Google claims quantum supremacy for computer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Google has developed a quantum computer that performs calculations much faster than a "traditional" computer by many orders of magnitudes. Google achieved so-called "quantum supremac...

Google claims quantum supremacy for computer

2. Unstizzy

Unstizzy Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Talking out of my butt but I am on board with IBM on this one. Grandiose claims with no evidence.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Quantum, eh? We are stuck with silicon for another decade.

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Wow, I really don't understand any of this, I even tried reading the source article that was linked! I just don't understand it! Well, I understand that Google thinks they've developed the first quantum computer that is calculating something that silicon based computers practically can't do, but beyond that I know nothing!

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I thought you could only keep a current quantum computer running for a microsecond (still enough for loads and loads of computations), so 200 seconds would be huge. But then again, I don't keep myself updated on quantum computers at all.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In the computer world everything is binary, either 0 or 1 in its state, you know these as binary bits, the downside is that there is a finite amount of data can be processed. Quantum computers make use of Qubits, these can be in the state of 0, 1, or both at the same time, and it is that last state that opens up a new binary dimension. That last state gives quantum computers in- and un-imaginable processing power. It is the holy grail of computing for the next few decades but is incredibly complicated to fabricate.

With qubits, the number of possibilities that are represented grows exponentially. Two qubits can exist simultaneously as the four possible two-bit numbers (00, 01, now also have 10, and 11). With three qubits, you can represent all of the possible combinations of a three-bit number (000, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110 and 101) all at the same time. String together 40 qubits and you have the binary representation for every number up to and beyond a trillion. As such you can then perform operations on every one of those different numbers ... all at the same time. So what you have is massively parallel processing tackling that calculation. So what with a current (super)computer would take years, a future quantum computer can do in seconds.

Check this video for a bit more on the topic, qubits are fascinating.

Also, and I was thinking about it a while ago: let me add that quantum computing/qubits can be very dangerous. For example, if it would take 10 years for a supercomputer to crack a strongly encrypted database (just a random example that comes to mind), a quantum computer could tackle that 'problem' in a few seconds or minutes. As such the entire financial system based on encryption could be in potential danger. Then again with quantum computing you an also generate infinitely difficult algorithms.

mohiuddin, Keitosha, yasamoka and 6 others like this.
  7. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    Crysis anybody

mohiuddin likes this.
  8. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Google does not give many details - to be expected since there is a big race between IT giants to achieve first this technological breakthrough - but is it "real" quantum or just an emulator (quantum “logic” imitation)???
    Also even if quantum computers will come to life some day this does not mean that they will replace "classic" silicon based computers (quantum computing is based on gold chips). Sure they will have a place in scientific research, whether prediction patterns, cryptography, nano tech new materials creation but for servers, applications for office and home, entertainment and multimedia silicon based "classic" computers will still be the most efficient and cost effective solution. So these "quantum" computers will not replace but work together with "classic" computers.

Also I die of curiosity (I am a physics engineer working in quantum optics field) to know how they solved the "noise" problem as specified in this article if this is "real" quantum on not logic imitation: https://www.quantamagazine.org/gil-kalais-argument-against-quantum-computers-20180207/
    Quantum optics and quantum physics in general already gave us a very useful application from non linear optics theory: The Scanner/Copy machine so I think that quantum computing is next but let this be for real and not some marketing stunt...
    D-wave is an example of quantum emulator and not "real" quantum computing.

Oh and there is also this problem:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Robbo9999, airbud7 and cryohellinc like this.
  9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Very nicely perceived boss. That's exactly why quantum communications are among the first and foremost on the frontlines of quantum science. There's many programs for this, in particular I'm aware of the Austrian scientists collaborating with the Chinese universities, and this already launched in 2016:
    https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/oeaw/pres...irst-quantum-satellite-successfully-launched/

And this is not the only program, I would bet my money on it, the US (DARPA) and many other countries / governments too search for quantum encrypted communication, if only to make their own comm as hard to decipher as others can, keeping balance. Especially in military environments, I'm fairly sure, there are already some computers / quantum chips which are faster / stronger / more qbits than google here claims to have as a new success.

10. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Quantum computers, in a nutshell:

11. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks for that additional info. I think I can see more now how it works. But I'm still struggling how it can work together if a qubit can exist as all possible combinations at the same time, if that's the case then how do you know and influence what is really stored there if it can be all of them at the same time - does not compute, ha!

12. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Microsofts Quantum computer [​IMG]

Googles claim of a Quantum computer [​IMG]

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ha, I see what you did there!

14. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    and I thought you were just the pretty face of Guru3D!

mohiuddin and airbud7 like this.
  15. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Yes very dangerous... and even more so because the large government and other shady organizations are currently predicting this will happen so that's why they are archiving all current secure encrypted communications and data from major pipes in/out of countries in secret rooms in the entry points funneled to major secret storage facilities, in the hope that soon enough they will be able to crack open all this data for their own use against anyone they want.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As I guess, it works via quantum entanglement. Two particles being entangled, as in the same quantum state, and the moment you measure or interact with one you change it, but you know which state the other had that was not changed... all very hypothetical. So in theory, I guess it all needs a full set of duplicates of quantum particles to work. One that's "saving" the data, and one you can actually interact with. But that said, I'm fairly sure somebody else can explain this better. In more detail too. After all I'm not a physicist.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  17. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I'm not so sure about that... reminds me of the famous IBM prediction for computers when each one was the size of a large room ...

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

18. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Hmm Interesting. Of course with all new technologies there are spin of technologies. I taste a time machine spin off here. 4 Dimensions and all. My guess is people from the future will travel back in time to take our JOBS>

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. Dean_Demon

Dean_Demon Member

GPU:
    Titan RTX 24 GB
    As with any new technology you have to verify your claims but i take the view that this is a google marketing ploy to get an advantage over the competition at least in the short term until someone else proves that it can be done and then you provide your results so until that happens be a skeptic

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Even if Google's claims are kind of far fetched, this is still very cool that a Quantum processor exists. Not that it's going to be ready any time soon, but can't wait to see development of this.