[HELP] Asus HD 7950 - Core frequency problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tmbt, Mar 8, 2014.

1. tmbt

tmbt Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5770 1GB
    I have an HD 7950 and two days ago I installed Afterburner to check if could overclock a little my card.
    The default core frequency is 925Mhz and the memory frequency is 1250Mhz.

BEFORE overclocking i decided to check my actual temperatures using the RivaTuner integrated in Afterburner.

Now here is my problem. I noticed that when my GPU usage goes to 100% the GPU core frequency jump down from 925Mhz to 800Mhz then when the GPU usage decrease for example to 50%-60% the GPU core frequency increase again and goes back to 925Mhz. Is that normal ?

2. Ripshod

Ripshod Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7950 FAN 3GB
    Power Limit. Use MSI afterburner to lock it to +20% and that'll stop. Use afterburner for the clocks and voltages too. Should easy hit 1100 (the limit without enabling the unofficial overclocking mode) on the core with the stock cooling, just keep an eye on the temps. May have to lift the volts a bit for this - I find my 7950 stable at 1100 with 1125mV.

I consider good temps being folding 100%, 75% fan, 70C. Benchmark/stress programs will raise it a fair bit more. I have seen 78C under stress, but we don't stress 24/7 do we?

I don't even install the stats server so I don't know how that would affect it tho

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  3. tmbt

tmbt Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5770 1GB
    Thanks to your suggestion i fixed my problem. Now i can focus on the overclock ! Thanks again.