MASTER OC'rs Please Help a Newbie

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by jumbi15, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jumbi15

jumbi15 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 7900gt
    Hey everyone. i have never tried OCing and it intrigues me. I curently have 1 gig of kingston value pc3200 CL3. I wanted to know if its capable of OCing and basically how to do it. Can anyone walk me step by step how to OC my Ram?

This may take more time but i also dont know how to OC my Video Card or Processor. Both those are listed ----->

I am complete newb when it comes to bios (dont even know how to access it) so please be patient. Thanks everyone :)

2. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Ok, I've got a few points to address here, some of them helpful, others you won't want to hear.

First off, that Kingston CL3 RAM is not good for overclocking. You want something that is 2, maximum of 2.5 for any overclocking (and 2 really is the way to go). Corsair, OCZ, Crucial, and Kingston make some decent overclocking RAM, but it will cost more that than value stuff that you are currently running.

Secondly, I don't think anyone here is going to type out a whole guide on how to overclock your video card, processor, and RAM when there are already a lot of good guides out on the internet. I'd do a google search and look up how to overclock your processor, ram, and video card. You have to know a little bit before you just plunge into overclocking, and the best way to learn that is to read. Then, once you have the basics, you can start tweaking your computer with little chance of breaking anything. If you don't do sufficient reading, then the chances of you screwing up increase greatly.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but this is a REALLY broad question, something that would take pages to respond to. So, go out and read online about how to overclock. You will want to know . . .

-Video card overclocking (a program named coolbits can do this)
    -RAM timings
    -motherboard BIOS options and what they do
    -what components are known as good overclockers
    -FSB (front side bus) vs Multiplier (cpu overclocking)
    -How overclocking increases heat
    -heatsinks/different cooling technologies for various components
    -how voltages can increase overclocks, and how they can hurt your system
    -average overclocks for your motherboard/cpu/ram/video card to know if you are doing it right when you do overclock

those are just a few that I could think of off the top of my head. I don't even feel comfortable telling you how to get into your BIOS without you knowing these things.

When you want to overclock, you kind of have to build your system around it. Overclocking influences the kind of processor, motherboard, RAM, power supply, heatsink, and case fans that you purchase. However, you can overclock nearly any computer, so you don't HAVE to have really good components to overclock, but you won't get overclocks as high.

That said, when you read some stuff online, just come on back and post any specific question that you have and anyone here would be glad to help you out. So, till you get that reading done, see ya!