GeForce GTX Series 11 back in the picture? (GeForce GTX 1160 and RTX 2060)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 21, 2018.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Spock's Logic Center is gone need repairs

2. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    Right this moment, I need RTX as bad as a hump on the back. I'd gladly buy a "castrated" 2060/2070 if the price is actually reasonable. Call me back and tease me with RTX if it's an actual thing, in many games and in VR. (Which, as it seems, will only happen "in the future", if at all). Don't think I was ever let down so much with new GPUs as with this latest line of GPUs by Nvidia.

3. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    Sorta contradicts the "worst year for GPU sales", doesn't it? Whether the base of people who buy the latest even if it's just a 5% performance improvement is "sizable", we could debate...

4. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    None of these boobs has ever had to deal with chronic acne

tensai28 likes this.

5. definfinite

definfinite Member

GPU:
    GG6602G
    I wonder at what pricepoint the RTX 2060 will land. I guess the reason behind the increased prices for 2070/2080/2080TI is the additional RTX technology. Looking at the real-world results it seems like it will require multiple generations before an end user will see real difference. As if users are supporting the developement of a future technology. Let's just hope it will pay out sooner than later and we will see considerably better graphics on reasonably priced hardware, as currently the RTX lineup is massively overpriced for a demo feature.

6. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    This smells of desperate measures / damage limitation. RTX is being moved further away from mainstream.

The expected/minimal performance increase from a 1080ti has already been met with a 2080ti (non RTX increase).
    If a 1180ti was to offer close to the same performance increase as a 2080ti but at any significant price below a 2080ti, then all those who justified their 2080ti with performance increase as the primary reason (majority??) are going to be a bit p'd off. In throwing in a hard divide between RTX and GTX I'd suggest NVidia are about to shoot themselves in the foot again. Despite apparent recent optimisations, we all know/can see that developers still have to compromise significantly in implementing RTX features (particularly RT) - this applies for the 2080ti also.
    It's certainly going to be an interesting time ahead.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  7. Ivo

Ivo Active Member

GPU:
    6550m @ 735/975
    It is interesting if they will continue with this naming scheme even on the next generation of cards? Apparently given the RTX performance of the 2080, there will be a long wait until we have an all RTX capable line up.

8. Xdrqgol

Xdrqgol Member

GPU:
    1070GTX
    I just hope AMD 3x series will be good enough to consider.

9. hell_knight

hell_knight Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G
    Let’s see how the prices go..Nvidia is charging for low end what they charged for high end a few years back :(

10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    They are realizing they should have pulled this whole RTX ray tracing move off on a die shrink to 7nm. Nvidia has made a cluster F of this entire release. Hopefully they move to 7nm soon so they can get the chip sizes and costs back down to something reasonable.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's where Riva 128 got you and everyone else. If people did not buy that as it was largely incompatible while having great performance at tasks it could do, nVidia would be gone and you would have few other GPU manufacturers around.
    Not blaming you, but nVidia does same thing over and over again since then.

They improve on something and then they push that something into game industry... making people want those new GPUs as they do "well" on new thing.
    (In this latest instance, new GPUs are requirement as features are not allowed on older generation.)

tunejunky likes this.
  12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

they knew this before the release. Nvidia shot themselves in the foot out of competitiveness with the early release of RTX. their sole motivation was stealing thunder from AMD's process shrink and new uArch. and because of the surplus stock having to be sold off with under 5% margin (over cost) after over building Pascal, they were punished by the market losing 35% of their market valuation.
    AMD's focus on efficiency (of production) has paid off in spades with a + 40% rise in profit margins.
    if Nvidia did nothing, and sold off 10xx at "normal" rates it would've been better off. Turing was always intended for 7nm, as that alone would guarantee higher yields and therefore a lower cost.
    Nvidia has seen the light and has contracted with TSMC for a 7nm Turing refresh. whether that saves Jen-Tsuns job is another question for a later date.

Fox2232 and chispy like this.
  13. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    1. If they keep selling out, why isn't Nvidia making enough cards to keep everyone stocked? If $1200 cards are the new normal, shouldn't they be in stock everywhere?

2. Please qualify "a ton".

3. I'm not shitting on the cards - they're fine. They just don't provide the same level of price-to-performance increase we saw from Kepler to Maxwell, or Maxwell to Pascal, and their price-points for each tier are higher than they have been historically. This isn't opinion - it's an objectively verifiable fact.

Fox2232 and tunejunky like this.
  14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    just a note on the realities of consumer electronics:

Nvidia can sell twice as many rtx 2070's and not make half as much as AMD with a RX590.

that is a fact. AMD has a 40% profit margin across the board. and the RX 590 is (from a business perspective) pure cash as the costs involved have been steadily reduced and with a process of 12nm, even more efficient and profitable.
    furthermore, and not as a fanboy, Nvidia has been hamstrung by short term thinking and by second-guessing themselves with Pascal.
    the literal shiploads of 10xx cards coming back into the supply chain in the summer spooked the stockmarket and collapsed the profit margin of their most profitable cards.
    Turing is not, and will not be as profitable as Pascal until the die-shrink refresh this time next year.

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    not sure about that
    590' are like 7 cards at newegg 580 8g there are like 149' plus three free games with the 590
    so they did not plan it out to replace the 580 just to sell along side it.
    even if they sell more that means more boxes more shipping more touching the 2070 it could be nv makes as much on 1 2070 than amd does on two 590's
    no one really knows
    besides there have been no real price cuts in the 10x0 cards anyway but amd will lower price to remove from shelves(gpu/cpu)
    not defending high prices just saying they could sell less and make more
    unless they got some fine Soppressata with thosse rtx cores the price bar is two levels too high imho

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

actually, i do know about this.
    the RX 590, as i pointed out, is a cash cow with zero developmental costs. it also serves to finish out a contract with GloFlo.
    the RTX series was made at an inefficient process node for the die size. it was certainly meant to be made at a smaller node, but Nvidia was complacent and wasn't keeping up with the fab progress. if Nvidia makes 15% profit on a RTX 2070 that would be outstanding news. but they aren't making that much because of low yields from a huge die at an old process node.

meanwhile AMD averages 40% profit on everything they make.

you don't have to trust me, go read some business publications. Nvidia is in deep financial doo-doo because of bad bets they have placed with crypto and RTX.
    AMD also is impacted by the crypto collapse, but because of manufacturing efficiency they are raking in cash hand over fist. Lisa Su's first job was to increase the already formidable efficiency of AMD's manufacturing.

17. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Should I bye or should I WAIT? I can get a really good price for my Water cooled Asus 1080ti Strix OC! HELP!

18. Akumu

Akumu Guest

GPU:
    4000mhz 16gb g.skill
    Does this mean there will be an 11 series for the 2080 ti. Id be interested in that...

19. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    ^ I'd also like to know this. If a 1180ti came out, performed exactly the same in 4k and vr as the 2080ti minus the ray tracing ability, at a lower price point, that would really suck. I would have waited.
    ...Actually I probably wouldn't. I was tired of waiting to get my games in 4k.

20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    please note: 11xx series is cut down Turing w/o RT
    you will have the 1160 and 1150 (as of now)