Microsoft Key : Reactivation Required ??

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Doomster, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Has anyone using Windows XP (Home or Pro Editions), Windows Server Edition(s) or Windows Media Edition, received a voluntary Registration renewal of a Licensed Edition of the above Microsoft created software?

I just received a reactivation notice from Microsoft to activate my license key because of a hardware change that was made. The only thing I have changed was my wireless connection and upgraded my videocard in the past year.
    I had to give Microsoft my new address (required) and then I tried to connect directly over the internet which didn't work because I use Firefox. I then had to phone a given toll free number and contact the automated operator and voice the posted new activation code. Now my OLD Windows XP is verified and legit, according to Microsoft, and Microsoft has my address and email (required) up-to-date. Does this not sound like another ploy by Microsoft to dominate the software developing industry. I am so p'd off at Microsoft , for once again , interfering with my life. Please post your opinions, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    No, that's how it works on an OEM copy when you change the hardware.

I am assuming it's an OEM copy because retail copies don't do that.

3. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    Windows XP generates a counter and compares it with the activation "counted" number token. Microsoft permits a number of changes before requesting your to re-activate. It is normal and can even happen when you change / update drivers.

OEM versions are usually forced to use the "activate by phone.." method after the first Internet activation. This is in response to the problems that the Product Activation was getting because people were purchasing branded OEM versions without the qualified hardware (usually purchased thru eBay.)

4. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Microsoft Conspiracy

Yes it is an OEM but is the Full install version of Windows XP Pro but Microsoft did give me the opportunity to connect to the internet but that was disabled by Microsoft . After the Microsoft Endorsed Key Reactivation, I had to reinstall the following software because Microsoft completely removed and disabled my "Add/Remove Program" utility in Control Panel (Actually uninstalled it !!!) and I lost my Firewall, Antivirus, Sound and I can no longer install new programs that will change my System settings, eventhough, I have Administration rights (I thought). This was taken away from me. If I install anything new, I only have basic "Limited" user rights. I have documented every restrictive warning pop-up that Microsoft has issued and this is an invasion of personal rights. Lucky, I had another User Name with Administrative rights and that profile remained untouched. I was able to reinstall my Antivirus and Firewall and reconfigure my Network Adapter.
    My Old User Name still states that I have Admin. rights but I don't anymore !
    I was alerted of reactivation, when my Registry Correction Utility reported several errors of missing or invalid references. (Due to a bug infested Registry System and sloppy Microsoft programming)
    I have been asked before (three years ago), for Reactivation because of hardware changes but this is the first time for software. Microsoft had me give them my Address, Phone Number, and email address in order to reactivate and continue to the next page of Activation. Then I was only given 3 days to Reactivate (Key).
    Conspiracy and Microsoft's plan to Dominate the World and blatant personal piracy right violations by Microsoft (Unfortunately, I can't take Microsoft or Bill Gates to Court, my one lawyer against their twelve). I will be changing to the Mac OS or Linux , in the future, I'm sick to death of Microsoft and it's policies. The Micro. Corp. is forcing you to comply and accept their rules (Licenses) and everything Microsoft endorced. If it hasn't been tested or endorced by Micro. Corp. than you take the chance of being shut down or become a Limited User.

I've learned, over the past 20 years of using Windows OS Versions, that Microsoft is still producing bug polluted versions, one after the other and will be coming out with the new Windows 7 OS soon. (Will this be bug-free, no)
    But this has nothing to do with the OEM version , I bought it because I don't need the packaging. Save the Earth and all. Thanks for your comments and any Windows Product Users beware, because the Microsoft Corporation knows everything about your computer when you connect to the www:biggun:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009

5. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Hate to say it but you should have found out the limitations of activation and uses when you bought an OEM version of Windows that was sold in the gray market. Like said above your reactivation was normal for an OEM version.

The part about MS disabling and removing software I've never heard of or seen before, even when MS detects a product as none genuine they give you 30 days to get it in order, and even after that everything stays intact, the software just becomes unusable till the problem is dealt with.