?installed vista on laptop but won't activate?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by YurAnus, Feb 21, 2011.

1. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    My buddy needed a fresh install of vista home premium on his laptop. I own vista ultimate retail. I installed vista and instead of activating it during the install I selected activate later and I chose windows home premium as the ver. to install. The install went great and after it was complete I went to activate it and I put in the home premium key that is on his laptop and it says that the key is invalid??? I have done this process before on other computers I own. I have done it on my laptop I am using right now and I did it on a dell optiplex my wife uses the only diff is the ver for both those keys are ultimate. Any ideas I hate to have my friend buy windows when his computer came with it?

> I told him to call microsoft to see if they could tell him why that key isn't working. Im not to hopefull that microsoft will be any help. I also told him to call Asus the manufacture of his laptop to see if they could just go ahead and send him a backup and restore disk for his machine. Its prob. out of warranty.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011