HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti

Horizontal line or Line around the edges of the screen?

I didn't take any offense. I just greatly care about it and at a low resolution i'm sure I could get at least 30FPS with 4xSGSSAA in a modern Dx11 game at basically 720p.

Even if I couldn't. I Would be more than willing to hold off on playing the game until I get a new GPU. :D

2. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    Horizontal...

3. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    Turn on the AA Fix in Nvidia Inspector, works like a charm, but I wouldnt use the HBAO+ Flag. It bleeds through alpha effects, fog and gets applied to the skybox.

Edit: Also make sure you use 0x004412C1 not 0x000012C1. The latter will cause white outlines sometimes and other graphical glitches.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You mean 01F?

Pics plz.

It'd be great if someone tested more flags maybe then.

5. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    Yes talking about the 01F flag. Easily noticeable at the beginning of the game on top of the waterfall. The AO can be seen through the water. Also in majula AO gets applied to the skybox if you look carefully.

Edit: Pictures.
    First showing bleed. Second showing skybox AO, which is barely visible in the screenshot but very much in motion. Also the strenght of the skybox ao is dependend on the clouds("fog") postition as they're moving, so sometimes it's really very disturbing sometimes it's not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Yeah, that waterfall looks quite ugly.
    So much for PC Gamer and their testing "expertise".
    I bet they only tested "1F" indoors, and didn't even bother playing a couple full hours with HBAO+ enabled :bang:

Don't own the game yet myself, but in my experience are flags of the form "0x0000001X" much more prone to fogging issues than "0x0000002X" flags.

Maybe you should try "2F", "2D" or "26" instead?

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    After many frustrating hours of testing, troubleshooting, HBAO+ STILL isn't working correctly in Afterfall Insanity. All flags either have problems with fogging/applying too strongly/flickering or flicker on and off. :bang::bang:

For a long time many flags were crashing the game and I couldn't figure out why. I figured out that in "RascalEngine.ini" that the lines "ResX=,ResY=" Could NOT be changed from their defaults of 1280x1024 (even though you can set the resolution of the game in other files) or it would crash.

Problem is 0x0000002F still crashes. Even with a fresh/clean .ini file instead of a modified one it still crashes. And it's the only flag left that could potentially work. (And the only one that crashes now)

I've tested every flag at least twice (Plus every flag in the 0x0000003x and 4x range) However I did notice with one flag or two, that GPU usage isn't increased in the main menu. But in game AO applies and is increased.(But it flickers on and off etc still) This makes me feel maybe there is a working flag, but ugh...

Kind of defeated at the moment.

And this sucks too, because when HBAO+ is working, it looks really great.

Either way i'm glad I could at least disable the abysmal in game SSAO. :(

EDIT: ****, I just realized i've been testing this whole time with SweetFX enabled. (For Border shader with SGSSAA) FFS :stewpid::stewpid::stewpid:

NVM: 2F still crashes

8. Dr4Wm4N

Dr4Wm4N Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 3090
    - Dark Souls II -
    Flag:
    0x0000002D (MechWarrior Online)
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||
    General Information:
    Fog & Waterfall friendly, but seems to flicker on and off in certain zones.
    Pictures:
    Comparison with different AOs available for this game here -> http://imgur.com/a/5ASfz#0

PS: Thanks GuruKnight, one of your suggested flags is a good one it seems. :)

EDIT: No bug free after all, seems to flicker on and off in certain zones, and I am not able to find a more stable flag... Annoying because this one fits the game particularly well. :bawl:

EDIT #2: Link updated with new comparison album, the original one can always be found here.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Since I don't own Dark Souls 2 yet, what I suggested was simply a qualified guess.
    "2D" usually works in many games, but as you experienced not always without issues.
    The reason is, that "2D" is one of the most aggressive DX9 AO flags in the driver.

But at least this proves, that there might be a better alternative than "1F" for Dark Souls 2.
    I suggest you start removing or adding individual AO bits to "0x0000002D" using the AO bit value editor in Inspector, until the flickering stops.

"2D" also flickered on and off for me when testing BioShock and Ghostbusters, but in those games "23" was perfect for BS and "2B" for Ghostbusters.
    There might still be a perfect solution, if you look hard enough ;)

10. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    MrBonk, why did you change the HBAO+ flag for Aliens: Colonial Marines back to "2F"?
    It should read "0x00000021" in the list.

11. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    Did you test with SGSSAA or any other forced AA on or off? Forced AA will sometimes cause HBAO+ to flicker or not work at all. I will test myself in a few day after I finish some exams.

12. Dr4Wm4N

Dr4Wm4N Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 3090
    Yeah I've tested with no AA at all and the flickering is still here. I've also tested many flags this afternoon but haven't found anything better... Nvidia, it's up to you now.

13. airshiraz

airshiraz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970
    does anyone know whats hbao flag for trials fusion?

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    That's weird. I must have accidentally undid the change. Sorry :bang:

Also: Since 1F and 2D have issues with DSII it may be worthwhile to point it out in Nvidia's HBAO+ thread. So they know at least. They probably didn't even bother to actually test it themselves when they made their article :stewpid:

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Which specific AO profiles have you tried now?
    And what did each of them result in?
    I think it is important to list that, so we can narrow down which specific AO bit is causing the flickering on/off with "2D".
    Usually it is just a single AO bit that is the culprit.

16. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I think we should only list "0x000A002D" for HBAO+ in Far Cry 2.
    "0x000A0028" is barely noticeable, and really isn't worth using IMO, since it has the same performance hit as "2D".

17. airshiraz

airshiraz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970
    can anyone help me with trials fusion plz
    i cant force anisotropic filtering in this game plz help
    whats hbao+flag for this game?

18. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  19. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I have now also done some HBAO+ testing in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and can confirm, that "0x00000029" does have an effect ingame, even with the Complete 2009 mod.
    But in my opinion does the ingame SSAO enabled through "Complete 2009" look much better, and it even performs a little better too :)

Here are my full AO report on the game (I suggest we add it directly as an additional reference for SSoC in the HBAO+ list):
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10193696&postcount=78

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    With or without DSFix though?

The flag listed in most threads is 004000C0

Personally, once some downsampling is added in, shouldn't be much blur.

I doubt it's as blurry as UE4's Temporal AA though