Microsoft promises stronger focus on PC gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Sustaining a system which is fundamentally flawed, is a false economy.

I want a new design of computer, with a new OS - you'd think with all the billions M$ has they could do this...but no, they'd rather stunt the growth of home & office computing by incrementally adding features to a system which can't sustain it.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The guy they hired from Valve last year left MS already. Their PC gaming is restricted to rubbish apps for the Windows Store. If we're "lucky" we may get old Halo games for those nostalgic for whatever reason.

3. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    If they could just make their new software at least marketable to my friends I'd appreciate.
    How the hell am I supposed to tell my friends not to buy a god damned tablet to replace their PC, if M$ can't pull their heads outside of their own orifices.
    Seriously I've had windows 8 for a week now and I just want to snap the DVD in half (I don't have one).

My job revolves around microsoft networks, we just implemented win7 on every machine. And guess what, for sure we will not even install it(win8) a single time. The new desktops (HP) are coming in with Windows 8 licenses, well they can shove it! /rant

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    thanks Obama.

5. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yep, definitely heard of Mantle! It's a good thing for AMD users, especially if they have poor CPUs. I can see it increasing the cost of developing games though, which is not a good thing. I suppose the good thing about DirectX is that is from a third party, and an API that both teams support, I think Microsoft have dragged their heels on it a bit though - I think they could have made more of it. And I still don't like Microsoft's approach of only offering the latest DirectX on the latest operating systems. (I don't think all these new Windows operating systems are a big deal anyway, to me they all work the same with face lifts, and just the new versions of DirectX - just seems like pure marketing over content & performance to me).

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    With Windows 7 preinstalled, since some of the mission critical software (even MS new and own software) doesn't run to well on Windows 8/8.1
    Our IT management runs Windows 8 without issues, but developers can't use it to code server specific applications, to many safety restrictions build in, disabling them just breaks things.

For PC gaming it works out fine thou, why care if MS themselves publishes titles when a lot of others release plenty of great games for the PC?

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    "Last August, Microsoft snagged away Jason Holtman, the former head of Steam business development at Valve, to make Windows "a great platform for gaming"."

Poor Jason Holtman

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I see... so does this mean I will be able to install my Resident Evil 5 on my PC again and actually be able to use it...

I'm guessing no I will not. Why? Games For Windows Live... that's why.. and the fact that when I played some of it the first time it was "Activated" on a Windows Vista machine... now that I have upgraded to Windows 8... Even if Games for Windows Live returned I would not be able to install my game because it will no longer activate due to reaching it's "activation limit" which is a Microsoft Marketing Term for you activated it on another OS and if you want to play it on a new OS you will have to buy the game again or not play it.

The same goes for Halo 2 Vista... which I did play, and I do like.. I spent about 4 months the first time they cut me out from being able to play it when I was stupid enough to think that upgrading to Windows 7 and then Installing Halo 2 Vista on Windows 7 was actually a good idea.. NO IT WAS NOT.. So.. 4 months later, lots of phone calls, me sending photographs of my game case, product key, game CD and all my Halo Figurines lined up next to it all to show I AM A FIKJHSDRGKKING HUGE HALO FAN and they finally send me a new product key...

Only to announce they are shutting down Halo 2 Vista servers a few months later.

Thanks Microsoft... You are so awesome... and stuff..

I'm just going to stop writing because I could honestly write a book on how sh1t Microsoft is in regards to PC gaming.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Does anybody really care what MS think? They aren't even relevant when it comes to the gaming industry except for providing a platform.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  10. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    For a company that pushes gaming technology forward with DirectX, they really have a bad history about actually supporting games. In their "infinite" wisdom, they might even bring back a GFWL thing.

Frankly, the way they've handled the PC market tells me nothing other than they bank on their Xbox platform and really only care about that... and making sure most games are DirectX to support Windows sales/ piracy/ usage/ market share/ etc.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

Use Tunggle if your tstill into playing Halo 2 on PC, very few dick heads in there due to it being a a small community by todays standards. Well worth it, dont need a CD key either, just install you game, then do what i do with pretty much all my games - Copy and paste the installed game onto a usb or spare HDD, saves you needing to re-install you games later, just drag n drop. Though not all games will work like (FC1, ive discovered) FC 2 does though

*Hops in DeLorean and pisses of back to play something oldschool*

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    lol, really? They'll just say anything won't they. The whole GFWL thing was being marketed like crazy initially then fell flat like they never cared to begin with and didn't take it anywhere other than offer us 360 gamepads to use and some DRM.

Theres likely just one thing behind all this....SteamOS

13. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    That was awesome. i am saving that.

And i've heard this line before from MS. Infact they have done nothing but slow down the progression and forced people down the xbox path.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^This was priceless. :D

15. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    Nicely said

Very nicely said there Dictator93
    with some real atitude +10:banana:

16. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Windows 8.1 updated locked USB (Mouse) polling rate to 125hz. You can install a fix and make a registry mod to get back 1000hz for your gaming mouse but this lack of thought just shows how little MS care about PC gaming at the moment.

Given their low standards, it shouldn't be hard to improve on things but we all know what a load of BS munchers they are.

I give MS 50% chance of arresting the advance of Linux and new APIs such as Mantle. I think they might just be too slow and bloated to come back from here.

17. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    so even though my razer is set at 1k polling it's really running at 125?
    I did try the game lag fix Microsoft put out a while back but it wouldn't install so I guess I have the fix?
    -or am I gonna need to scavenge the web to find this tweak?

18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Yes, unless something has been fixed VERY recently then you need to follow the instructions here:

http://www.blurbusters.com/systemwide-fix-win81-mouse-fludiity/

afaik, your mouse wont work properly unless you do the regedit. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

19. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    i'll check it out for sure, when I tried the Microsoft game lag fix (the application) first I was on preview, now i'm on pro and boith instances they've not worked. so if it's gonna work then I guess reg-edit is the way to go.

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    what is this suppose to mean. i mean a 4770K cpu and a 780 GPu with 16Gbs of ram..need a focus on Windows platform? or i see this topic from wrong angle?