LSI Megaraid 9240-4i driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Acidrop, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Acidrop

Acidrop Guest

GPU:
    Onboard
    I've just bought a 9240-4i Megaraid card and no matter what I do, I cannot get the drivers to install correctly. I've tried the card in 4 different pc's running different Windows OS's and it just won't play ball.

Every time I install the drivers, it comes up with a Code 10 error.

The strange thing is, it won't even install the drivers for the respective OS. For instance, if I have the card in the Win7 machine, the Win7 drivers won't work at all, but the Windows server drivers install and come up with the error.

I've scoured the internet for answers and I can see many people have had this problem and that upgrading the card's firmware sorts out the issue. But how will I be able to do this if I can't find any pc where the drivers will install in the first place???

Please help!

2. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Flash the firmware via the DOS utility.

3. Acidrop

Acidrop Guest

GPU:
    Onboard
    Please say you've got instructions on this somewhere as I'm not that proficient in IT and might blow the thing up! :bang:

4. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Pretty straightforward, download the package and stick it on a bootable USB drive and follow the readme, I can probably dig out the instructions, but its no harder than a mainboard BIOS flash.

I've not had much experience of the 9240, but I have a lot of 9260 and 9280 cards in servers.

The last few 9260s wouldn't reliably take a windows install until I flashed them, the newer BBU (BBU08 I think or possibly 09) won't work without a flash either, I don't know if you have a BBU....

5. Acidrop

Acidrop Guest

GPU:
    Onboard
    Cheers Grunger!

Well I've made a dos bootable usb drive, but when I type the command line to flash the adapter, it says, "This program cannot be run in DOS mode". This is presumably MegaCli.

What am I doing wrong?

6. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    http://www.lsi.com/support/Pages/Do...ductcode=P00043&assettype=0&component=Storage Component&productfamily=RAID Controllers&productname=MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i

(You'll need to copy all of that ^ - the space is upsetting the URL )

I've just checked current FW -
    20.11.1-0135_SAS_2008_FW_Image_APP2.130.384-2166.zip

Extract this to your stick

You'll need the MegaCLI (Under management software) too which is 8.07.07_MegaCLI.zip

extract this, then take the MegaCLI.exe from the DOS folder to your stick

and then it should be

MegaCli -adpfwflash -f imr_fw.rom -a0

(Assuming you only have a single controller, otherwise -aX where X is the controller)

When you've got it running don't forget to install MSM and configure the email on failure/warnings

*And naturally you flash anything at your own risk!*

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  7. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    LSI uses 3 utilities to flash

Dos Flash throguh floppy/usb/or cd
    Web Browser Based through 127.0.0.1 Usually to Device using software utility from LSI
    Self Excutable Firmware/Bios Files if availible run from desktop

8. Acidrop

Acidrop Guest

GPU:
    Onboard
    Cheers for the help dudes. I managed to flash the unit successfully this morning. I used the Windows megacli by mistake instead of the Dos version. Doh!

Now the card is picking up the drives and I can access the webbios, which I couldn't do before.

The only problem remaining is the Windows drivers STILL won't install properly and I still get the Code 10 error message. :(

9. Acidrop

Acidrop Guest

GPU:
    Onboard
    Anyone? :(

Just to add, LSI support thinks the card might be faulty.

Not sure if this could be the case as it picks up the hdd's just fine and the firmware upgraded ok as well. As well as the drivers do install, but I get the Code 10 error message.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  10. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    Not to be a jerk or anything....

I tried a lsi raid card. It did not work and their tech could not make it work.

Lucky, I bought it from amazon.com and when told it does not work and lsi can't make it work, we agreed it was a bad card and they took it back for a full refund or credit.

I spent a lot more getting a acrea 1213-4i, but it worked right out of the box and their instructions worked flawlessly.

IMO, lsi is a poor company making poor products.

The problem is cheap products are not good and good products are not cheap.

I feel your pain, seriously.

11. Acidrop

Acidrop Guest

GPU:
    Onboard
    I've just got an RMA for this piece of **** card!!

My mate who recommended this card to me says LSI makes some of the best raid cards, and he's never had any problems with them, but that is NOT what I've found with my limited dealings with them.

And to say their support team is lacking is an understatement!

Can anyone recommend a slightly more user friendly card of similar spec that won't make me want to kill myself?