Gray screen crashes.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Copyright78, Nov 27, 2009.

1. J9_ls1

J9_ls1 New Member

hey guys, I have the XFX 5870 XXX edition and I was getting the brown screen lockup. Basically, I slide core back to what it should be standard, not overclocked, and slid my memory back 50 mhz. It seems stable now. My fans are still auto. I have a 750watt psu and a Asus p6t deluxe v2 motherboard with a i7 920 proc, and 6gb of ram. I hope this helps you all. Thanks for everyone that also suggested messing with hte core timings. I think I am going to keep my card though, I dont think its worth it to RMA it for another one that will probably do the same thing.

2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Now 13 days without "gray screen crashes" with 9.11
    Had tons of them with 9.12 hotfix

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Suffered my first grey stripes today in 2 weeks or more while part way through watching a video on Gametrailers.

4. sakuraba

sakuraba Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6870 1Gb
    In my case, the gray stripes were happening because of jdownloader, that was leaking memory. When the RAM was at 90% of use because of it, the pc became unstable and locked. After i stopped to use jdownloader the problem stopped.

5. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    I've figured out that it has to do with memory / cpu settings.. I can actually make the grey screen happen on the fly now.. If I want the lines and the grey screen I just have to change a couple things and bam! There it is. :) But with my normal settings everything works.

6. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Some form of insight into how you make it happen exactly would possibly be a great help to us all.

7. Khronis

Khronis Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 x2
    Not sure if this will be helpful or not, but whenever I tried to enable the c-states on my i7, I would get a gray screen within 30 minutes of a bootup, regardless of whether my gpu was idle or not. Without c-state though I haven't had a gray screen since November.

Before November I was playing with different settings for my i7, and for some reason instead of getting blue-screens with bad overclocks on my cpu, I often got a gray-screen instead. Was pretty confusing for me.

8. Jack_Bourne

Jack_Bourne Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5770
    RMA Replacement 5770 has been working solid for a week

I've been playing Dragon Age and L4D2 on max settings for hours at a time without a single glitch.

I just spoke with XFX on the phone following up on the RMA and everything is running smooth. I am very happy with the XFX RMA process. The hardest part was getting them to agree to the RMA in the first place, after that everything was very smooth.:rock:

Will report back in another week.

9. Jack_Bourne

Jack_Bourne Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5770
    Well done, good detective work. Send that info on to AMD!

10. wazups2x

wazups2x Active Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    I RMAed my card and just got it back yesterday. I haven't had a single gray screen with the new card, before I was getting a crash all the time. It seems that it was the cards fault.

11. Khronis

Khronis Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 x2
    Didn't see Bodar's posts on that, guess it wasn't just my imagination that my old cpu settings used to cause my gray screens.

12. InCrysis

InCrysis New Member

GPU:
    XFX HD-577A-ZNFC
    Returning after 4 RMA's i have a xfx radeon hd 5770 thankfully i convinced them for a refund. im getting a GRS 250. or a ZFX hd 4670 so i can wait for the dx 11 nvidia cards.

Trust me nvidia is really sgitting on my head right now, my sapphire hd 4650 , never had problems and i paid 78 bucks for it including shipping.

13. Mani202

Mani202 Member

GPU:
    ATI HD5770 1GB
    Important update for HD5770

Just got of the phone to OcUK.

It turns out that they have just recieved a message from ATI reguarding this issue. ATI have just admitted that the card will only run properly on motherboards with PCI-E 2. Older motherboards using PCI-E 1 will not work properly, despite the system requirements not stating this. ATI have effectively miss-sold this product to all producers of the HD5770. The engineer from OcUK stated that allthough a new batch will be brought out soon to resolve this issue, they will not RMA the card as they will test it on Mobo's using PCI-E 2 only.

Any attempts to get a refund from ATI will be passed on to the companys that produced the cards, leaving it to them to decide wether to refund their customers.

I'm appauled that this is acceptable practice for a reputable hardware producer.

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    bah
    they sold it already so they could give two sits

15. Jack_Bourne

Jack_Bourne Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5770
    That's pretty nuts! Now that I have a stable card, I hope it stays that way. It's like a lottery right now to see if you get a good stable card or a grey screening POS.

16. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Well im on PCI-E 2... still getting it.

Anyway im sooo angry over ATI! I cant belive they dont care!!!! Worse then Nvidia! i cant belive this. THe only reason why i switched is the same reason.

17. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Like I said.. a couple settings and you are good.. just dont underclock your cpu or overclock it too much and you are ok... stock clock cpu might bring the screen.. overclocked cpu might cause it as well.. find the balance in between.. Not lioke you should have to do that but it works... Mine have been stable at 5.20ghz but not stable at 3.33ghz.. go figure :) ????

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    When i got my 5870 at launch i tried to overclock and any increase would give me a brown/grey screen or driver not responding message.

Was doing my head in. Since then I fiddled around with cpu settings and whacked up vcore to 1.34v (ya am on a co) and did some testing with occt for 4ghz. Also I had to whack up vcore on the 5870 to 1.25v for 950 core 1225 mem. I found anything other esp the ram would get the driver not responding, although the brown/grey screen crashes went away.

Havent had a single crash now for several months. I keep the fan to 40 percent and temps dont get over 75c.

I am guessing here a bit but I think the 5870 (well mine) is very temperamental when it gets hot (above 75c) and also doesnt like the memory up to much. Memory doesnt make to much diff in terms of fps anyways. I found going from 950 to 1000 core is perhaps another 5fps as well so for me the increase in volts and temps isnt worth the hassle to get it stable.

Perhaps with new paste (mx3) i'll push 1000 but will need 1.3v i think for that...:)

19. mangueJOE

mangueJOE New Member

GPU:
    XFX 5770 1GB
  20. mangueJOE

mangueJOE New Member

GPU:
    XFX 5770 1GB
    Source?