, 3440x1440 monitor