MAN! What a predicument! I need help! 7800 GS+ AGP or 7900 GT PCI-E?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Drunkenmasta, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Ok...here is my story for some of those who hasn't read up on the 7800 GS+ post...

My MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum mobo died recently, just as I was about to order my Gainward GeForce 7800 GS+ o.0 :bolt:

Now I'm thinking of going a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D nForce4 and getting an XFX GeForce 7900 GT.

I would get the 7800 GS+ (already pre-ordered for free from Nintek) but I'm thinking of PCI-E because I contacted MSI about the problem. They said they could fix the motherboard for $44 and I'd need to also pay for the postage there and back of course ($74 all up). They said they would either repair it, replace it with another or send back for free. (That's Australian $.$)

I was like cool but then I was wondering what would happen if it died again after a repair, more hassels. Or they can't replace the board and they would send it back.

At the moment I'm running a Gigabyte K8NSC nForce3 250gb and I HATE the board, it sucks dogs ballz :mad:

Should I make the jump to PCI-E with the DFI Lanparty Ultra-D nforce4? Or should I get the GS+ and risk the motherboard and trust MSI?

Thanks for your input!

pz out.

2. Fruitrience.hk

Fruitrience.hk Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 2900XT 512MB - Dell 2407FPW
    Jumping to PCI-E would make the most sense

3. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    with your situation i think pci-e is the way to go

4. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    definatly go the pci-express way , a 7900GT is faster than a 7800GS+ anyway

5. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    maybe not so much faster cause 7800gs+ is 7900gt :)

6. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    still, pci-e is the way to go.

7. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    That's right, that's why I was looking at the 7800 GS+ because it's 512 MB and it has a 7900 GT core.

I was thinking of going for a 7900 GT 512 MB rather than a 256 MB version. I heard the 256 MB versions tend to artifact more??? Mainly with OCing.

Also I would need to borrow my dad's monitor. I want 1600 x 1200, 1280 x 960 is ok but not like 1600 x 1200.

I wish XFX did a 512 MB version....only Gainward and Palit do a 512 MB 7900 GT as far as I know.

...and eVGA are $$$$ lol, nevertheless an awesome brand.

What you think? ;) 256 or 512? I will probably be using 1600 x 1200 res but no higher. I wanna buy a DVI CRT as well but later on :p.

PCI-E is looking good so far...

pz out

8. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    i havent seen comparisons between the 256 and 512 cards, so cant help you with that.
    i mainly wanted to say that you wont find a dvi crt.

9. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    If you can get the Gainward 7900 GT GS+, go for it. It's basically a GTX with a lower cost. All and all though, if you can afford the Gainward 7900 GTX, I'd go with that instead.

Pci-e cards are better because they have better bandwith than AGP. From what I hear, PCI-E 1x is 5 times better than AGP 8x, and while that's probably an overestimate, the Ultra-D can be modded to SLI and then you can get a bridge and SLI your cards.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  10. jiu-jitsuGOD

jiu-jitsuGOD Banned

GPU:
    quad sli8800GTX @826/2900 :) (H2o)
    pci-e without a doubt the scenerio you are speaking of just happen to me i went dfi ... and overclocked the piss out of my cpu for my SLI setup..bye bye bottleneck..DFI kicks ass

11. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    wrong!

12. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Yeah I have to agree with rogue, AGP is faster than PCI-E mainly because of latency from the larger amount of bandwidth. Just because it's a newer slot and it has more bandwidth, doesn't mean that AGP is slower and PCI-E is faster...

They did tests on the 6800 Ultra PCI-E and AGP versions. The AGP won by around 7-10% quicker than the PCI-E version because AGP is utilised more. However as newer boards/chipsets are developed they will be tuned to PCI-E more efficiently and this won't be an issue :).

Should I get 7900 GT 512MB ppl? What are Palit like vs Gainward?

I just hope it doesn't artifact after a lil OC :p.

pz out

13. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    well what i have been reading Palit and Gainward 512mb models are about the same, i saw somebody running gainward model @ 670/790 clcoks :)

14. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    ive got a PALIT 6660gt, its lasted me A LONG TIME no problems

also agp vs pcie
    its just no card, and i repeat NONE use anywhere near the bandwith for pcie let alone agp

i agree pcie will take over agp, but dont ever say pcie is better than agp

also i got a MSI K8T800 Pro and its pretty darn good

74 is to expensive to repair, (im in australia)
    just get the DFI

i suggest www.nintek.com.au

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  15. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    7800 GS+ and 7900 GT pretty much perform the same but the NF3 chipset has a rotten reputation so be it just for that you'd be better off with the NF4 PCIe board with the 7900 GT as long as you install an aftermarket cooler on the video card since it has none to speak of.

16. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    That was because the NV40 core is native AGP so they used a bridge chip to make it PCIe card, making it a little bit slower than the AGP version. Furthermore PCIe can communicate both ways at the same time while AGP can only transfer or receive one at a time, making PCIe more responsive than AGP. I think PCIe is the only way to go now if you don't want to upgrade your mobo when you upgrade your video card (still have to upgrade mobo when you upgrade your CPU though).

17. reactor88

reactor88 Active Member

GPU:
    2900 Pro 800/900
    id go with the 7900gt, the dfi board is much better and if you need/want to upgrade later it will be easier with pcie.

18. volcom

volcom Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX XXX 7900GTX @ 749/1927 VX2025VM
    its a perfect time to hop into pci-e. i would def forget agp.

19. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    go for PCIE and 7900GT you can do SLI in the future and 939 is a good choice ...

maybe AM2 :D

do not stick to AGP ... you will be sorry....

20. AngryAryan

AngryAryan Guest

I had the Gigabyte K8NS-Pro Nforce 3 250 and yes, it did suck a$$, and so it sits on my shelf. I went with DFI and i do not regret it at all. DFI's overclocking options are top notch, cant go wrong.