GeForce prices on the rise as well due to cryptocurrency mining

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 21, 2017.

1. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    second hand gpus also demand a almost same price as new retail so why bother waiting for used cards. Resell of used parts as of late the last few years is just nutz.

2. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Easy to scoff at the people mining, but my GTX1080 is giving me one ZCash every 30 days, which is valued currently at £320

Electricity is costing me around £30 a month, so it is worth it. The price of the coin is rising too

Easy to do, so i don't know why anyone wouldn't

Come Xmas i might have 5-6 coins, potentially valued above £500 each

If they end up being worth nothing, it's not exactly cost me an arm and a leg

3. It is all the same with every cryptocurrency. At the beginning of its lifetime, you will get profitability with certain (rather low) hashrate and that profit will constantly be decreasing... ZCash is probably one of the youngest CCs (started March 2017), so here you can still earn some money, even with current-gen GPUs.

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Look, if the latest thing comes and you weren't ready to pre-order/buy, then, it doesn't matter anyway. If you want something in this day and age, just do it man. I got in early with GTX1070 and Switch, no regrets tbh. I haven't got time to f*** about.

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very interesting info. Or If Nvidia or AMD could make a card geared towards for Mining. I mean both companies make cards for Workstation and CAD applications.

6. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I'm not in the market to buy until the next XX80ti rolls around. I just sympathize with people that can't buy a card the second preorders come up and supply tends to suck on launch even if someone can.

Edit: There's also miners buying out preorders to consider.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    People are trying to get $250 for HD 7950s.
    Back in 2014 after the mining craze died down I picked up 2 7950 boost for $250. They were $300 for each card 3 weeks prior.

I could care less about mining, but its pissing me off.

Now I can not get my kid a gpu. Its even hitting the damn 1050Tis now. Seen them up around $160....
    Was gonna get him a used RX 470, they were touching $135 at once point locally, now they are $300.

Gamers hate this crap. Its not personal towards you but it does really piss some of us off.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  9. Prince Valiant

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I think optimized mining software and BIOS/other tweaks have improved performance for them.

10. TheGrey

TheGrey Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    >When all these cards hit the second hand market I'll laugh at them very hard!

Hahahah, yeah, look at all those fools depreciating their assets, what a bunch of twonks. Who does that. Don't forget to laugh V E R Y hard.

> I would write an offensive comment here, but I'll wait for karma to get back at you.

Apparently, buying things in a free market is now considered bad karma by the feel-good armchair economists. I r8 8/8.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I kind of answered this on the first page:

http://www.legitreviews.com/silent-ethereum-mining-evga-geforce-gtx-1060-22-mhs_195529

12. Prince Valiant

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
  13. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Bought a mini GTX 1070 for an HTPC build at Micro Center for $360. Without fail, had buyer's remorse the next day.

Went online to check out other cards--literally the next day, all but the uber expensive models of the GTX 1070 were sold out. The next week, they restocked, but now with a $50-$100 premium and new purchase limitations, with cards being priced at over $1000 if you bought more than two of any specific model.

14. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    If history has taught us anything, it's the early adopters that usually profit from these sort of crazes. Beyond that, only people that have mobilized on a macro-scale, and the people actually selling the cards, that are profiting at this point--average joe who might have one or two machines set up might make a small profit, if not simply recoup their costs, at the expensive of all the time wasted and nail biting that has gone into setting everything up and actually mining.

Saying that cryptomining is profitable at this point is like saying playing the slots at Vegas is profitable.

15. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT

No offence but i don't think you understand how it works

My friend has recently purchased 6 x RX570s and is mining 1.2 ethereum a week

He will make his 2000 pounds back in a few short months (more if the price goes up)

He then still has 6 cards and a pc to sell to recoup more money when he decides to

It is very profitable to mine, even now, but people tend to scoff at those who are taking the initiative and making cash because they often either don't understand how to set it all up and choose a currency, or are not willing to speculate to accumulate

Bitcoin is not the only coin you can mine, nor is Ethereum

There are many, highly profitable coins out there you can mine with your GPUs, and many smaller ones that have the potential to skyrocket. Its quite exciting!

That being said, i do feel for the guy who can't find a GPU online for a decent price, they really should have dedicated mining gpus for this purpose

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Bulllllllllsh!t!

Its absolutely still profitable right now, you obviously are talking out of your behind. It may be less so for people who are trying to get into it right now from scratch, but to compare it to Vegas, please.

Just because Ethereum is crazy right now, doesn't mean that other coins aren't profitable or don't have potential to be. If it can happen with Ethereum, it can happen with others like SIA.

Its a long game, not a short game. Your comment makes no sense at all.

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Miners... pfffft i bet they never watched Gold Rush.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Indeed, the trick is getting into it - early.

But if you are the entering the particular minig craze, the particular coin, multipool, whatever, at the moment that pretty much everyone knows about it, and you are just happily mining like everyone else, you should consider yourself extremly lucky if you manage to recoup the investment.

That much can be said, even without knowing hash rates, expenses, difficulties etc.

19. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    There are a lot of 'what if's in regards to mining, and the major, underlying what if is whether or not Etherium will explode like Bitcoin did. And sure, Eth might be worth X-amount of money eventually, but then you have to find somebody to trade it for cold, hard cash. You can apply any arbitrary amount to a currency, but it's only worth as much as other people willing to trade for it. Last time I checked, you can't buy your groceries with Eth.

And then there's the 'what if' of whether Feds get wise about the mysterious amounts of money entering your banking account--nothing like a surprise audit to put a pep in your step.

Or what if the equivalent that happened to Mt. Gox happens to Eth, or any other currency--literally all that time and money stolen beneath your feet by hackers and cons.

People have no room to judge you for mining, just as you have no room to judge other people when they're not. At the end of the day, you're taking a risk--maybe a calculated risk, but a risk none-the-less.

20. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    It seems I won't be updating my card any time soon. I was used to getting a GTX x70 card in the EUR 360-390 range, then they started charging that much for the seriously inferior X60 cards, and now this. I'd better clean out all the dust out of my card for the summer, because it'll have to last me a very long time!